U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-19-2014, 08:41 AM
 
1,867 posts, read 1,212,206 times
Reputation: 135

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post
WHICH IS THE LAW OF GOD?

The Old Testament? The New Testament? Or the Gospel?...

The commandments of the Gospel, are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many Old Testament commandments commands death sentences, wars and slavery.

The Law of God taught by Jesus Christ

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7:12)

What God wants is the mercy

"If you had known what this means, I want mercy and not sacrifice, you wouldn’t have condemned the innocent" (Matthew 12:7)

Jesus commanded to forgive seventy times seven:

"Then Peter came and said: Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Till seven? Jesus said: I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven." (Matthew 18 :21-22)

Jesus speaks to the pharisees about the Law

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had left the Sadducees speechless, they met together. One of them, a legal expert, tested him. Teacher, what is the greatest commandment in the Law? He replied, “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your being, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: You must love your neighbor as you love yourself. All the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commands” (Matthew 22:34-40)

Jesus teaches to a rich man, the precepts of the Law

"And behold, one came to him and said, Teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why askest thou me concerning that which is good? One there is who is good: but if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19:16-22)

These are the commandments of the Gospel, which are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many Old Testament commandments commands death sentences, wars and slavery.

So which is the law that the Christians must follow?

The law that Jesus CAME NOT TO ABOLISH is the GOSPEL'S LAW

It's not old testament vs. new testament or both vs. the gospel message of the birth, death
and resurrection of Jesus really.

Law today is talking about anything in the bible beside cleaning laws, animal offerings, circumcision
and a natural high priest today.

That mean law today is Malachi 3:8 as well as John 3:5.

That mean Proverbs 20:1 is law today as well as John 17:9.

That mean Psalms 133:1 is law today as well as Matthew 4:4.

That mean Jeremiah 10:23 is law today as well as Matthew 15:14.

That mean Psalms 1 is law today as well as Matthew 7:6.

That mean Exodus 20 is law today as well as Matthew 5.

That mean Jeremiah 3:15 is law today as well as Galations 1:8-9.

Law is Ephesians 2:8 today but so is Romans 6:1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2014, 09:14 AM
 
1,534 posts, read 1,643,879 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post
Jesus Christ tell us that the Law and the prophets is this:

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7: 12)
You need to understand that Christ taught/referenced [from] the OT. So when He used the words 'the law and the prophets' He was referring to what's written in the OT. The "law" is what's written in the first 5 books and the 'prophets' are the "testimonies" written in the OT.

Insert these words when you read 'law' and "prophets"

[1] law=the first 5 books

[2] testimony=the Prophets
Ps 19:7 The law of Yahweh is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of Yahweh is sure, making wise the simple.

Isa 8:16 Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.

Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Also in regards to you comment, "the law of the Gospel," I must ask first, "where are you getting the idea the 'gospel' has a law involved with it" And second, what is your definition of the word 'gospel' and what is the gospel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 04:00 PM
 
206 posts, read 182,562 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
You need to understand that Christ taught/referenced [from] the OT. So when He used the words 'the law and the prophets' He was referring to what's written in the OT. The "law" is what's written in the first 5 books and the 'prophets' are the "testimonies" written in the OT.

Insert these words when you read 'law' and "prophets"

[1] law=the first 5 books
Jesus Christ abolished many precepts of the Old Testament... The Law that Jesus came not to abolish is the Law of the Gospel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post

Jesus Christ did not come to abolish true Law of God ... But Jesus Christ abolished many precepts of the Old Testament because they were not true Law of God...

The Law that Jesus came not to abolish is the Law of the Gospel, which is the true Law of God. But Jesus Christ abolished many commandments of the Old Testament because they were not God's true Law. The Gospel says so:


"It was also said, 'Whoever divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce. Nevertheless I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for the cause of prostitution, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced, commits adultery" (Matthew 5:...)


The jews of that time wrote in the law of the Old Testament that could separated from women for many reasons when they tired of them, but Jesus abolished these commandments. These commandments were written into the Old Testament and Jesus Christ abolished them.

"Again you have heard that it was said by them of old not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord. Nevertheless I tell you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for is the footstool of his feet, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because you can not do a single white or black hair. But let your ' Yes, yes, no, no, because what is more than these cometh of evil" (Matthew 5:...)

The Jews were accustomed to swear in many cases, and so wrote it in the laws of the Old Testament... The Lord abolished these precepts of the oaths.


The law of retaliation ("Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth") ABOLISHED BY JESUS CHRIST

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also, and whosoever want to get to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your coat also, and whosoever shall compel thee to go one mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away" (Matthew 5:...)

The Jews were in the habit of applying the talionis law (law of revenge) in their judgments (eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn... and so on.), And so they wrote it in the laws of the old Testament (Exodus 21:24-25). The Lord abolished this law of "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" because it was a law that did not included forgiveness or mercy, then weren't God's Law, because what God likes is the mercy.


"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you...." (Matthew 5...)

The Jews, often beheaded or hanged his enemies, and not only to them, but then, as says the laws of the Old Testament, entered the conquered peoples and in many cases children and women were slaughtered... Jesus Christ abolished these Old Testament laws and commands us to love our enemies.


Other Old Testament laws abolished by Jesus Christ:

"If a man commits adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be dead". (Leviticus 20:10)

"And the daughter of any priest, if she fornicate, dishonor his father; she shall be burnt with fire" (Leviticus 21:9)


That Is not what Jesus did with the adulterous woman in the Gospel Example:

"And the scribes and the Pharisees bring a woman taken in adultery; and having set her in the midst, they say unto him, Teacher, this woman hath been taken in adultery, in the very act. Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such: what then sayest thou of her? And this they said, trying him, that they might have whereof to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground.

But when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again he stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground. And they, when they heard it, went out one by one, beginning from the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the midst. And Jesus lifted up himself, and said unto her, Woman, where are they? did no man condemn thee? And she said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said, Neither do I condemn thee: go thy way; from henceforth sin no more. Again therefore Jesus spake unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life". (Juan 8:3-12)

With this teaching, Jesus abolished the Old Testament commandments that ordered kill people for various reasons. So far we have collected some examples of Old Testament commandments that Jesus abolished, but the argument that Jesus had with the Jews because of the law, is much broader and at this discussion is devoted a large part of the Gospel. Jesus taught us the true law of God.

ABOUT THE SHABBAT'S LAW OF THE OLD TESTAMENT

Says the Old Testament:

"And while the children of Israel in the wilderness , they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation, and put him in prison, because was not declared what should be done to him. and the Lord said to Moses: man dies, all the congregation shall stone him outside the camp. congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him, and died, as the LORD commanded Moses" (Numbers 15: 32-36)

That's not what Jesus commanded us:

"At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on the Sabbath, and His disciples were hungry and began to pluck heads of grain and eat. Seeing the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do on the day rest. But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did when he and those with him were hungry, how he entered the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful to eat neither he nor those who were with him, but only for the priests ? or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless? for I say that one greater than the temple is here. and if you had known what this means, I desire mercy and not sacrifice, not have condemned the innocent, for the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath. " (Matthew 12: 1-8)


"Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath. The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed. He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk.........

And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day. But Jesus answered them,
My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God" (John 5: 8-18)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 PM
 
206 posts, read 182,562 times
Reputation: 19
Default The law that Jesus CAME NOT TO ABOLISH is the GOSPEL'S LAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Also in regards to you comment, "the law of the Gospel," I must ask first, "where are you getting the idea the 'gospel' has a law involved with it" And second, what is your definition of the word 'gospel' and what is the gospel?
Jesucrisro taught us the true Law of God ...
Jesucrisro says so:


Quote:
Originally Posted by by Porque77[B
][/b]
WHICH IS THE LAW OF GOD?

The Old Testament? The New Testament? Or the Gospel?...

The commandments of the Gospel, are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many Old Testament commandments commands death sentences, wars and slavery.

The Law of God taught by Jesus Christ

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7:12)

What God wants is the mercy

"If you had known what this means, I want mercy and not sacrifice, you wouldn’t have condemned the innocent" (Matthew 12:7)

Jesus commanded to forgive seventy times seven:

"Then Peter came and said: Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Till seven? Jesus said: I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven." (Matthew 18 :21-22)

Jesus speaks to the pharisees about the Law

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had left the Sadducees speechless, they met together. One of them, a legal expert, tested him. Teacher, what is the greatest commandment in the Law? He replied, “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your being, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: You must love your neighbor as you love yourself. All the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commands” (Matthew 22:34-40)

Jesus teaches to a rich man, the precepts of the Law

"And behold, one came to him and said, Teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why askest thou me concerning that which is good? One there is who is good: but if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19:16-22)

These are the commandments of the Gospel, which are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many Old Testament commandments commands death sentences, wars and slavery.

So which is the law that the Christians must follow?

The law that Jesus CAME NOT TO ABOLISH is the GOSPEL'S LAW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 05:36 PM
 
206 posts, read 182,562 times
Reputation: 19
Default The commandments of the Old Testament are not equal to the commandments of the Gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post
That mean Exodus 20 is law today as well as Matthew 5.
Hello tony. The commandments of the Old Testament are not equal to the commandments of the Gospel.

The Ten Commandments of the Old Testament are not equal to the commandments that teach us the gospel, there are big differences. I'll give an example: The Old Testament tells us:

"Keep the Sabbath day to sanctify it, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee. Six days thou shalt labor, and shalt do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: thou shalt not do any work therein, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maid, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, neither any of thy cattle, nor the stranger that is within thy gates: that thy manservant and thy maid may rest as well as thou". (Deut. 5: 12-15).

On the contrary, the Gospel tells us:

"Jesus said unto him, Rise: take up thy bed, and walk. And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and the same day was the Sabbath. The Jews therefore said to him that was made whole, It is the Sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed. He answered them, He that made me whole he said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk" (John 5: 8-11)

"And therefore the Jews did persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the Sabbath day. But Jesus answered them, My father worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him: not only because he had broken the Sabbath: but said also that God was his Father, and made himself equal with God"(John 5: 16-18)


Jesus did not respected and not fulfilled those laws about the Sabbath written in the Ten Commandments the Old Testament, and it is because Jesus Christ was God and those Old Testament laws were not God's law.

YOU WILL NOT KILL

The commandment "Thou shalt not kill" written in the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament (Deuteronomy 5: 17 "Thou shalt not kill"...) Jesus also gave in the Gospel (Matthew 19: 18 "Thou shalt not kill"...). But in the other laws of the Old Testament, Old Testament scribes forgot this command and began writing God had commanded them to hurt and kill the men. So says the law of the Old Testament:

"Also if men strive and hurt a woman with child, so that her child depart from her and death follow not, he shall be surely punished, according as the woman’s husband shall appoint him, or he shall pay as the Judges determine. But if death follow, then thou shalt pay life for life. Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe".(Exodus 21:22-25).

God had commanded from the beginning "Thou shalt not kill", and after in the laws of the Old Testament, the scribes wrote that God had sent to war and kill all the men, women and children of the conquered peoples:

"And Moses was angry with the captains of the host, with the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the war and battle. And Moses said unto them, What? have ye saved all the women?.........Now therefore, slay all the males among the children, and kill all the women that have known man by carnal copulation" (Numbers verses 31)

"Then came out Sihon to meet us, himself with all his people to fight at Jahaz. But the Lord our God delivered him into our power, and we smote him, and his sons, and all his people. And we took all his cities the same time, and destroyed every city, men, and women, and children: we let nothing remain". (Deuteronomy 2: 32-34)


God had commanded men from the beginning "Thou shalt not kill", and after, the leaders of the people and their scribes wrote in the laws of the Old Testament that God commanded them to kill men for various reasons. Jesus Christ is God who came to show us the true Law of God and the commandments of love, mercy and forgiveness that teaches us the Gospel and which give us back the true law of God. The Gospel says so:

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. But I say unto you, Resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. And whosoever will compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh, and from him that would borrow of thee, turn not away.

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies: bless them that curse you: do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which hurt you, and persecute you"(Matthew 5,38-44)

Jesus gave to Moses the Commandment: "Thou shalt not kill", and, as we have seen, the Old Testament laws do not always keep this commandment. So it is clear that the laws of the Old Testament are mixed with the commandments of men, which drowned the commandments of God. Jesus Christ is God, who gave us back the true Law that God gave to Moses. And this law is the law of the Gospel.

COMMANDED GOD THAT MEN WERE SLAVES OF OTHER MEN?

Commanded God that men were slaves of other men?

The 10 Commandments of the Old Testament's laws, about slaves, also say:

Thou shalt not desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field or his manslave or his maidslave, his ox or his ass or any thing that is thy neighbour's.
(Deutoro. 5: 21).

This commandment is contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ in the Gospel. Jesus Christ said to a man who had great wealth:

"Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go, sell that thou hast, and give it to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come, and follow me" (Matthew 19: 16-22)

According to the Old Testament commandment, I should not desire anything from my neighbor although I do not have anything, and my neighbor can wish all things what have their neighbors, and even their lives, taking them as slaves ... This commandment is a contradiction in itself and completely contradicts what Jesus says in the Gospel: "You will love your neighbor as yourself".


Is not equal say to those living in poverty they not should desire anything from those with great wealth than tell those who have great wealth sell all what they have and give all what they have to the poor. And this is the great difference between the commandments of the Old Testament and the commandments of the Gospel.

If I should not desire anything that belongs to my neighbor (as says the tenth commandment of Jewish law), then my neighbor should not wish to have his neighbor as slave, BECAUSE HE WANT TO REMOVE THE FREEDOM TO HIM... And freedom is a treasure that belongs to every man, then we remove a great treasure that belongs to him (freedom).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 AM
 
206 posts, read 182,562 times
Reputation: 19
Default The Gospel returns us the true God's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
You need to understand that Christ taught/referenced [from] the OT. So when He used the words 'the law and the prophets' He was referring to what's written in the OT. The "law" is what's written in the first 5 books and the 'prophets' are the "testimonies" written in the OT.
Hello mshipmate. True God's Law is the Law that Jesus Christ taught in the Gospel. The world is going from bad to worse, and religions also. After having known the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the men came back to the law of the Old Testament which had been abolished by Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is God made ​​man and He brought us the true Law of God and abolished many commandments of the Old Testament because they were not the true law of God, only were precepts of men.


The prophets say that God's law was changed by the scribes. The prophets say so:

"...but my people know not the ordinance of the LORD. "How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us'? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes has made it into a lie". (Jeremiah 8:7-8)

"Woe to those who give wicked laws and scribes who write tyrannical prescriptions to set aside the poor and violate the rights of the underdog of my people, to rob widows and orphans" (Isaiah 10.1 -2)

"And the land is defiled under its inhabitants, because they have transgressed the laws, changed the commandments, broken the everlasting covenant" (Isaiah 24: 5-6).

And Jesus Christ, remembering the words of the prophet Isaiah, also told the scribes and Pharisees who were teaching the commandments of men:

"Hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying,
This people honors me with their lips;
But their heart is far from me.
But in vain they do worship me,
Teaching for doctrines commandments of men
" (Matthew 15.7-9


Dear friends, this is what happened, what the prophets tell us: The God's law was changed by the scribes. For this reason, the Old Testament's law is different to the commandments of Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 PM
 
206 posts, read 182,562 times
Reputation: 19
Default Many laws of the Old Testament are contrary to the Law that Jesus taught us in the Gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate
You need to understand that Christ taught/referenced [from] the OT. So when He used the words 'the law and the prophets' He was referring to what's written in the OT. The "law" is what's written in the first 5 books and the 'prophets' are the "testimonies" written in the OT.
Friend mshipmate, the Gospel teaches commandments that are totally contrary to many Old Testament commandments.

Many laws of the Old Testament are contrary to the Law that Jesus taught us in the Gospel because do not contemplate the mercy neither forgiveness. Therefore, they are an unbearable burden. Here are some of these Old Testament laws:

"And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is infamy: they shall burn him and them with fire, that there be no infamy among you". (Leviticus 20:14)

" And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the *****, she profaneth her father: she shall be burned with fire". (Leviticus 21:9)

" And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour, as he hath done, so shall it be done to him; breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him". (Leviticus 24:19-20)

" If a man have an unmanageable and rebellious son, who hearkeneth not unto the voice of his father, nor unto the voice of his mother, and they have chastened him, but he hearkeneth not unto them; then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; and they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is unmanageable and rebellious, he hearkeneth not unto our voice; he is a profligate and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. And thou shalt put evil away from thy midst; and all Israel shall hear and fear". (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

" When men fight together one with another, and the wife of the one come near to rescue her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and stretch out her hand, and seize him by his secret parts, thou shalt cut off her hand; thine eye shall not spare". (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)


All these laws are contrary to the law that Jesus taught us in the Gospel, which command forgive, not to hurt anyone, no kill. Jesus Christ command us to have mercy. So, Jesus Christ, with His teaching of the Gospel (love, mercy and forgiveness), abolished all those cruel laws of the Old Testament, because they were not God's Law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2014, 04:03 AM
 
206 posts, read 182,562 times
Reputation: 19
Default Many laws of the Old Testament are contrary to the Law that Jesus taught us in the Gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate
You need to understand that Christ taught/referenced [from] the OT. So when He used the words 'the law and the prophets' He was referring to what's written in the OT. The "law" is what's written in the first 5 books and the 'prophets' are the "testimonies" written in the OT.
You did not answer. Did you understand what I said? I'll remember you :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post
Friend mshipmate, the Gospel teaches commandments that are totally contrary to many Old Testament commandments.

Many laws of the Old Testament are contrary to the Law that Jesus taught us in the Gospel because do not contemplate the mercy neither forgiveness. Therefore, they are an unbearable burden. Here are some of these Old Testament laws:

"And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is infamy: they shall burn him and them with fire, that there be no infamy among you". (Leviticus 20:14)

" And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the *****, she profaneth her father: she shall be burned with fire". (Leviticus 21:9)

" And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour, as he hath done, so shall it be done to him; breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him". (Leviticus 24:19-20)

" If a man have an unmanageable and rebellious son, who hearkeneth not unto the voice of his father, nor unto the voice of his mother, and they have chastened him, but he hearkeneth not unto them; then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; and they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is unmanageable and rebellious, he hearkeneth not unto our voice; he is a profligate and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. And thou shalt put evil away from thy midst; and all Israel shall hear and fear". (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

" When men fight together one with another, and the wife of the one come near to rescue her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and stretch out her hand, and seize him by his secret parts, thou shalt cut off her hand; thine eye shall not spare". (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)


All these laws are contrary to the law that Jesus taught us in the Gospel, which command forgive, not to hurt anyone, no kill. Jesus Christ command us to have mercy. So, Jesus Christ, with His teaching of the Gospel (love, mercy and forgiveness), abolished all those cruel laws of the Old Testament, because they were not God's Law.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 11:20 AM
 
206 posts, read 182,562 times
Reputation: 19
Default The Gospel is the one that really teaches love and forgiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
You need to understand that Christ taught/referenced [from] the OT. ......

The commands are the only way you will have peace in your heart. "If only you would have kept my commands, your peace would have been like a river"(Isaiah 48:18). God knows what will make the heart truly rejoice, because that's how he created it and that by only walking in his ways. When you hate your enemy, your soul will be hurt, when you don't forgive your heart will be in bitterness and so on...
True Christian teaching is actually only the Gospel, which is the true teaching of the Christians. And in the Gospel there is no hate but love. Christians should consider the other scriptures in the light of the Gospel, and must understand that everything what contradict the Gospel is not true Christian teaching.

Thus, we can see that many laws of the Old Testament are contrary to the Gospel and were abolished by Jesus Christ, therefore, those laws were not true Law of God because Jesus came not to abolish the true law of God. All what Jesus abolished from the old testament were only precepts of men.

The Gospel is the one that really teaches love and forgiveness:

"If you had known what this means, I want mercy and not sacrifice, you wouldn’t have condemned the innocent" (Matthew 12: 7)

Jesus commanded to forgive seventy times seven:

"Then Peter came and said: Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Till seven? Jesus said: I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven." (Matthew 18: 21-22)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2014, 05:53 PM
 
206 posts, read 182,562 times
Reputation: 19
Default The true commandments of God are the commandments that Jesus teaches us in the Gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony
That mean Exodus 20 is law today as well as Matthew 5.
The Commandments on the so-called "Decalogue" of the Old Testament are not equal to the commandments that Jesus teaches us in the Gospel. Jesus Christ in the Gospel reveals the true commandments God gave to Moses. So the Gospel tells us:

"if thou wouldest enter into life,
keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19: 16-22

These are the true commandments of God, and not what are written in the Old Testament, because in the Old Testament there are commandments that allow men be owners of other men and have them as slaves, and slavery is totally contrary to the commandments of Jesus Christ.

The commandments written in the Old Testament that are contrary to the teachings of the Gospel, are not true Law of God, for Jesus Christ is God who became man, and He taught us in the Gospel the true Law given by God to men from always and forever.

Last edited by Porque77; 05-25-2014 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top