U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2013, 07:51 AM
 
17,602 posts, read 10,672,016 times
Reputation: 8520

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post

WHICH IS THE LAW OF GOD?


The Old Testament? The New Testament? Or the Gospel?...

The commandments of the Gospel, are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many Old Testament commandments commands death sentences, wars and slavery.

The Law of God taught by Jesus Christ

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7:12)

What God wants is the mercy

"If you had known what this means, I want mercy and not sacrifice, you wouldn’t have condemned the innocent" (Matthew 12:7)

Jesus commanded to forgive seventy times seven:

"Then Peter came and said: Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Till seven? Jesus said: I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven." (Matthew 18 :21-22)

Jesus speaks to the pharisees about the Law

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had left the Sadducees speechless, they met together. One of them, a legal expert, tested him. Teacher, what is the greatest commandment in the Law? He replied, “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your being, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: You must love your neighbor as you love yourself. All the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commands” (Matthew 22:34-40)

Jesus teaches to a rich man, the precepts of the Law

"And behold, one came to him and said, Teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why askest thou me concerning that which is good? One there is who is good: but if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19:16-22)

These are the commandments of the Gospel, which are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many Old Testament commandments commands death sentences, wars and slavery.

So which is the law that the Christians must follow?

The law that Jesus CAME NOT TO ABOLISH is the GOSPEL'S LAW


None of the above today. The "law" we follow is God's as expressed by The Apostles under inspiration. Jesus was still under the old Law of Moses, that he fulfilled with his death, ending it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2013, 04:46 PM
 
206 posts, read 182,760 times
Reputation: 19
Default The true Law that God gave to Moses is the Gospel's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
None of the above today. The "law" we follow is God's as expressed by The Apostles under inspiration. Jesus was still under the old Law of Moses, that he fulfilled with his death, ending it.
The commandments that Jesus teaches us in the Gospel are the true Law that God gave to Moses. But many Old Testament laws are laws of death, slavery, wars, sacrifices... These laws were not the Law that God had actually given to Moses.

All your confusion comes to you for having left the Law and the Gospel commandments to follow religious philosophies .

You, the Judaizers , insist and insist that all laws of death and slavery of the Old Testament are Law of God , hence your confusion, because, supported in the difficult points of Paul's letters , speak about the Law incomprehensible things that are not equal to the teaching of the Gospel.

The Gospel is clear and simple. The Gospel abolished many commandments of the Old Testament , simply because they were not commandments of God.

However, the law and the commandments that Jesus teaches us in the Gospel are easy to understand, and the Grace is in keeping the commandments of God as taught by Jesus Christ.

And for you do not confuse to others, now I put the Law and the commandments as Jesus teaches, to understand that YES we are under the law (under the Law of Christ):

"All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you , do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets." (Matthew 7:12)

Jesus taught the Law in precepts to a rich young man:

"Then one came and said unto him, Good Teacher , what good must I do to have eternal life? He said to him, Why do you call me good? there is none good but one: God. But if thou wilt enter into life, keep the . commandments. He said: Which? Jesus said: Thou shalt not kill, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not bear false witness, honour thy father and thy mother, and , thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Young said: all these have I kept from my youth up, what lack I yet. Jesus said: If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor , and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come and follow me. Hearing the young man saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions " (Matthew 19:16-22 )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2013, 09:10 AM
 
1,867 posts, read 1,213,530 times
Reputation: 135
Default 2 Timothy 3:16 says it all

All the bible is God's law.

Just a matter of law for today vs. expired law today---2 Timothy 2:15 and John 1:17.

The first 5 books of the bible is called the Law by Moses.

That's dealing with the 613 old law ordinances which makes up expired law today or law we're not under now.

Everything else is the law to go to heaven today---John 8:32 and Matthew 5:17-18.

That mean obey Malachi 3:8 to go to heaven.

That mean obey Psalms 1 to go to heaven.

That mean obey Psalms 107:2 to go to heaven.

That mean believe Isaiah 64:6 to go to heaven.

That mean believe Jeremiah 10:23 to go to heaven.

That mean obey Psalms 119:105 to go to heaven.

Obey John 3:5 if you going to heaven.

Obey 1 Peter 3:3 if you going to heaven.

Obey John 8:31 if you going to heaven.

Obey 1 Timothy 6 if you going to heaven.

Obey 2 Thess. 3:10 if you going to heaven.

Obey Matthew 7:6 if you going to heaven.

Etc. , etc. , etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 AM
 
206 posts, read 182,760 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post
All the bible is God's law.

Just a matter of law for today vs. expired law today---2 Timothy 2:15 and John 1:17.

The first 5 books of the bible is called the Law by Moses.

That's dealing with the 613 old law ordinances which makes up expired law today or law we're not under now.
1 - If the entire Bible is the word of God , why Catholics have 72 books in their bibles?, why Protestants have 66 books?, why the Jews have only 45 (the Old Testament)?, why Muslims do have the old Testament and the Koran of Mohammed?

Jesus commanded not to preach the Old Testament laws. Jesus Christ commanded preach only the Gospel to all people:

"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned". (Mark 16:15-16)

2 - The True Law of God is from always to everlasting, not expired. The laws expired are the Old Testament laws that Jesus Christ abolished (Matthew 5:31-48 and the entire context of the Gospe).

3 - The first five books are called "law of Moses", but the true Law that God gave to Moses is the Law that Jesus taught us in the Gospel, because Jesus tells us this is the Law and the Prophets (Matthew 7:12).

4 - Many of the 613 commandments of the Old Testament were abolished by Jesus Christ, and Christians are not under those orders of the Old Testament, because many of them were only precepts of men.

True Law of God
taught by Jesus Christ tells us so:

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7: 12)

Jesus teaches to a rich man, the precepts of the Law

"And behold, one came to him and said, Teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why askest thou me concerning that which is good? One there is who is good: but if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19: 16-22

These are the commandments of the Gospel, which are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many Old Testament commandments commands death sentences, wars and slavery.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 11:03 AM
 
206 posts, read 182,760 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post
1 - If the entire Bible is the word of God , why Catholics have 72 books in their bibles?, why Protestants have 66 books?, why the Jews have only 45 (the Old Testament)?, why Muslims do have the old Testament and the Koran of Mohammed?

Jesus commanded not to preach the Old Testament laws. Jesus Christ commanded preach only the Gospel to all people:

"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned". (Mark 16:15-16)

2 - The True Law of God is from always to everlasting, not expired. The laws expired are the Old Testament laws that Jesus Christ abolished (Matthew 5:31-48 and the entire context of the Gospe).

3 - The first five books are called "law of Moses", but the true Law that God gave to Moses is the Law that Jesus taught us in the Gospel, because Jesus tells us this is the Law and the Prophets (Matthew 7:12).

4 - Many of the 613 commandments of the Old Testament were abolished by Jesus Christ, and Christians are not under those orders of the Old Testament, because many of them were only precepts of men.

True Law of God
taught by Jesus Christ tells us so:

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7: 12)

Jesus teaches to a rich man, the precepts of the Law

"And behold, one came to him and said, Teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why askest thou me concerning that which is good? One there is who is good: but if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19: 16-22

These are the commandments of the Gospel, which are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many Old Testament commandments commands death sentences, wars and slavery.
The prophets tell us that the scribes had changed the God's Law

The Law were given by God to Moses, but after the years and centuries, the prophets tell us that the scribes changed the law of God. So tell us the prophets:

"...but my people know not the ordinance of the LORD. "How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us'? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes has made it into a lie". (Jeremiah 8:7-8)

"And the land is defiled under its inhabitants, because they have transgressed the laws, changed the commandments, broken the everlasting covenant" (Isaiah 24: 5-6).

And Jesus Christ, remembering the words of the prophet Isaiah, also told the scribes and Pharisees who were teaching the commandments of men:

"Hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying,
This people honors me with their lips;
But their heart is far from me.
But in vain they do worship me,
Teaching for doctrines commandments of men"
(Matthew 15.7-9


Dear friends, this is what happened, what the prophets tell us: The God's law was changed by the scribes. For this reason, the Old Testament's law is different to the commandments of Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,583,738 times
Reputation: 8913
Jesus summed up the law as the OP posted. This summation of the law is what the Holy Spirit of God imprints on the hearts of all TRUE believers. For that reason Christians are NOT UNDER THE LAW in any respect. Under the new covenant we are under GRACE and not LAW. Many Christians find this hard to either believe or understand. That comes as a result of "Pride". People, even saved people find it difficult to understand and trust in Christ alone as their only hope for eternity. They seem to require some DOINGS of their own as part of the gospel when in fact it is not. The work of Jesus on behalf of his people is completely and totally sufficient. If that were not the case, if some kind of "Law keeping" was an essential component of our salvation then we would all be lost as we are law breakers and not law keepers.

Paul rightly calls the law a "Curse". It did nothing but to clearly show just how fallen all of mankind really is. Jesus became this curse when he was nailed to the cross. Jesus bears this curse of the law, not me, Praise God. I will always rebuke any Christian that attempts to put me under the "Law of God" as if the sacrifice of Jesus on my behalf is insufficient. Amazing Grace, how sweet that sound rings in my ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 09:38 AM
 
206 posts, read 182,760 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
For that reason Christians are NOT UNDER THE LAW in any respect. Under the new covenant we are under GRACE and not LAW.
Hi lucknow. We are no longer under the Old Testament law, but we continue being under the Law that Jesus teaches us in the Gospel.

In the scriptures there are two different laws. One is the law of the Old Testament, and the other is the law of the Gospel. Any Christian who does not know that there are two different laws, he can confuse with the theme of grace. The grace of Cristo encourages us to keep the commandments of Christ written in the Gospel.

The law of the Old Testament:

In this law there are many commandments of death sentences, of slavery and sacrifices that God not commanded, and were abolished by Jesus Christ, as we see in the following quotes: Matthew 5:31-48, Matthew 12:1-8, Matthew 20:25-28, John 5:8-11, John 5:16-18, John 8:3-11 and the whole context of the Gospel.

The Law of the Gospel:

When Jesus began to preach, abolished many commandments of the Law of the Old Testament and revealed us the Law of the Gospel, which tells us so:

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7: 12)

Jesus teaches to a rich man, the precepts of the Law

"And behold, one came to him and said, Teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why askest thou me concerning that which is good? One there is who is good: but if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19: 16-22


These are the commandments of the Gospel, which are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many commandments of the Old Testament commanded death sentences, wars and slavery. And those commandments weren't really God's Law.


The merciful commandments of Jesus Christ written in the Gospel are the Grace that christians must follow. The Christians are now down the Law of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 03:02 PM
 
206 posts, read 182,760 times
Reputation: 19
Default Christians are under the Law that Jesus teaches us in the Gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
For that reason Christians are NOT UNDER THE LAW in any respect. Under the new covenant we are under GRACE and not LAW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post
Hi lucknow. We are no longer under the Old Testament law, but we continue being under the Law that Jesus teaches us in the Gospel.......

When Jesus began to preach, abolished many commandments of the Law of the Old Testament and revealed us the Law of the Gospel, which tells us so:

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7: 12)

Jesus teaches to a rich man, the precepts of the Law

"And behold, one came to him and said, Teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why askest thou me concerning that which is good? One there is who is good: but if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19: 16-22

These are the commandments of the Gospel, which are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many commandments of the Old Testament commanded death sentences, wars and slavery. And those commandments weren't really God's Law.

The merciful commandments of Jesus Christ written in the Gospel are the Grace that christians must follow. The Christians are now down the Law of Christ.

Christians we are under the Law that Jesus teaches us in the Gospel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2013, 04:39 PM
 
206 posts, read 182,760 times
Reputation: 19
Default Christians we are under the Law that Jesus teaches us in the Gospel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porque77 View Post

Christians we are under the Law that Jesus teaches us in the Gospel.

Jesus Christ abolished the laws of slavery, wars and death sentences of the Old Testament.

All these laws that have no mercy or forgiveness, are not pleasing to Jesus Christ, because they are not true Law of God.

Jesus Christ revealed us in the Gospel that the true Law that God gave to Moses is:

"all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets". (Matthew 7:12)


As you see, Jesus tells us that this is the law and the prophets. So we should not doubt, this is the Law and the Prophets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 PM
 
206 posts, read 182,760 times
Reputation: 19
Default The Law that God gave to Moses is the Law that Jesus taught us in the Gospel

Many believe that the law that God gave to Moses is not the Law that Jesus taught us in the Gospel but the laws of the Old Testament, and that's not what the Gospel teaches.

What the Gospel teaches is that the Law given by God to Moses is the Law that Jesus taught us in the Gospel, because Jesus himself tells us that this is the Law and the Prophets:

"all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets". (Matthew 7:12)

As we see, the Law that Jesus taught us is the Law that God gave to Moses, for Jesus himself said that "this is the law and the prophets". He didn't tell us that the Law and the prophets were all Old Testament laws, but the Law which He revealed to us in the Gospel ("this is the Law and the prophets")
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top