U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,693,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Church leader Bruce R. McConkie, on the denial of equality for Africans:

“NEGROES IN THIS LIFE ARE DENIED THE PRIESTHOOD; under NO circumstances can they hold this delegation of authority from the Almighty. The gospel message of salvation IS NOT CARRIED AFFIRMATIVELY TO THEM... “NEGROES ARE NOT EQUAL WITH OTHER RACES WHERE THE RECEIPT OF CERTAIN SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS ARE CONCERNED...” (Mormon Doctrine, 1958, p. 477)

Future President of the Mormon church, Joseph Fielding Smith wrote:

“Not only was Cain called upon to suffer, but because of his wickedness HE BECAME THE FATHER OF AN INFERIOR RACE.”
(The Way to Perfection, page 101)

More from Smith:

“There is a reason why one man is BORN BLACK and with OTHER DISADVANTAGES, while another is BORN WHITE with great advantages. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient; more or less, to the laws that were given us there.”
(Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, page 61)

The Mark of Cain

The Mormon prophet Brigham Young on the appearence of Africans:

“Cain slew his brother....and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the FLAT NOSE AND BLACK SKIN...”
(Journal of Discourses, Vol. 7, pages 290-291)

From a Mormon Publication:

“Their skin is quite black, their hair woolly and black, THEIR INTELLIGENCE STUNTED, and they appear never to have arisen from the most savage state of barbarism.The Juvenile Instructor, Vol. 3, page 157)

The Mormon God and Skin Color
Quoted by SergeantL
This is all well and good, Sean, but none of it is Church Canon. I am also suspicious of the quote from the alleged First Presidency Letter. It is not clear who is being quoted; the alleged author of the letter or the authors of the article in reference to their observations of Church practices.

Next, Mormon Doctrine was written by Bruce McConkie, who was a member of the Church, but was not writing for the Church and his book contains much of his own speculation. His works are full of holes and not supported by Church doctrine. I have found at least ten subjects in his work that are clearly contradicted by Church Canon.

Finally, the Journal of Discourses is not Church Canon. The Journal of Discourses is a collection of Church events recorded by various members, but it is not the basis or authority for Church beliefs or practices.

I repeat; and expand somewhat. Unless something is contained in Church Canon, it is not a religious belief. LDS Canon consists of the KJV Bible, Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, Book of Moses, and the Doctrine and Covenants."

Nough Said!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 07:01 PM

12,625 posts, read 18,123,176 times
http://www.blacklds.org/mormon/nyt.pdf (broken link)

Mormons consider ending bar on full membership for negro.
Present rule excludes colored persons from priesthood- decision by leader of sect is awaited.
Newspaper article.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:24 PM

1,467 posts, read 2,787,384 times
Let us all pray that this discrimination of color, no matter what church, no matter where we work, no matter where we are, period, stops because it is simply a cancer in our society that is tearing us apart and will do no one any good at all.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:07 AM

5 posts, read 12,821 times
Default Alleged Racism in the Mormon Church-Any Truth to that statement?

The africian american according to Mormans had the part of cain.
They believed been black was the mark of cain.

Their false prophet was forced by the USA government to change their ways.
However, their prophecy claimed he had a vision by God. The fact the government was ordering to stop their racism did not have anything to do with. Yeah think.

Please stay away from false Christs

Old 11-29-2007, 11:08 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,649,889 times
Why so many other books. Why not just use the Bible? Isn't it enough? I'm not clear here.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:44 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,122,017 times
My step family is mormon. My step aunt who is very old witnessed to me once and explained a few things about the mormon faith. She though told me that black people were descendants from demons and that God had mercy on some of them and therefore turned them black. This was the explanation to me about the people of color and what she learned growing up. I though know the position has changed due to the prophets of modern day. What I want to know, if her thinking was just amongst her parish or was it a common thought way back in the 30's, 40's?
I take it, this is not an official position of the church.... I just would like to understand more. That's all. Blessings.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,988,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
My step family is mormon. My step aunt who is very old witnessed to me once and explained a few things about the mormon faith. She though told me that black people were descendants from demons and that God had mercy on some of them and therefore turned them black.
You won't find any teachings of the sort, even among anti-Mormon literature. Mormons do not believe in creatures such as demons.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:06 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,475,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Mormons do not believe in creatures such as demons.
I did not know that coolcats. Interesting. Do Mormons believe in angels? And how do Mormons deal with the biblical scripture on demons?

Thanks for sharing your beliefs!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,122,017 times
So where in the world did she get this from?? She was so sincere in telling me this. I later asked my step dad and he nodded his head and told me this was what they use to believe as a church but they had not been preaching that for years... his brother resides over a parish and preaches.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,693,535 times
I don't know what exactly the definition of demons you're talking about. We do believe in evil spirits though. And yes we do believe in angels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or