U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 05:06 AM

8,119 posts, read 7,098,105 times

Advertisements

Yes the Bible is relevant today and beyond , as the chapter Acts of the Apostles 2 is still being performed by Jesus Spirit , 1,980 years and still counting the time that Jesus is bringing the promise of the Heavenly Father the gift of the baptism of the Holy Spirit to people who are obedient to the commands of Jesus of repentance and loving Jesus and His people , and being born again of water and in the spirit ..... See this miracle is being given by God , as you can receive this gift , as all of what is Jesus grace is given to those who believe and obey...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 05:37 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,872,311 times
It should be. But actually, I'm not real sure it is.

Actual Christianity is something quite different from the denominations we've got set up. So no matter what church you go to, it's unlikely to be taught exactly as read, instead given a left or right interpretation. The Bible is about 1/4 laws on what to do, 2/4 miracle stories or metaphor, and the last 1/4 is actually about what makes life meaningful. If you just took the last 1/4 and refined the rest into usable information, maybe. But you'd still have to contend with the constant revisions of the Bible possibly corrupting its meaning. And the fact that even the KJV is so hard to read, that people probably misunderstand it.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:27 AM

2,519 posts, read 4,336,552 times
For me that is a rhetorical question. Truth does not require relevance... truth is relevant.

I often ask myself if ... do I make the Bible relevant for myself and others, by what I do, and what I say? If the Bible is important (it is) do I keep it in my heart or do I beat others over the head with it? I've done both. Preach the gospel always and sometime use words.

Is the Bible relevant to non believers? Shouldn't we make it so?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:41 AM

16,350 posts, read 7,698,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
Thoughts are all over the map because people do not read it and do not bother to understand it.
Thoughts are all over the map because people DO read it and make it into somethig it is not. It IS a valuable tool for the Spirit, but if it is held up as final authority it leads to the famous 40,000 denominations (or 4,000 or 400 or whatever)

Old 10-19-2013, 07:47 AM

183 posts, read 140,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Thoughts are all over the map because people DO read it and make it into somethig it is not. It IS a valuable tool for the Spirit, but if it is held up as final authority it leads to the famous 40,000 denominations (or 4,000 or 400 or whatever)

I have an interesting debate ongoing elsewhere regarding whether or not Adam and Eve where the first people on earth.

My point is that people refuse to read what is in front of them without a preconceived notion of what the bible states.

Read exactly what is before you, do not take from it, to not add to it.

And for the most part, Christians do not bother with the OT, one cannot understand the fullness of the NT without comprehending the OT.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 AM

And the problem there is that without a knowledge of different kinds of literature such a reader might make the assumption that the creations story is history rather than myth.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:06 AM

183 posts, read 140,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And the problem there is that without a knowledge of different kinds of literature such a reader might make the assumption that the creations story is history rather than myth.

So you reject the Moses account?

Do you reject other portions of the bible?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM

11,293 posts, read 11,312,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
You're like a thorn in my side sometimes, but I can't help but like you Thrillobyte.
I think one or two have said that, bart. I know I'm caustic at times. I've apologized for it on occasion.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
So you reject the Moses account?

Do you reject other portions of the bible?
No, read carefully: the Genesis account is not history, it is the myths and legends of the Hebrew people collected. It should not be read as history, but for the spiritual lessons that can be gleaned. Reading it AS history leads to some egregious errors such as rejection of clear science and the consequent disaffection of those who find out that the scientific evidence demonstrates that a historical reading is erroneous and who therefore reject faith instead of that ignorant idea.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,113,914 times
What part? For what purpose?

There are some universal truth which are portrayed even in the Bible, nice result yes those parts are relevant today. Other parts meh not really, they spoke to a certain desert tribe in time of the Bronze Age. Means nothing to us today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or