U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:09 PM

670 posts, read 668,150 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if I was one of the only Christians who Meditates daily.

Do any of you Meditate? If so how and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 03:53 PM

8,100 posts, read 7,067,151 times
There are some Christians who have corporate meditation in the meetings, but there are many more who do not meditate because Christians are not called to meditate , as this is a Hindu and Buddhist practice , and Jesus Spirit would consider it an attractant for demons , which are alien to God through Jesus living Spirit of life .............. See Christians are called to do nothing more than to ponder on God Words for a quickening of understanding from God , and that is it ............. The problem is that the meditations can be seen by God as a substitute for the sacrifice of Lord Jesus , which would be idolatry before the Lord ... See even stretching for exercise , believers need to reject any religious ideas of receiving from God and stay cleans before God , as some far-eastern religions uses these ideas in their religious blessing , .. Where as through Lord Jesus it is idolatry to use meditation for blessing , and God gifts of grace are free by hope and faith .......

Old 10-19-2013, 05:03 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,323,429 times
If you practice meditation as a way of clearing the mind and calming the body, as a way to practice stillness and better know yourself, there is nothing anti-Christian about it.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post

My priest meditates. I think you are far from "one of the only Christians" who does so.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,641,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
See even stretching for exercise , believers need to reject any religious ideas of receiving from God and stay cleans before God , as some far-eastern religions uses these ideas in their religious blessing , .. Where as through Lord Jesus it is idolatry to use meditation for blessing , and God gifts of grace are free by hope and faith .......
Wait. Christians aren't supposed to stretch before exercise? I take it you aren't an athlete.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 AM

12,770 posts, read 9,835,394 times
I have not, but I would like to. I am so easily distracted by my dogs, and all the noises that surround us, I can't quite imagine how that would work. Perhaps in the evening when it's more quiet and settled.
Meditation, I am learning, is one of two methods to connect to higher planes, to the sub-conscious, to the spirit world. The other is dreams. Our spirit guides can communicate with us in these states of consciousness.
Michael Newton mentions meditation as helpful to guide us in this incarnation we have chosen, to access our inner wisdom and psychic abilities.

Destiny of Souls by Michael Newton

I don't know if you would call me a Christian, but I do believe in a Source.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 AM

40,043 posts, read 26,720,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
Yes. Since about age 12. I started as a martial artist, atheist Buddhist. My encounter around age 30 eliminated my atheism instantly and I have been a God believer ever since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
There are some Christians who have corporate meditation in the meetings, but there are many more who do not meditate because Christians are not called to meditate , as this is a Hindu and Buddhist practice , and Jesus Spirit would consider it an attractant for demons , which are alien to God through Jesus living Spirit of life .............. See Christians are called to do nothing more than to ponder on God Words for a quickening of understanding from God , and that is it ............. The problem is that the meditations can be seen by God as a substitute for the sacrifice of Lord Jesus , which would be idolatry before the Lord ... See even stretching for exercise , believers need to reject any religious ideas of receiving from God and stay cleans before God , as some far-eastern religions uses these ideas in their religious blessing , .. Where as through Lord Jesus it is idolatry to use meditation for blessing , and God gifts of grace are free by hope and faith .......
This is pure nonsense. "Be quiet and know that I am God" is an essential part of relating to God while in these physical bodies. I would not be a believer had it not been for meditation.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:22 PM

I just ordered this book, to help me get started.

The Intercession of Spirits: Working With Animals, Angels & Ancestors: Ted Andrews: 9781888767551: Amazon.com: Books

Old 10-20-2013, 03:57 PM

11,230 posts, read 11,254,000 times
Quote:
Do you meditate? How and Why?
How: 5 mg's Tramanax 2x's/day as needed to calm nerves and stop aggravation

Why: Reading too much nonsense from Fundamentalists about eternal torment

Old 10-20-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
How: 5 mg's Tramanax 2x's/day as needed to calm nerves and stop aggravation

Why: Reading too much nonsense from Fundamentalists about eternal torment

Tormenting others will come back to bite you, rest assured. Karma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity