U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 AM

473 posts, read 616,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Well, you know your standing with God and that is sufficient but man being what he is makes all kinds of needless rules. Therefor if you what to join a new church then play by their rules which in this case does no harm per say but will bring harmony.
It does harm by allowing man to teach falsely and wrongly. It does harm in allowing them to believe that they are correct. They need the correction.

The first time we are baptized is when we are born. We are born of the blood and spirit of God through the flood of waters. We are reborn using a water baptism as symbolic of our understanding and receiving of the truth--God is the spirit within and has always been one with us. Baptism is a renewal, regeneration and awakening of the truth(Titus)--It's where the veil has been lifted. It's an admission that our creator walked in a body among us and spoke to us the ways that we should live. He called Himself Jesus Christ. He said that if we would do this then He would make Himself known among us, that our sins would be forgiven.

The only sin is the blaspheming of the holy spirit----this encompasses the ten commandments and can be boiled down to this---do nothing to others that is abuse of love. Cause no man harm without any cause, walk from evil at every opportunity by keeping our mouths shut and our hands to ourselves. Mind our own business. We should be able to withstand any verbal attack. Understand the immaturity of others and if they won't listen to reason, walk away but don't hold a grudge or let their immaturity affect your maturity. Love them still as if they were your wayward children. He does.

When I was baptized, I was baptized into Jesus Christ as my God. Nobody else has the right to claim that they knew both my heart and mind and His--it was a marriage of truth between me and Him. I also do not turn to any of mankind with my worldly problems--I take them to Him. I always come out ahead in doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 AM

12,691 posts, read 14,074,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Have you ever went to a church that before they would let you become a member, you had to be baptized AGAIN into their CHURCH?
I have and it's something that I absolutely refuse to do. I've been baptized into Jesus Christ and belong only to His church and no other. I understand becoming a member of a church so that your name, address and phone number are on record to other members, etc. but not having to be baptized again.
What does everyone else think about this?
I am familiar with converts to Catholicism who have already been baptized in other Christian churches being baptized again. My recollection was that it was termed "conditional baptism" and was done in the event that the previous baptism had not used the proper ritual and words.

My mother had been baptized in a Protestant church, but was baptized again in the Catholic church when she converted.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:52 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,874,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm curious as to your scriptural support for this belief. What's so "sad" about it? I've never found my belief to be "sad" at all.
I am not saying that your belief is sad. what I was trying to get across is that we as Christians, whether Baptist, Mormons, Pentecostals etc... have all put the authority of baptism on a person who has been ordained by going to a school and is a pastor type of person. That authority to baptize is now ours as Christians. we, ourselves, have the authority to baptize. What I was saying regarding that verse, is that we take the first part, ( go and make disciples), but then don't to the second ( baptize them), we instead take them to be baptized by a leader of the religion.
When Jesus died, the veil was torn in half. We now are priests. we have that authority. the temple has been destroyed. We can go directly to God, and we can baptize new believers. There is no need to take the new believer to a person who has been ordained. What is sad about it, is that many don't know the power that has been bestowed upon then from our Creator. We give that power to others.
I hope I made myself clear about it. I usually cannot express myself too clear. unless I slow down a lot.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:58 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
Baptized once, baptized for life.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:01 AM

9,769 posts, read 6,727,874 times
Folks:

In the end Baptism is just a ritual to make us feel good about what we are doing. Rituals tend to have a positive effect in life is they are not abused.

God could care less if we are baptized of not as long as we are GOOD Christians or for that matter GOOD Jews.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 AM

21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No exceptions? Like for me?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 AM

11,826 posts, read 10,168,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Folks:

In the end Baptism is just a ritual to make us feel good about what we are doing. Rituals tend to have a positive effect in life is they are not abused.

God could care less if we are baptized of not as long as we are GOOD Christians or for that matter GOOD Jews.
Will you be in for one heck of a surprise just how wrong each of these sentences are ......

Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 AM

11,826 posts, read 10,168,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's taking for granted that one was baptized in a true confessional Christian Church .... which is why what one believes matters and so yes there are exceptions.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:14 AM

56,049 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No exceptions? Like for me?
Nope, cpg is Anglican, as I am. If you were baptized, you're in. No need for a do-over. And all baptized Christians are welcome to partake in Holy Communion in our church.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM

9,769 posts, read 6,727,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Will you be in for one heck of a surprise just how wrong each of these sentences are ......
That is OK. I don't think God is anal or petty about these things.

What happens to unbaptized infants when they die?

What happens to Jews?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity