U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM

12,823 posts, read 14,135,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Folks:

In the end Baptism is just a ritual to make us feel good about what we are doing. Rituals tend to have a positive effect in life is they are not abused.

God could care less if we are baptized of not as long as we are GOOD Christians or for that matter GOOD Jews.
I agree, I think that goodwill and good conduct trump ritual completely, and it doesn't matter whose ritual or what ritual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 10:20 AM

9,898 posts, read 6,765,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
That's taking for granted that one was baptized in a true confessional Christian Church .... which is why what one believes matters and so yes there are exceptions.

What is a true confessional Christian church?

According to the catechism anyone can perform a baptism if there is an emergency. Otherwise, Holy Water is preferred. Do they use Holy Water in that Church? Not that it matters.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I agree, I think that goodwill and good conduct trump ritual completely, and it doesn't matter whose ritual or what ritual.
Rituals enhance our human condition and we somehow feel better.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:25 AM

2,484 posts, read 4,329,645 times
It seem like fairly simple decision to me about re-baptism. Now if it's a point of contention or struggle about the authority of a local church... and their baptism is water boarding... just state your coviction and move on. Way too much drama.

Do or don't do... no is the worse for anything.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM

11,826 posts, read 10,188,860 times
Quote:
That is OK. I don't think God is anal or petty about these things.

What happens to unbaptized infants when they die?

What happens to Jews?
If you don't think God is anal or petty about these things, then tell me why it matters to you what scriptures teach about happens or what is a true confessional Church is?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Are you going to be in for one heck of a surprise when you find out just how wrong that premise is ....

Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
If you don't think God is anal or petty about these things, then tell me why it matters to you what scriptures teach about happens?
The scriptures were written by men that thought God was demanding, jealous, and anal. But, in the 21st century we know God cannot be like that. The Bible needs to be interpreted knowing that it was written bt men that lived in a different era.

BTW, one can see the how the Bible authors changed their views on God by comparing the OT and the NT.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The scriptures were written by men that thought God was demanding, jealous, and anal. But, in the 21st century we know God cannot be like that. The Bible needs to be interpreted knowing that it was written bt men that lived in a different era.

BTW, one can see the how the Bible authors changed their views on God by comparing the OT and the NT.
Are you going to be in for one heck of a surprise when you find out just how wrong that premise is ....

Old 10-22-2013, 10:53 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,810,702 times
Quote:
Or you'll be in for a heck of a surprise when you find out that all kinds of people are going to be in Heaven that you don't think should be there. A shame that you don't put stock in God's limitless capacity for love. I guess we'll find out in the end.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Or you'll be in for a heck of a surprise when you find out that all kinds of people are going to be in Heaven that you don't think should be there. A shame that you don't put stock in God's limitless capacity for love. I guess we'll find out in the end.
God's unlimited capacity for love doesn't usurp God's righteous decree. Romans 1:32

The heck of surprise will be for those who do not believe God takes seriously unbelief which shows itself in the previous verses .... not to mention when Jesus said "few will enter".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity