U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 AM
 
767 posts, read 429,444 times
Reputation: 106

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post

if you want to get to know Jesus, then you HAVE to do what he says. MANY people either prays to “god”, with NO ending. Exam., “god help my sister, AMEN”. Then there are those who prays in this manner.“Lord father”, “lord Jesus”, “father god”, “god the father”,etc. Ending ,”IN YOUR NAME”, some will end with, “IN JESUS NAME”. Sorry of MANY want to believe this is right, but it's NOT. First!... Jesus taught us in which we should pray, And who to pray to, his Father ,(Matt.6:9-15, “After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name”). We were to make his Father's NAME holy and honor it. But MANY even refuse to get to know Jesus Father, which Jesus showed it means their life. Just as it meant their life KNOWING HIM ,(John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent). God gave Moses aname to give to at that time, his true servants ,(Exo. 6:3). Jesuseven said he made his Father name KNOWN to those who ALREADY served Jehovah God. But just didn't know his name ,(John17:6 I have manifested, (to make known, show, display), thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word).


Many wants to believe God, or Jesus hears ALL prayers, not so ,(Pro.1:28-32 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me. For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD. They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them). Jesus said this concerning prayers and HIS Father ,(John 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth). We ALL are sinners, here Jesus meant those who's trying to do his Father's will, even though they were born through sin ,(Rom. 5:19For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous). The person was right when they told you we're too imperfect to got straight to God.

Remember before Jesus came and died, ALL of Jehovah's servants had to make animal sacrifices to him. The Lamb covered their sins ,(Num. 18:17 ,Levi. 15:16 and Levi.4:35). this is where Jesus now came in ,(Heb.10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down on the right hand of God). He is our new Lamb ,(John 1:36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lambof God)! This is why Jesus said at John14:6 “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me”). This is why we end with,”IN JESUS NAME”. Jesus is the one we HAVE to go through with our prayers, in order to get to his Father ,(1Tim. 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men,the man Christ Jesus). I was a catholic years ago, Because Jehovah God seen in me wanting the truth. As Jesus said, he gave it ,(Luke11:9,10). as I tell people I believe Jesus and Jehovah God's words, NOT man. no one can tell you what you should do, but if you want the truth, and welling to accept it. Jehovah's Holy Spirit will lead you down the right path. peace

Last edited by jojo-50; 10-22-2013 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: as always the posted words were close together and so many "SIZE=3's i sure wish someone would fix this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 AM
 
Location: NY
9,071 posts, read 15,029,788 times
Reputation: 11504
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am a recovering Catholic, and decided to attend Christian/non-denominational churches instead a few years ago. I have learned so much in those years, and of course, have much, much more to learn. This weekend, I was told that we pray to God, in Jesus' name, because God is too perfect for us to come directly to Him.

Now I'm stressing because that's how I've always prayed. "Dear God." Whether I'm asking for something, thanking Him for something, telling Him I love and appreciate Him. And now I'm told that was somehow "wrong"? I've been wanting to get to know Jesus better, but have struggled. I've always just been a Dear God kind of gal.

How should I take this new information? Is it correct? Should I change?
Starting your prayer with "Dear God" is fully acceptable. God will hear your prayer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 01:19 AM
 
Location: California USA
921 posts, read 624,860 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am a recovering Catholic, and decided to attend Christian/non-denominational churches instead a few years ago. I have learned so much in those years, and of course, have much, much more to learn. This weekend, I was told that we pray to God, in Jesus' name, because God is too perfect for us to come directly to Him.

Now I'm stressing because that's how I've always prayed. "Dear God." Whether I'm asking for something, thanking Him for something, telling Him I love and appreciate Him. And now I'm told that was somehow "wrong"? I've been wanting to get to know Jesus better, but have struggled. I've always just been a Dear God kind of gal.

How should I take this new information? Is it correct? Should I change?
Just a suggestion but careful examination of the Scriptures is a wonderful way to determine what change, if any, is needed.

Matthew 6:9 and subsequent verses gives us the model prayer reminding us to direct our prayers to God. Prayer is one thing that God reserves all to himself so how is it that you think being a Dear God kind of gal is incorrect? However, we pray to God through the name of Jesus in honor of the important position Jesus Christ occupies and as others have quoted John 14:6 indicates Jesus is the only intercessor between God and mankind.

After praying to God some will then close their prayer in Jesus's name and acknowledge the sacrifice Jesus made for mankind thus honoring him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,958 posts, read 22,104,197 times
Reputation: 10688
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
After praying to God some will then close their prayer in Jesus's name and acknowledge the sacrifice Jesus made for mankind thus honoring him.
That is exactly what I believe and how I pray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 PM
 
535 posts, read 795,633 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am a recovering Catholic, and decided to attend Christian/non-denominational churches instead a few years ago. I have learned so much in those years, and of course, have much, much more to learn. This weekend, I was told that we pray to God, in Jesus' name, because God is too perfect for us to come directly to Him.

Now I'm stressing because that's how I've always prayed. "Dear God." Whether I'm asking for something, thanking Him for something, telling Him I love and appreciate Him. And now I'm told that was somehow "wrong"? I've been wanting to get to know Jesus better, but have struggled. I've always just been a Dear God kind of gal.

How should I take this new information? Is it correct? Should I change?
The reason for closing a prayer, "in Jesus's name" is based on the following scriptures:

Eph 5:20 "Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Col 3:17 "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."Our prayers should be addressed to God the Father as Jesus instructed in Matt 6:9, "After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name." We close our prayers in "Jesus' name." In closing a prayer a Christian is recognizing that Jesus Christ is our Savior and "advocate" between us and God the Father.

1 John 2:1 "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:"

I am so pleased you found your way to this forum. If you have any questions please feel free to direct message me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 AM
 
292 posts, read 316,347 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
This is not meant to be disrespectful to those that are no longer in the Catholic Church. Most folks that leave the CC have a very poor understanding of Catholicism and are therefore prime candidates to leave for a charismatic form of Christianity. The less they know the greater the chance they could leave.

And there is no one more anti-catholic than a former Catholic. But, maybe I am wrong here.
My dad went mental over Catholicism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 10:03 AM
 
292 posts, read 316,347 times
Reputation: 447
<<<<<<<<<<God is too perfect for us to come directly to Him. >>>>>>>>

I have a huge problem with this, and this is what is causing me to lose my faith quickly.
In fact, this angers me. How would people feel if their parents snubbed them claiming to be
too perfect to have them around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 11:16 AM
 
3,311 posts, read 3,550,155 times
Reputation: 5572
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkingBlythe View Post
<<<<<<<<<<God is too perfect for us to come directly to Him. >>>>>>>>

I have a huge problem with this, and this is what is causing me to lose my faith quickly.
In fact, this angers me. How would people feel if their parents snubbed them claiming to be
too perfect to have them around.
Yeah, I tend to agree with you. I can see how this statement could put someone off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 01:08 PM
 
741 posts, read 822,280 times
Reputation: 511
As a Catholic their is nothing wrong with saying Dear God or Dear Jesus or even asking the Holy Spirit for help. All that matters is that you love God and seek His help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,958 posts, read 22,104,197 times
Reputation: 10688
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am a recovering Catholic, and decided to attend Christian/non-denominational churches instead a few years ago.
Good grief! You say that like it's a dreaded disease.

Quote:
I have learned so much in those years, and of course, have much, much more to learn. This weekend, I was told that we pray to God, in Jesus' name, because God is too perfect for us to come directly to Him.
Jesus Christ told us to pray directly to "Our Father in Heaven," but to offer our prayers "in His name," because He is our Mediator with the Father. I pray to our Father in Heaven and then close my prayers by saying, "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top