U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:51 PM

20,454 posts, read 9,864,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
The world is about to be destroyed.
Do you have a date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 PM

15,723 posts, read 9,665,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
That map is completely useless. Yes, Christianity is the most popular religion in the world. Yet, for the vast majority, it is in name only. For example in northern Europe, the churches are pretty empty on Sunday morning except for a few elderly folks and maybe some grandchildren in tow. In the USA, while maybe somewhere around 70% might identify with some Christian denomination, a small percentage of those people actually attend church. In my own denomination it not unusual at all to find a congregation where the average church attendance is 25% of the actual membership.
Going to church is not a requirement to be a Christian. In fact, I tend to find those who most often attend church to be the least likely to act like Christ.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 PM

20,454 posts, read 9,864,420 times
Quote:
Europe used to be dominated by Christians, but has shrunk to the point that it barely registers on the radar screen. America followed and up until 50 years ago was the center of Christianity in the world. Obviously, we are headed in Europe's direction. Is a new center of Christianity emerging in the world, or is the world as a whole about to loose out to materialism, universalism, atheism and agnosticism?
Humanity is outgrowing its need for fables and myths, it's called maturing.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 PM

8,858 posts, read 7,740,377 times
The Bible makes it quite clear that gathering together, worshiping God, giving offerings to support the church, studying His word, receiving the sacrament is part of the life of a Christian. But of course, those who have no reverence for God's word might disagree. But that means in most cases, they would not be Christians, so not worshiping would be expected. And how does a non-Christian decide what is unChristian behavior? Isn't that like a like telling a medical doctor how to do his job or a non-pilot telling a pilot how to fly the plane?

Heb 10:25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

I can never figure out why people come on this forum to bash Christians. I'm sure others wouldn't be too happy if I went on the other religious forums to bash them, and I don't blame them. So why do people do this? Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to be Christians. I don't get it.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 PM

9,894 posts, read 6,761,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Humanity is outgrowing its need for fables and myths, it's called maturing.
At some point folks will go to church because of tradition or for socialization. Whether God is in the church or not will become a moot point.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,718,827 times
What ever happened to going to church to WORSHIP GOD? That should be the main reason and the most important one. Also, how can one receive communion if you don't go to church? You get graces and grow closer to God by doing that.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:50 PM

15,723 posts, read 9,665,215 times
Quote:
The Bible makes it quite clear that gathering together, worshiping God, giving offerings to support the church, studying His word, receiving the sacrament is part of the life of a Christian. But of course, those who have no reverence for God's word might disagree. But that means in most cases, they would not be Christians, so not worshiping would be expected. And how does a non-Christian decide what is unChristian behavior? Isn't that like a like telling a medical doctor how to do his job or a non-pilot telling a pilot how to fly the plane?
No. Most nonbelievers were once believers and most know more about the Bible than your typical Bible thumper.

Quote:
I can never figure out why people come on this forum to bash Christians. I'm sure others wouldn't be too happy if I went on the other religious forums to bash them, and I don't blame them. So why do people do this? Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to be Christians. I don't get it.
You do realize other believers probably don't agree with you too right?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,201,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Going to church is not a requirement to be a Christian. In fact, I tend to find those who most often attend church to be the least likely to act like Christ.
Some people are in house churches and would probably fall below the church attendance radar. They may not go to a building on Sunday morning, but they are meeting in homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or