U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:13 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,627,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
Pastor, I don't mean to challenge you, I actually enjoy challenging myself.

To the point what the church teaches, I knew for years they were not telling or teaching me what I needed to know. Not until I took it upon myself with the help of others in bible study did I begin to learn.
And that is the point, I've just begun to learn. It took me a couple of years to get through the bible the first time, I'm going back through it again.

I don't mean to come off as knowing it all, I have not even begun to scratch the surface. That said, I've learned more in the last three years than I did in three decades in the church.
I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. Yes--John the Baptist WAS a Levite....and yes--he was Jesus' cousin. But they were related by their maternal lines. The Levitical priesthood was passed down through the father. Jesus is not a Levite.

I would suggest you go find yourself a good Bible teaching church and submit to the pastor's teaching. You would really benefit from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 PM

183 posts, read 140,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. Yes--John the Baptist WAS a Levite....and yes--he was Jesus' cousin. But they were related by their maternal lines. The Levitical priesthood was passed down through the father. Jesus is not a Levite.

I would suggest you go find yourself a good Bible teaching church and submit to the pastor's teaching. You would really benefit from it.

No thanks.

The last church we visited was a seven day church, they may have the 4th understood but they have no regard for the 2nd. The steeple was a dead give away but the 8' tall cross on the wall was just too much to bear.

We'll find another home church soon enough.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 PM

6,822 posts, read 5,151,864 times
I prefer Exegetical. The place I'm going to not uses the King James Authorized Version. They don't hold a KJV "Only" position or at least don't make a big deal about it when others decide to bring other versions, but all reading is done from the KJV. So we don't get into the Greek and Hebrew. I don't think one has to get into other languages to get God's message across. We go through the text as God has given in English and hit up on the main points taken Scripture with context. There really isn't a "Pastor" per se. There are really two that share the responsibility of teaching God's Word. There are multiple elders; however, in the church fellowship and everyone is encouraged to speak as the Spirit leads them. So I guess this is a "congressional" church. Everything is tested with Scripture however.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:36 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,733,389 times
Exegetical.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
No thanks.

The last church we visited was a seven day church, they may have the 4th understood but they have no regard for the 2nd. The steeple was a dead give away but the 8' tall cross on the wall was just too much to bear.

We'll find another home church soon enough.

First of all, I'd caution you against an SDA church. Some are ok...but I just think there are better places to go--my opinion--I'm not going to say all SDA folks are heretics.

I'm not tracking with you...what do you mean by 4th and 2nd?

And why is it a problem that a cross was displayed?

Old 10-25-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
First of all, I'd caution you against an SDA church. Some are ok...but I just think there are better places to go--my opinion--I'm not going to say all SDA folks are heretics.

I'm not tracking with you...what do you mean by 4th and 2nd?

And why is it a problem that a cross was displayed?
Besides the crucifix the second thing that struck me is just how much they resemble every other protestant denomination. Heretics? No more or less than the baptists or lutherans or methodists or.........

They recognize the 4th commandment, seventh day, day of rest, but not the 2 with regard to images or imagery, and the crucifix falls under idolatry.

What was immediately clear is that they are not a set-apart people.

One thing that is abundantly clear, I asked to you to post otherwise, is that God's people are identifiable, set-apart, and only referred to as Israelites. Sure, gentiles can be grafted in but must be grafted as Israelites. Jesus, through John in Revelation, refers to the Israelites numerous times, so the idea that being set-apart is an OT concept is false. Is every Israelite a man of God? No, many are thrown out for their disobedience, but those who are truly called are called to be set-apart, to be identifiable.

Christianity is a blend of the early Hebrew and paganism, combining the Babylonian system with original church. The same is true of judaism.

Heresy as I see it is any church or group of people who support pagan practices. Such as christmas or holloween or easter or birthdays and the like, also those who reject the Commandments.

Last edited by ShepherdMaster; 10-25-2013 at 05:45 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 05:32 AM

I'm interested in historical fact, not thoughts of men, philosophy and the like, I have no use of fiction.

One of the books I read several years ago (which led to my conversion) was Fossilized Customs by Lew White.

When one looks to origins or words and meanings and practices it becomes very easy to see how we got here from there.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:43 AM

Yes, I mentioned birthdays............that which the 'church' does not teach-
Jesus was born in late Sept (IIRC) and not in December.

Just the FACTS please, just the facts.

Birthdays in the Bible

Birthday celebrations are mentioned in the Bible on three separate occasions and, in each case, something terrible occurred. These three accounts bear brief examination.

The first account is in Genesis. Pharaoh, the Egyptian king, celebrated his birthday by executing his chief baker (Gen. 40:1-23). God gave Joseph special understanding of a dream by Pharaoh’s butler and baker, that the baker would lose his life three days after Joseph interpreted the dream. Joseph understood that Pharaoh would use this occasion—his own birthday party—to put his baker to death. As the dream had foretold, the baker was hung at the party.
In the second account, the New Testament figure Herod the tetrarch reluctantly ordered the beheading of John the Baptist (Matt. 14:3-11). Notice verse six: “But when Herod’s birthday was kept…” During the dancing and merry-making at his birthday party, Herod got carried away and eventually made a promise that he did not want to keep. As a result, a great servant of God lost his life.
The final account is found in the book of Job. The Bible says that Job’s seven sons “went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them” (Job 1:4). These parties were obviously not centered around any kind of celebration related to God, or Job would not have worried that his children may have sinned during these celebration feasts. He was not exactly sure what was going on in their minds, but the very celebration of their birthdays triggered great concern in him (1:5). Apparently, during the birthday party of Job’s oldest son, God allowed Satan to kill all 10 of Job’s children through what appears to be a tornado (vs. 6-13, 18-19).
Further proof that these birthday celebrations displeased God is found in Job 3. Take time to read the entire chapter carefully. Job spends much time cursing every aspect of the day of his birth. The loss of all of his children, due to a birthday celebration, stunned and sobered him. His words make plain that there is nothing good about the day of a man’s birth. He openly cursed the day he was born. This will be shown to have greater meaning later in this article.

Are Birthday Celebrations Christian?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Besides the crucifix the second thing that struck me is just how much they resemble every other protestant denomination. Heretics? No more or less than the baptists or lutherans or methodists or.........

They recognize the 4th commandment, seventh day, day of rest, but not the 2 with regard to images or imagery, and the crucifix falls under idolatry.

What was immediately clear is that they are not a set-apart people.
Ahh...Commandments. Gotcha. I would point out that they recognize the Law to a fault, actually. If anyone says we MUST do something like worship on a Sunday or Saturday, that is legalism. Jesus is the end of the Law for righteousness. Through him we are made perfect, and we no longer have to earn God's favor by our behavior.
Quote:

One thing that is abundantly clear, I asked to you to post otherwise, is that God's people are identifiable, set-apart, and only referred to as Israelites. Sure, gentiles can be grafted in but must be grafted as Israelites. Jesus, through John in Revelation, refers to the Israelites numerous times, so the idea that being set-apart is an OT concept is false. Is every Israelite a man of God? No, many are thrown out for their disobedience, but those who are truly called are called to be set-apart, to be identifiable.

Christianity is a blend of the early Hebrew and paganism, combining the Babylonian system with original church. The same is true of judaism.

Heresy as I see it is any church or group of people who support pagan practices. Such as christmas or holloween or easter or birthdays and the like, also those who reject the Commandments.
Read the NT. The early Christians were most certainly "God's people". No--they were not all Jews. They didn't have to be. Paul's epistle to the Galatians goes into that--it's not about our ability to keep the Law.

Romans also goes into that, as well. The just shall live by faith (Rom 1:17). Paul makes the case that Abraham is the father of the faithful--including Jews and Gentiles. The Jews had the Oracles of God, but they blew it. They were to be a blessing to every nation, and they were---in that they gave us the Messiah. Paul is very clear, though--that God's people are not just the Jews--it's all that are faithful--not necessarily obedient. Again--if we are faithful, we WILL be obedient...but we do not earn his favor by obedience alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity