U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,273,787 times

Advertisements

The ones that some seem to clump in a cult are the Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and 7th Day Adventists. Why?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:11 PM

20,419 posts, read 9,834,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The ones that some seem to clump in a cult are the Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and 7th Day Adventists. Why?
Because the biggest cult, says so.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,634,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Many would consider JWs and Mormonism to be among the cults.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,092,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Because the biggest cult, says so.
Best answer of the thread, no matter how many pages this goes on.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:24 PM

932 posts, read 626,505 times
A quote attributed to Leo Pfeffer so appropriate for this thread:

"...if you believe in it, it is a religion or perhaps 'the' religion;
and if you do not care one way or another about it, it is a sect;
but if you fear and hate it, it is a cult."

Old 10-22-2013, 11:41 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,172,179 times
There is no such thing as a Christian Religion recognized as being a cult.
When people think of the word "cult", images like David Korish \ James Jones comes to mind.

I was taught sometime ago a "cult" can be loosely defined as a religion that does not hold to certain Christian doctrines or practices.

Some of what are the common historical characteristics of a cult have been:
  1. Denial of the trinity
  2. Makes salvation a progress that takes this life time, a progress in the hereafter, or work righteousness.
  3. Make demands of financial commitment (demand \ strongly require\ strongly request tithing)
  4. Demands of personal time beyond worship.
  5. Places a equal to \ higher authority and accurateness of the founders publications \ "scriptures" above the Bible.
  6. Makes salvation only possible through them \ organization rather than through Jesus.
  7. Rejects the message of the cross
  8. Practices secret ceremonies \ rituals
  9. leaving them risks the person being shunned or going to their version of hell.
  10. has some type of divination aspect
  11. usually claims that the truth got so corrupted that until they came on the scene one couldn't hear it \ find it.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 AM

9,289 posts, read 5,497,161 times
Default Billy Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Many would consider JWs and Mormonism to be among the cults.
Once it became clear a Mormon was going to run on the Republican ticket for President, the Rev. Graham announced that Mormonism is no longer a cult. Who would disagree with such an illustrious preacher?

In fairness, some Christian groups have claimed removal of Mormonism from the BGEA website as a cult amounted to selling out Jesus for a mess of political pottage. But Protestant Christianity has been selling out Jesus for politics since Jerry Falwell established The Moral Majority.

The primary Christian objections to Mormonism are their objection to the Trinity and what they feel is an elevation of Joseph Smith's writings to the level of Scripture.

My personal interest is in the emphasis they place on godly living and the close-knit nature of their families. Whatever beliefs they may hold that differ from my own, their strength as a group is in the lives that they live. So for whatever beliefs they hold which run counter to orthodox Christianity, a look at how they instruct their followers to live is perhaps more indicative of how their faith should be viewed by those of us on the outside.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 10-23-2013 at 01:31 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 AM

5,178 posts, read 3,900,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
There is no such thing as a Christian Religion recognized as being a cult.
When people think of the word "cult", images like David Korish \ James Jones comes to mind.

I was taught sometime ago a "cult" can be loosely defined as a religion that does not hold to certain Christian doctrines or practices.

Some of what are the common historical characteristics of a cult have been:
  1. Denial of the trinity
  2. Makes salvation a progress that takes this life time, a progress in the hereafter, or work righteousness.
  3. Make demands of financial commitment (demand \ strongly require\ strongly request tithing)
  4. Demands of personal time beyond worship.
  5. Places a equal to \ higher authority and accurateness of the founders publications \ "scriptures" above the Bible.
  6. Makes salvation only possible through them \ organization rather than through Jesus.
  7. Rejects the message of the cross
  8. Practices secret ceremonies \ rituals
  9. leaving them risks the person being shunned or going to their version of hell.
  10. has some type of divination aspect
  11. usually claims that the truth got so corrupted that until they came on the scene one couldn't hear it \ find it.
My son was a member of 12 Tribes for a while. Although members I met were nice peope, I was still uneasy about them. My big thing was their attitude towards education. They flat out stated that the only book their members needed was The Bible. My wife started a book drive for the location where my son was. Why do I think they got the books she rounded up, then burned them?

Eventually my son was expected. Inappropriate behaviour with a female member (his age) of the group.

Is 12 Tribes a cult? Any more than Koresh or Jim Jones or any other of those who pretend wisdom but expect obedience to their point of view?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:54 AM

9,072 posts, read 15,044,339 times
The working definition of what is a cult can be somewhat fluid. That said, I would see denominations or groups that are more, smothering, entrapping, controling, exclusionary (even if they are outwardly evangelical) etc, to be more cultish.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,875,357 times
they all use the term I call, " the unholy trinity"
SHAME: of your past
GUILT: of your present
FEAR: of your future

these 3 used in combination will keep members in bondage. turn on any Christian TV station and listen closely. you will hear then spewing it from their lips. I think every camera that films these guys should have a large mirror on top of the camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or