U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:05 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,694,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
We've had a very divided Christendom for the past 400 years.
I would say more like 40-100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,017,752 times
Marriage goes back to Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. God instituted marriage from the beginning and man has screwed it up repeatedly. Abraham Married for love, Issac Married for love, Jocob Married for love and ended up getting screwed by his father in law.

I am sure the definition of marriage will change, but the further it gets from God the less it is actually a legitimate marriage.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,193,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Marriage goes back to Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. God instituted marriage from the beginning and man has screwed it up repeatedly. Abraham Married for love, Issac Married for love, Jocob Married for love and ended up getting screwed by his father in law.

I am sure the definition of marriage will change, but the further it gets from God the less it is actually a legitimate marriage.
Huh.. I didn't realize adam and eve were married.

Is there scripture for that?

Old 01-21-2009, 02:36 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,069,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

not a literalist are we?

Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
not a literalist are we?
I like to make sure everyone gets a good taste of their own medicine.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,017,752 times
Quote:

So I take it you are attempting to seperate the union and the ceremony? If you would pay a little attention to what God says about their union, trully it is only He who can marry anyone and all else is mans attempt to be god.

Mark 10:6-9 But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh, so they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no man seperate.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
i like to make sure everyone gets a good taste of their own medicine.
your naughty

Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
So I take it you are attempting to seperate the union and the ceremony? If you would pay a little attention to what God says about their union, trully it is only He who can marry anyone and all else is mans attempt to be god.

Mark 10:6-9 But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh, so they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no man seperate.
I'm not attempting to do anything. I asked for scripture showing they were married. Based on your response the best I can see that you can do is infer they were married..

So there was a marriage ceremony and everything.. with God presiding... with of course a reading from 1 Corinthians 13:4. I wonder what the grooms cake looked like. man I bet the crab cakes were good.. YOU KNOW THOSE CRAB CAKES WERE GOOD!

brilliant.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
your naughty
naughty is too nice.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:

These verses have put some interesting questions in my mind;

If this story of Adam an Eve is perhaps a instructive metephor for us today, then the questions arise;

When did adam and eve leave?
Was their presence in the garden evidence of "leaving" the Father?
Was it not until they were thrown out of the garden, that they "left"?
Was marriage necessary in the garden?
If not, is marriage a restoritive process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity