Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Sorry lovesmountains, I don't buy it. Some Roman Churches do not allow anyone to the table and partake in the meal, unless they are Roman Catholic's themselves. I believe in Jesus but based on the postings on here, I am not welcome at the table as I no longer associate with them and pastor a Protestant Church. What is the most interesting thing though is I have friends who are Roman Catholic Priests. Never once have they refused me the table, nor commented on me coming up for the meal. In fact a Bishop I know said everyone was welcome, as long as they are Christian - being a member of The Roman Church had nothing to do with Jesus' teachings and everything to do with what Rome wanted you to believe. The only criticism I have ever received was from other congregants who knew I ministered in another denomination; they were appalled that I went up for communion - even though the priest was a family friend and made it clear we were all welcome.
LOL, do you think there are security guards that are coming to come up the aisle and scream "STOP, YOU PROTESTANT!"

Of course not.

It's a conscience thing my friend.

The Catholic Church has simply spelled out what they believe is required of a person in order to partake of the body and blood of Jesus - that's all.

If a non Catholic in a Catholic Church has a clear conscience about their utmost respect for Jesus and wants to ingest the elements no one is going to stop them.

Again, the Church is NOT being "unwelcoming" - they are simply standing by their belief that the body and blood of Jesus present in the elements MUST be treated with complete respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 AM

794 posts, read 846,548 times
Communion is much more than a symbolic act. When you partake the bread and discern the bread as Jesus' body you are receiving healing for your body because Jesus' entire body was broken so that our bodies can be whole. When you partake the wine (or juice) and discern it as Jesus' blood, taking both the bread and drink together, you are discerning and acknowledging Jesus' entire body and sacrifice He made for us. If you take just the bread, it is as if you are only acknowledging Jesus' body was broken for no reason. That is why the bread and drink are taken together.By keeping anyone away from partaking in the communion is like literally saying Jesus didn't die for that person. It is an insult to Jesus and His sacrifice that He made for everyone in the world. There is no such thing as being in a "state of grace" before you can partake of the communion. Jesus did not die on the cross for people who are well enough, healthy enough and in a good enough mood to remember Him and receive from Him. Jesus died for the ungodly. (Romans 4:5) Isn't it interesting that Jesus only rebuked the Pharisees? Everyone else could freely receive from Jesus because they were not trusting in their own righteousness or self earned favor with God. It is the same with the Lord's table. Anyone can partake of the communion because when you do you are saying "Lord it is all you and not me. It has nothing to do with how good I am, but how good You are."

Old 10-29-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
LOL, do you think there are security guards that are coming to come up the aisle and scream "STOP, YOU PROTESTANT!"

Of course not.

It's a conscience thing my friend.

The Catholic Church has simply spelled out what they believe is required of a person in order to partake of the body and blood of Jesus - that's all.

If a non Catholic in a Catholic Church has a clear conscience about their utmost respect for Jesus and wants to ingest the elements no one is going to stop them.

Again, the Church is NOT being "unwelcoming" - they are simply standing by their belief that the body and blood of Jesus present in the elements MUST be treated with complete respect.

You think we must bring ourselves up to a certain level to partake, when Jesus Himself washed the feet of sinners. Jesus didn't die for the good enough. He died for the ungodly.
Joseph Prince - Jesus, Friend Of Sinners - 17 Feb 2013 - YouTube

Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
You think we must bring ourselves up to a certain level to partake, when Jesus Himself washed the feet of sinners. Jesus didn't die for the good enough. He died for the ungodly.
Joseph Prince - Jesus, Friend Of Sinners - 17 Feb 2013 - YouTube
You sure love that guy don't you?

But I digress....I never said that "we must bring ourselves up to a certain level to partake", AND neither does the Catholic Church.

You can keep twisting this if it makes you feel better, but wouldn't being willing to seek understanding (even when you don't agree with the "understanding") be a better road to travel?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
So you couldn't provide proof that Jesus restricted access to the table. Got it - thanks.
I never argued that point.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
You sure love that guy don't you? But I digress....I never said that "we must bring ourselves up to a certain level to partake", AND neither does the Catholic Church You can keep twisting this if it makes you feel better, but wouldn't being willing to seek understanding (even when you don't agree with the "understanding" be a better road to travel?
I have become convinced that his entire approach is designed to promote this Prince dude, lovesMountains . . . pure proselytizing of a ministry.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
You sure love that guy don't you?

But I digress....I never said that "we must bring ourselves up to a certain level to partake", AND neither does the Catholic Church.

You can keep twisting this if it makes you feel better, but wouldn't being willing to seek understanding (even when you don't agree with the "understanding") be a better road to travel?
But you agree with the catholic church about the whole "state of grace" thing don't you? To me that is saying I have to be in a certain form of favor with God before I can partake of the communion. I am not twisting anything. The truth reveals everything and the truth is any believer can partake of the communion regardless of how you feel. It is a discernment of Jesus and that it is all about Him, and not about us. God chose to save us long before we even cared to be saved or knew we would need a savior. Why is it that even today we are still trying to earn a right or favor from God when Jesus made us right with God?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have become convinced that his entire approach is designed to promote this Prince dude, lovesMountains . . . pure proselytizing of a ministry.
No. In all my years of hearing the gospel preached I had never heard it preached in such a way that helped me understand the gospel. You can accuse me of proselytizing all you want but I post his sermon clips with some of my replies here because it backs up my replies.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Sorry lovesmountains, I don't buy it. Some Roman Churches do not allow anyone to the table and partake in the meal, unless they are Roman Catholic's themselves. I believe in Jesus but based on the postings on here, I am not welcome at the table as I no longer associate with them and pastor a Protestant Church. What is the most interesting thing though is I have friends who are Roman Catholic Priests. Never once have they refused me the table, nor commented on me coming up for the meal. In fact a Bishop I know said everyone was welcome, as long as they are Christian - being a member of The Roman Church had nothing to do with Jesus' teachings and everything to do with what Rome wanted you to believe. The only criticism I have ever received was from other congregants who knew I ministered in another denomination; they were appalled that I went up for communion - even though the priest was a family friend and made it clear we were all welcome.
Sure, if you go up to the priest and extend your hand he will give you the wafer.

This is up to you. If you don't believe Jesus is present then why go to a Catholic Church to partake in the Eucharist when you are a Protestant minister? You guys don't even use the word Communion or Eucharist.

You are welcomed to attend mass and you can take communion, but this one is on you. If you do not believe Jesus is present you are simply trying to impose your views on the Church. There is no such thing as my religion is better than yours. I have Mormon LDS friends and I highly respect their religion. I would never do anything to denigrate their Church.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Communion is much more than a symbolic act. When you partake the bread and discern the bread as Jesus' body you are receiving healing for your body because Jesus' entire body was broken so that our bodies can be whole. When you partake the wine (or juice) and discern it as Jesus' blood, taking both the bread and drink together, you are discerning and acknowledging Jesus' entire body and sacrifice He made for us. If you take just the bread, it is as if you are only acknowledging Jesus' body was broken for no reason. That is why the bread and drink are taken together.By keeping anyone away from partaking in the communion is like literally saying Jesus didn't die for that person. It is an insult to Jesus and His sacrifice that He made for everyone in the world. There is no such thing as being in a "state of grace" before you can partake of the communion. Jesus did not die on the cross for people who are well enough, healthy enough and in a good enough mood to remember Him and receive from Him. Jesus died for the ungodly. (Romans 4:5) Isn't it interesting that Jesus only rebuked the Pharisees? Everyone else could freely receive from Jesus because they were not trusting in their own righteousness or self earned favor with God. It is the same with the Lord's table. Anyone can partake of the communion because when you do you are saying "Lord it is all you and not me. It has nothing to do with how good I am, but how good You are."
Next Sunday go to your neighborhood Catholic Church walk up to the priest and extend your left hand supported by your right hand underneath. I bet you a Coca Cola that the priest will give you the wafer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity