U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:55 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,018,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Communion is much more than a symbolic act. When you partake the bread and discern the bread as Jesus' body you are receiving healing for your body because Jesus' entire body was broken so that our bodies can be whole. When you partake the wine (or juice) and discern it as Jesus' blood, taking both the bread and drink together, you are discerning and acknowledging Jesus' entire body and sacrifice He made for us. If you take just the bread, it is as if you are only acknowledging Jesus' body was broken for no reason. That is why the bread and drink are taken together.By keeping anyone away from partaking in the communion is like literally saying Jesus didn't die for that person. It is an insult to Jesus and His sacrifice that He made for everyone in the world. There is no such thing as being in a "state of grace" before you can partake of the communion. Jesus did not die on the cross for people who are well enough, healthy enough and in a good enough mood to remember Him and receive from Him. Jesus died for the ungodly. (Romans 4:5) Isn't it interesting that Jesus only rebuked the Pharisees? Everyone else could freely receive from Jesus because they were not trusting in their own righteousness or self earned favor with God. It is the same with the Lord's table. Anyone can partake of the communion because when you do you are saying "Lord it is all you and not me. It has nothing to do with how good I am, but how good You are."
A double amen to that. Jesus said He came to call sinners to be healed but the so called righteous put stumbling blocks in front of them. It does not matter if is wheat, rye, white, or Italian bread nor wine or grape juice in the taking of communion.. Jesus is none of these things per say but it is all about whether you acknowledge Him in the taking of communion. It is written, "Whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." not what literal bread you eat because we do it in remembrance of Him, not to haggle over what bread to eat. Substance always trumps form and God gave us brains to know the difference.
Moreover, I doubt that Jesus used a gold cup. People are so hung up in man made traditions and forget it all about spiritual substance as to why we take communion.

Last edited by garya123; 10-29-2013 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 06:07 PM

9,877 posts, read 6,750,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
A double amen to that. Jesus said He came to call sinners to be healed but the so called righteous put stumbling blocks in front of them. It does not matter if it wheat, rye, white, or Italian bread nor wine or grape juice. Jesus is none of these things per say but it is all about whether you acknowledge Him in the taking of communion. It is written, "Whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." not what literal bread you eat because we do it in remembrance of Him, not to haggle over what bread to eat. Substance always trumps form and God gave us brains to know the difference.
Moreover, I doubt that Jesus used a gold cup. People are so hung up in man made traditions and forget it all about spiritual substance as to why we take communion.
OK, fine.

Are you able to respect other religions?

Or are you going to play the "my religion is better" game?

Old 10-29-2013, 06:29 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,142,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
If you don't believe Jesus is present then why go to a Catholic Church to partake in the Eucharist when you are a Protestant minister? You guys don't even use the word Communion or Eucharist. You are welcomed to attend mass and you can take communion, but this one is on you. If you do not believe Jesus is present you are simply trying to impose your views on the Church. There is no such thing as my religion is better than yours. I have Mormon LDS friends and I highly respect their religion. I would never do anything to denigrate their Church.
Wow what you don't know about Protestants is amazing. We do refer to the table as Communion or the Eucharist. I go to a Roman Church because at times I am part of an ecumenical service, have friends that are Roman Catholic's and go with them, or am at a funeral mass. Regardless what business is it of yours why I go? Taking Communion is not imposing my views on the church; it is honouring my beliefs wherever I am celebrating that day - I don't tell others that I am a Protestant Minister and am doing this as a protest, I am there to receive communion.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Wow what you don't know about Protestants is amazing. We do refer to the table as Communion or the Eucharist. I go to a Roman Church because at times I am part of an ecumenical service, have friends that are Roman Catholic's and go with them, or am at a funeral mass. Regardless what business is it of yours why I go? Taking Communion is not imposing my views on the church; it is honouring my beliefs wherever I am celebrating that day - I don't tell others that I am a Protestant Minister and am doing this as a protest, I am there to receive communion.
OK, you are not a fundamentalist. You probably belong to a mainline church. I apologize for assuming that.

Sure, as I said before----------you are welcome to attend mass and take communion. You are still a catholic.

Good for you!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
OK, fine.

Are you able to respect other religions?

Or are you going to play the "my religion is better" game?
Sure I respect others but I also want them to respect others not just me and to see why. When I am at another Church that does it differently, I do it their way without debate but if they want to debate I"ll say the same as I posted without meaning any prejudice. I mentioned no particular denomination but only how things are rigidity done in many different denominations and my plea is to all to be open minded. I am not implying "my religion is better" than yours which was but a trap you set for me to set at naught what you know in your heart to be good wisdom. So far I have only seen you boast as to how great the RCC is and yet you do not believe the Bible and all that it says and yet the RCC was at first established on the doctrines of the Bible but as Paul said, many heresies would creep in after he was gone. I am not in a fight with RCC per say but with some teachings gone amiss. I do not defend one religion/denomination over another but stick to saying what I think doctrine/teachings of the Lord are and let the chips fall where they may, which is to say, agree or not. I have my points of views and you have yours. I might ask also, do you think your religion better than mine but that would be pointless. You don't even know what mine is so perhaps we should just be saying what did Jesus and the Apostles say or mean about this or that, which is what I try to stick with and discuss. I fellowship in the Spirit with born again Catholics [my best friend was but now Greek Orthodox], Protestants, and Jews because my religion is Christian but I also respect all others even if there is no fellowship in Spirit because we all have things in common except the Lord and they do not want to hear, so I do not say.

Last edited by garya123; 10-29-2013 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Yea, Rev. That's as clear as it gets.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,706,751 times
Quote:
Sorry lovesmountains, I don't buy it. Some Roman Churches do not allow anyone to the table and partake in the meal, unless they are Roman Catholic's themselves. I believe in Jesus but based on the postings on here, I am not welcome at the table as I no longer associate with them and pastor a Protestant Church. What is the most interesting thing though is I have friends who are Roman Catholic Priests. Never once have they refused me the table, nor commented on me coming up for the meal. In fact a Bishop I know said everyone was welcome, as long as they are Christian - being a member of The Roman Church had nothing to do with Jesus' teachings and everything to do with what Rome wanted you to believe. The only criticism I have ever received was from other congregants who knew I ministered in another denomination; they were appalled that I went up for communion - even though the priest was a family friend and made it clear we were all welcome.
I would have to question that priest. Not all priests do the right thing plus we are just relying on your word.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 AM

56,211 posts, read 54,678,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
My Catholic friend Miriam's grandson is gluten intolerant. His parents asked if he could use a gluten free Eucharist host like one made of spelt. The parents were told unless he ate the wheat host, the Eucharist was invalid. They went to another parish and the priest said he didn't have a problem with it and said if they wanted to bring something in he would work around it. Was one priest right and the other wrong?
We offer gf hosts, but we are Episcopal. Our organist and at least one other regular are gf.

And we have a recovering alcoholic who acknowoedges the cup with a nod but does not take the wine.

And it's called Holy Communion or the Eucharist in our church.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 AM

2,260 posts, read 2,142,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I would have to question that priest. Not all priests do the right thing plus we are just relying on your word.
Right I have reason to lie on here.

Let me guess, a priest doing the right thing is what you think they should do?

Old 11-01-2013, 10:54 AM

Bread is one of the two elements absolutely necessary for the sacrifice of the Eucharist. It cannot be determined from the sacred text whether Christ used the ordinary table bread or some other bread specially prepared for the occasion. In the Western Church the altar-breads were probably round in form. Archaeological researches demonstrate this from pictures found in the catacombs, and Pope St. Zephyrinus (A.D. 201-219) calls the altar-bread "coronam sive oblatam sphericae figurae".

For valid consecration the hosts must be:

made of wheaten flour,
mixed with pure natural water,
baked in an oven, or between two heated iron moulds

Catholic Encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity