U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:39 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,689,636 times

Advertisements

When I took communion yesterday the priest was taking the host out of a special container for the person beside me so I am sure it was the gluten free hosts. He didn't give them to anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 01:47 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,689,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Sorry lovesmountains, I don't buy it. Some Roman Churches do not allow anyone to the table and partake in the meal, unless they are Roman Catholic's themselves. I believe in Jesus but based on the postings on here, I am not welcome at the table as I no longer associate with them and pastor a Protestant Church. What is the most interesting thing though is I have friends who are Roman Catholic Priests. Never once have they refused me the table, nor commented on me coming up for the meal. In fact a Bishop I know said everyone was welcome, as long as they are Christian - being a member of The Roman Church had nothing to do with Jesus' teachings and everything to do with what Rome wanted you to believe. The only criticism I have ever received was from other congregants who knew I ministered in another denomination; they were appalled that I went up for communion - even though the priest was a family friend and made it clear we were all welcome.

If they know you are not Catholic they should not be giving you communion, plus a Bishop should know better. It's in the prayer book at all pews. It's the rules, no sense in getting angry over it.

Everyone CAN make a spiritual communion though if they can't come up for the host and wine. The prayers are at the front of the prayer books in every pew.

Here are the prayers for Spiritual Communion--

Prayers for a Spiritual Communion

My Jesus, I believe that you are present in the most Blessed Sacrament. I love You above all things and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot now receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You have already come, and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.

Oh Jesus, I turn toward the holy tabernacle where You live hidden for love of me. I love you, O my God. I cannot receive you in Holy Communion. Come, nevertheless, and visit me with Your grace. Come spiritually into my heart. Purify it. Sanctify it. Render it like unto Your own. Amen.
Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

http://www.ourcatholicprayers.com/spiritual-communion.html

If you don't believe in the first prayer just say the second one. This is for those who cannot receive communion since they are in a state of mortal sin and need to go to confession first or they are not members of the Catholic Church.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:58 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,239,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I don't know about that, I have seen the best Catholics who are converts. It depends on the person. By the way I have seen the worst people who hate the church who are fallen away Catholics.
One of the best Catholics I ever met was a convert. Not only that but he needed to get his first marriage annulled before he could become Catholic. He went through a lot to be a Catholic.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:22 PM

15,265 posts, read 12,579,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
One of the best Catholics I ever met was a convert. Not only that but he needed to get his first marriage annulled before he could become Catholic. He went through a lot to be a Catholic.
can you explain a BEST catholic to me please... is it one who prays every day, whos never out the chapel.. or someone who does good for others..

Old 11-02-2013, 03:06 PM

9,777 posts, read 6,729,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
can you explain a BEST catholic to me please... is it one who prays every day, whos never out the chapel.. or someone who does good for others..
Both!

But, mostly a person that acts like a Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:11 PM

17 posts, read 92,399 times
what happens to the leftover wine?

Old 11-25-2013, 04:21 PM

9,777 posts, read 6,729,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnNovember View Post
what happens to the leftover wine?
Eucharist ministers and other priests helping out drink the remaining wine.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:22 PM

7,148 posts, read 7,971,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have rarely seen the wine offered to the laity in my experience. I was raised catholic and I only saw it on a few occasions, despite attending Mass weekly.
never once was I offered wine in mass and I went every week from I was a baby until I was twenty two

Old 11-25-2013, 04:57 PM

25,813 posts, read 13,417,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
never once was I offered wine in mass and I went every week from I was a baby until I was twenty two
Every other Sunday for 15 years, I went to mass at a Ukrainian Catholic Church. Communion there was very different from that of the Roman Mass. At the Ukrainian Mass, the priest used a gold spoon to fish out a piece of bread which was swimming in wine. Communicants always got a taste of wine with the bread.

(Made me feel quite adult at 7 or 8.)

Old 11-25-2013, 06:45 PM

20,400 posts, read 9,828,032 times
A good Bread with some Cheese, makes Wine tasting more enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity