U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 PM

9,889 posts, read 6,758,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
never once was I offered wine in mass and I went every week from I was a baby until I was twenty two
Every church is different with regards to wine. I think it may have to do with the budget of the church. I live in an affluent county and the churches have a lot of cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Every other Sunday for 15 years, I went to mass at a Ukrainian Catholic Church. Communion there was very different from that of the Roman Mass. At the Ukrainian Mass, the priest used a gold spoon to fish out a piece of bread which was swimming in wine. Communicants always got a taste of wine with the bread.

(Made me feel quite adult at 7 or 8.)
The bread and wine are always mixed. In the RCC this is very subtle.

In my church some parishioners dip the bread in wine.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:48 PM

25,914 posts, read 13,469,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The bread and wine are always mixed. In the RCC this is very subtle.

In my church some parishioners dip the bread in wine.
I served hundreds of Roman masses as an altar boy in the 60s. Only the priest had wine. All other congregants had the wafer only when it came to receiving Communion.

Perhaps it's changed here since as well. I wouldn't know as I haven't taken Communion since the late 60's. I'll have to ask my brothers. They've remained Catholic and take Communion.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I served hundreds of Roman masses as an altar boy in the 60s. Only the priest had wine. All other congregants had the wafer only when it came to receiving Communion.

Perhaps it's changed here since as well. I wouldn't know as I haven't taken Communion since the late 60's. I'll have to ask my brothers. They've remained Catholic and take Communion.
That was more than 50 years ago. I can only talk about the parish that i now attend. On a side note I never drink the wine. I am not into the communal chalice thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity