U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 11:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 5,486,975 times

Advertisements

I don't know that we NEED them per se. We have them because different writers wanted to convey their thoughts about Jesus as the Christ. And they certainly all contain a very different message about the same central theme.

The best way to read any of them is as if you only have the one you are reading to tell you about the life of Jesus. Don't let other gospels interfere. Read all four.

Then go back and pick out central stories that are common to each (the Synoptic gospels) and literally write down what each says about that story. You will be amazed at just how different they are when it comes to details. Even though parts of the story may have been a basis for another writer's account of the same thing, frequently they differ in remarkable ways.

Consider this one about a statement of Jesus that at first glance sounds the same, but in fact is contrary to the other.

Luke 9: 50 ESV
"But Jesus said to him, 'Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.'"

Matt 12:30 ESV
"Whoever is not with me, is against me, and whoever does not gather with me, scatters."

Now if you carefully look at these scriptures, they are, in fact, mutually exclusive. You cannot have the one who is not against you being for you AND whoever is not with me is against me.

The writers had similar stories from different sources and recorded them as best they could. But we have no idea what Jesus actually said. Now I'm sure someone will try to say that Jesus is talking at two different times about two different situations, but wouldn't His words be clearer if we just had a single source? And isn't it a little presumptuous of us to decide this is what really happened or what was meant when it isn't contained that way in either gospel? We put words in the gospel writer's mouth when we do so.

So reading the gospels independently is absolutely NOT reading the same thing. It is reading a writing composed from oral traditions and perhaps a very few scraps of manuscripts to make what the writer felt was a meaningful message, and possibly to move the reader in the direction the writer thinks the reader should move.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this approach. Hundreds of Christian books are composed each year by writers who are trying to mostly move their readers toward a particular perception of God and Jesus Christ. But as readers, we need to be discerning so that we can reach, with the movement of the spirit within us, our own conclusion as to what that writing means for our individual lives. And this is just as true of ALL the books of the Bible as it is any other Christian book we might read today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 03:35 AM

8,099 posts, read 7,065,854 times
See in the Ten Commandments from Exodus 20: 16 says ``You will not bear false witness against your neighbor ``.............Which Moses made a new law to cover this and said people will need two or three witness to prove a witness to be correct , which even today some Christians wait for a second or a third witness of confirmation from God that a prophecy is from Him and not the flesh of men .............. So Four gospel is a confirmation from God that the gospels conform to truth ................. See through the eyes of Fours we get four perspectives of the same thing ; like the gospel of Matthew is like the heart of the Jewish person who see the Messiah coming into being and revelation , then the Gospel of John which gives an account from someone who was close to Jesus and gives a Kingdom of God vision ...............Gospel of Luke give a more of a people gospel who women and men can identify with which Luke continues with His Book of Acts .....Gospel of Marks gives a Good New Reporter vision of the Story of Christ which takes a different journalism ........

Old 11-10-2013, 07:07 AM

8,761 posts, read 7,689,871 times
Quote:
Warden said:
I don't know that we NEED them per se. We have them because different writers wanted to convey their thoughts about Jesus as the Christ. And they certainly all contain a very different message about the same central theme.
Since God knows best, lets defer to him and agree that we need four Gospels. If you know the scriptures, you find that God likes to repeat himself and teaches the same things over and over. Even the 10 Commandments are repeated once. My guess is that God does this to make what we need to know perfectly clear, not unlike a parent who constantly reminds his child to brush his teeth.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:38 AM

393 posts, read 215,463 times
hljc,

re: " See through the eyes of Fours we get four perspectives of the same thing..."

Is it ok if some of the perspectives disagree with each other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity