U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 AM

535 posts, read 795,766 times

Advertisements

I guess I've been gone too long from the forum. I have a lot of questions and even some observations I've been gnawing on. I once read somewhere that theologians have been trying to harmonize the Gospels from the beginning. But, were the Gospels ever meant to completely harmonize, homogenize or make consistent?

Every year when I read through the Gospels I take away something different. I once thought, why did God need four men to write the same account? I figured the four Gospels were written for different audiences. Then, I thought they were written from four different perspectives. Now, while I知 not dismissing the first two thoughts, I'm inclined to think the authors each had their own purpose. Well, not their purpose, but God's purpose.

I guess the light bulb clicked on one day and I thought He didn't need four men to write the same account. The next progressive question became what then did He need the four men to do? Since the Gospels are about Jesus I reasoned that was where my answer lay.

How does each Gospel depict Jesus? I have to admit I did some homework. This is my synthesis from several sources. I purposely did not list Bible verses. I'd much rather have you read your Bible to see if I'm on the right track or not.

The Gospel of John depicts Jesus as The GodMan. Jesus is the perfect Son of God.

The Gospel of Luke depicts Jesus as The ManGod. Jesus is the Son of Man.

The Gospel of Mark depicts Jesus as A Servant.

The Gospel of Matthew depicts Jesus as The Prophet and The King.

Yikes! This just dawned on me, it's as if they could be paired John-Luke, Mark-Matthew. Maybe I知 getting carried away. If I知 not careful, I値l be carried away on a gurney to the psych ward!

The four Gospels are character sketches of the multifaceted, multidimensional, multi-purposed Jesus. They each have their own distinct purpose, each are the divinely inspired accounts depicting Jesus as God incarnate, Jesus as the prophesied Messiah, Jesus as the servant and Jesus as The King. Is that cool or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 AM

19,950 posts, read 13,625,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
I guess I've been gone too long from the forum. I have a lot of questions and even some observations I've been gnawing on. I once read somewhere that theologians have been trying to harmonize the Gospels from the beginning. But, were the Gospels ever meant to completely harmonize, homogenize or make consistent?

Every year when I read through the Gospels I take away something different. I once thought, why did God need four men to write the same account? I figured the four Gospels were written for different audiences. Then, I thought they were written from four different perspectives. Now, while I知 not dismissing the first two thoughts, I'm inclined to think the authors each had their own purpose. Well, not their purpose, but God's purpose.

I guess the light bulb clicked on one day and I thought He didn't need four men to write the same account. The next progressive question became what then did He need the four men to do? Since the Gospels are about Jesus I reasoned that was where my answer lay.

How does each Gospel depict Jesus? I have to admit I did some homework. This is my synthesis from several sources. I purposely did not list Bible verses. I'd much rather have you read your Bible to see if I'm on the right track or not.

The Gospel of John depicts Jesus as The GodMan. Jesus is the perfect Son of God.

Yikes! This just dawned on me, it's as if they could be paired John-Luke, Mark-Matthew. Maybe I知 getting carried away. If I知 not careful, I値l be carried away on a gurney to the psych ward!

The four Gospels are character sketches of the multifaceted, multidimensional, multi-purposed Jesus. They each have their own distinct purpose, each are the divinely inspired accounts depicting Jesus as God incarnate, Jesus as the prophesied Messiah, Jesus as the servant and Jesus as The King. Is that cool or what?
You're correct. They were written for different reasons, by different authors, to different audiences. Imagine if they were all identical. You'd have people claiming collusion--or that one copied off of the others.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:55 AM

8,763 posts, read 10,837,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You're correct. They were written for different reasons, by different authors, to different audiences. Imagine if they were all identical. You'd have people claiming collusion--or that one copied off of the others.
Double correct! -- As it is, it seem that many choose to cry "contradiction", rather than 'collusion' ... simply because the four different authors didn't write exactly the same thing. There are more facets to God than the finest diamond ... even as evidenced in the hundreds of different names for God.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
We do anyway.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM

452 posts, read 572,774 times
Quote:

In agreement with the others! Each gospel reveals a specific part of the one nature of Christ! It IS cool and I'm overjoyed at seeing you so excited, beloved!!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Double correct! -- As it is, it seem that many choose to cry "contradiction", rather than 'collusion' ... simply because the four different authors didn't write exactly the same thing. There are more facets to God than the finest diamond ... even as evidenced in the hundreds of different names for God.
I'm digressing, but did you see the article about "God's Diamond"? Oklahoma City girl, 14, finds 3.85-carat canary 'God's Diamond' at Arkansas state park | Mail Online

Old 10-24-2013, 11:23 AM

9,766 posts, read 6,726,032 times
Quote:
Priscilla:

I encourage you to take this course about the NT from Yale professor. He is a Protestant, so there is no Catholic bias. What I like the most is that this is done from an academic viewpoint. He explains all gospels in great detail.

6. The Gospel of Mark - YouTube

7. The Gospel of Matthew - YouTube

9. The Gospel of Luke - YouTube

Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,892,589 times
I like that John called himself "the disciple that Jesus loved". He understood how important it is to see ourselves as the beloved of the Lord. When it came down to it, he was there at the end and the one that boasted in his own love for God (Peter) was no where to be found.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 PM

8,778 posts, read 7,698,666 times
If someone takes the time to study the Gospels, they will find that in some ways they are same, and in some ways very different, especially John. However they are very similar since they all attest to the basic facts and events of Jesus ministry, and all testify that He is the Son of God , the Messiah and the savior of the world.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 PM

393 posts, read 215,765 times
little elmer,

re: "I like that John called himself 'the disciple that Jesus loved'."

I'm not aware of any scripture that says that. What do you have in mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity