U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM

4,408 posts, read 4,062,796 times

Advertisements

Leviticus 23
33 Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 34 “Speak to the children of Israel, saying: ‘The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the Feast of Tabernacles for seven days to the Lord.

Even though we are not commanded to celebrate Jesus birth, there is no command not to celebrate the birth of Christ either.

If Christmas were changed to the 15th day of September (the 7th month of biblical calendar) during the feast of tabernacles at the time Jesus was actually born, do you think people would still celebrate it?

Based off of some wise men giving gifts to Jesus, NOT each other, Would there still be gift giving?
Would we shop until we drop on things we cant afford?
Would there be a Santa clause and elf's?
Would we still put up a Christmas tree?
Would there be missile toe?

THIS IS NOT A DONT OBSERVE XMAS POST, BUT RATHER TO MAKE YOU THINK OF THE SILLY THINGS WE DONT THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH JESUS BIRTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 PM

8,036 posts, read 4,199,828 times
Internal as well as external evidence has led scholars to almost unanimously conclude that Jesus birth didn't happen in December. Best guess based on the evidence says sometime in the Spring. So March, April May -- somewhere in there. Apparently the early Christians in the Roman Empire had absolutely no idea when Christ's birthday was, so they just made one up. Still, December probably works out better because having the lead-up and observance of both Easter and Christmas in close proximity would muddle things a bit. Personally, I like the fact that we can celebrate his birth at one point in the year, and his passion, death, burial and resurrection several months later. It helps us remember Christ more often throughout the year and I kinda like that fact.

Moving it to September and not much changes. The Christmas tree and mistletoe and holly and other Christianized pagan trivialities aren't terribly important to me. Our kids are a bit young, but we're not really going to let Santa Claus become a focus for the Christmas season as this robs attention due to Christ and confuses the entire meaning of the holiday. Maybe you incorporate some fall harvest stuff, who knows? All fine by me.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM

He died on passover which is 6 months after Tabernacles, so if you die 33 yrs and 6 months after September, that brins your death in the spring right at passover. Jesus is referred to as the light of the world, so Im pretty much guessing he was conceived during the Feast of Lights aka Hanukkah, (not Xmas eve like many Catholics think) and 9 and 1/2 months from Hanukkah is Tabernacles which would be his birth. The more I look at the feast days, it is clear God does everything according to those days. That is why I think he was born in September. Born the 1st day and probably circumcised according to jewish custom on the 8th day of the feast, the last great day. These are All assumptions, but they make much more sense that what has been passed down to us.

Feast of Lights- Conceived
Tabernacles - Birth of Jesus..............9 months later after Feast of Lights
Passover- Died on the Cross............. 6 months later (died at 33 yr & 6 months old)
Unleavened Bread- Was without sin... Part of Passover
First Fruits- Rose from the Dead........ Rose 3 days later
Pentecost- Received the Holy Spirit....49 days after resurrection

But im sure we would just have xmas sales after July 4th or labor day and it would just be a giant retail holiday in September after a while like it is now.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 PM

21,958 posts, read 22,109,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Jesus is referred to as the light of the world, so Im pretty much guessing he was conceived during the Feast of Lights aka Hanukkah, (not Xmas eve like many Catholics think) and 9 and 1/2 months from Hanukkah is Tabernacles which would be his birth.
I'm afraid you'd be quite surprised then if you were to have started a poll asking Christians if they believed Jesus was born on Christmas Eve. City-Data contains a pretty good cross-section of Christians, and I'd be willing to bet that not one single one of them thinks Jesus was born on Christmas Eve or Christmas night. (Of course, if you were to start a poll, it would have to be a public poll so the voters were known to be Christians and not atheists trying to skew the results. )

Old 10-24-2013, 04:37 PM

40,046 posts, read 26,730,521 times
Default Would you celebrate Christmas if it were changed to September

This is a silly question to me probably because due to various exigencies in my family we choose to celebrate our birthdays when it is the most convenient for everyone . . . not necessarily the actual anniversary of our births. I see no problem with celebrating Christ's birth on other than the actual anniversary of it. The thing to remember about celebrations is that it is the intent of the celebrants that determines when and what is being celebrated.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:58 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,973,523 times
I liken it to a discussion I had with some old lady when I was a kid. I liked a show called "Star Trek" and she did not, when I asked why she said "Because people do not really fly spaceships around like that"
My response was something like...well, look at church....

I celebrate the mythology and pageantry of Christmas, just as I would enjoy a Shakespearean comedy or a Star Trek movie. Now, it is not real. There is no Starfleet academy, and there was no manger with talking animals. It is entertainment.
And it works as an end of the year entertainment event, a major holiday which in the older days ushered in the inter season, while in contemporary American terms ushers in enough rampant materialism to make a practicing Buddhist nauseous. I do not see it working as a spring holiday. For one, many Christians observe Easter, I know I don't , but many do. Also it would not be fiscally convenient for American business to have the major money making venture in September, unless they all had to adopt a fiscal year plan, such as October to October).

Although I openly reject the divinity of the J-Man, I do admit that when ceremony and pagentry is involved, the advent season is one of the highlights in the religious world.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,723,251 times
Quote:
Leviticus 23
33 Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 34 “Speak to the children of Israel, saying: ‘The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the Feast of Tabernacles for seven days to the Lord.

Even though we are not commanded to celebrate Jesus birth, there is no command not to celebrate the birth of Christ either.

If Christmas were changed to the 15th day of September (the 7th month of biblical calendar) during the feast of tabernacles at the time Jesus was actually born, do you think people would still celebrate it?

Based off of some wise men giving gifts to Jesus, NOT each other, Would there still be gift giving?
Would we shop until we drop on things we cant afford?
Would there be a Santa clause and elf's?
Would we still put up a Christmas tree?
Would there be missile toe?

THIS IS NOT A DONT OBSERVE XMAS POST, BUT RATHER TO MAKE YOU THINK OF THE SILLY THINGS WE DONT THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH JESUS BIRTH.
What a ridiculous and captious set of questions. Of course we'd still observe Christ's birth. As for the rest of the trappings of the holiday, who knows?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What a ridiculous and captious set of questions. Of course we'd still observe Christ's birth. As for the rest of the trappings of the holiday, who knows?
The question was more of would we still continue all the nonsense that has nothing to do with the birth of Jesus that we do right now in the questions I listed.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:25 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,167,278 times
Quote:
The question was more of would we still continue all the nonsense that has nothing to do with the birth of Jesus that we do right now in the questions I listed.
What makes you sure that things that happen now are done because they have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus?

The Christmas tree ... it's reminds Christians of Jesus

not only the tree, but the gift giving, the ornaments, the lights remind us .... it's not our fault that the world is shallow.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:18 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,259,675 times
As long as it comes with a MB under my Christmas tree I'll celebrate it any day of the year they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity