U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-24-2013, 06:40 PM
 
535 posts, read 796,894 times
Reputation: 199

Advertisements

I sometimes find myself spending too much time reading articles on the internet. Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot of good information online. Then again, there is a lot of junk. Probably for every one good article, there are a dozen bad. Some years ago I read that President Bush (43) and British Prime Minister Tony Blair, both Christians, had this idea that WWIII wouldn’t be such a bad thing because it could serve to usher in Christ’s Second Coming.

Today, I decided to look online and found a couple of articles with quotes, etc,, from the two men. Additionally, my search also led me to something called The Second Coming Project. Now here was something I hadn’t heard of before. I read three different articles describing how New Agers were working to hasten Jesus’ return. Then I read an article that explained their idea was to clone Jesus’ bones. Wait a minute, what bones? This article went on to debunk the entire Second Coming Project as an elaborate hoax.

I had spent an hour researching and reading several websites written about The Second Coming Project describing it as something really happening, as fact. Had these people taken the time, they could have easily found they’d bought into a lie; hook, line and sinker. Some Christians turn to reading what is online instead of what is in The Bible for their answers about Christianity. "I read it online," should be our first red flag when we listen to someone say things that aren’t in The Bible or don’t quite add up. The same goes with what we read online. If it's not what The Bible says, then click the X in the top right hand corner and move on. Maybe someday the genius’s at Google will invent a Christianity truth filter for what is online. Until then, I’ll stick to my Bible.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 PM
 
21,930 posts, read 16,727,596 times
Reputation: 8742
You are absolutely right. The internet can be a good source for spreading the gospel and for teaching the Word of God. For instance, there are several good doctrinally oriented churches that I know of which teach in an exegetical manner and put what they teach to their local congregations online. Unfortunately the internet is also a tool used by Satan to spread cosmic doctrines. If a believer in Christ is not well grounded in Biblical truth he can be easily deceived by the lies which abound on the internet.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Florida -
8,767 posts, read 10,862,335 times
Reputation: 16650
Just to 'hitchhike' on being rooted in the Bible.... One can only get solidly grounded in the Word of God by studying and meditating on the Word of God. Even those who claim to gain their truth and 'Godly wisdom' from listening to the Holy Spirit are often easily deceived ... unless they first understand the God's revealed character and truths from scripture. Along these lines, many claim that they are 'hearing God', yet, completely contradict scripture with what they claim to be hearing!

Today, it seems popular to focus on videos, study guides, commentaries, theological discussions, internet resources, interpretations, polls and a host of other 'tools', ---instead of on the Bible itself. As a result, many conclude that understanding Bible truth and wisdom ... only requires a logical opinion; ... particularly when multiple sources share the same view. That's man's way, not God's way!

Jesus declared that all will one day be judged by the Word He has spoken (Jn 12:48). We are also told that all are sifted and revealed by the Word of God (Heb. 4:12). In the Beginning, the Word was with God and the Word was God ... the Word then became flesh and dwelt among us (Jn 1:1, 14). The Bible is not God, ... but, God has not removed His inspiration or separated Himself from His written and Living Word.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM
 
11,271 posts, read 11,286,561 times
Reputation: 3474
Unfortunately, the internet is also an excellent way to spread "christianized" propaganda (propaganda that sounds Christian but is really satanic).

Always let your gut dictate to you what is truth and what is a lie because your "gut" is actually the Holy Spirit warning you not to believe something.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2013, 09:06 PM
 
40,145 posts, read 26,779,715 times
Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Unfortunately, the internet is also an excellent way to spread "christianized" propaganda (propaganda that sounds Christian but is really satanic).
Always let your gut dictate to you what is truth and what is a lie because your "gut" is actually the Holy Spirit warning you not to believe something.
Too many Christians still believe what was true about our ancestors in the OT. They believe that their hearts cannot be trusted. It WAS true of our ignorant savage and barbaric ancestors . . . but it has not been true since Christ. Too many simply do not believe in the New Covenant that Christ ushered in . . . wherein God has "written in our hearts" and Christ's Holy Spirit (Comforter) will guide us to the truth that is there. They override what their heart tells them because of what men have told them in the "precepts and doctrines of men" they have been indoctrinated to. If they would trust Christ who abides with us and read the Bible with the "mind of Christ" (NOT YHWH as described in the OT) and trust what their heart tells them about God's love for us all . . . the confusion and corruption fostered by the dogma of their religions would disappear.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2013, 09:18 PM
 
535 posts, read 796,894 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Too many Christians still believe what was true about our ancestors in the OT. They believe that their hearts cannot be trusted. It WAS true of our ignorant savage and barbaric ancestors . . . but it has not been true since Christ. Too many simply do not believe in the New Covenant that Christ ushered in . . . wherein God has "written in our hearts" and Christ's Holy Spirit (Comforter) will guide us to the truth that is there. They override what their heart tells them because of what men have told them in the "precepts and doctrines of men" they have been indoctrinated to. If they would trust Christ who abides with us and read the Bible with the "mind of Christ" (NOT YHWH as described in the OT) and trust what their heart tells them about God's love for us all . . . the confusion and corruption fostered by the dogma of their religions would disappear.
You know, the more I read what you write the more I like what you say.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 05:13 AM
 
Location: New England
32,285 posts, read 21,136,395 times
Reputation: 2287
It is worth settling once and for all that the bible is not God too. The scriptures are wonderful in that they point us to Jesus Christ to follow after him, so we can learn of him by his mind and the anointing within, because he knows and made known to us the way to the Father, and to know our true identity so that we have confidence before our Heavenly Father.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 PM
 
535 posts, read 796,894 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Unfortunately, the internet is also an excellent way to spread "christianized" propaganda (propaganda that sounds Christian but is really satanic).

Always let your gut dictate to you what is truth and what is a lie because your "gut" is actually the Holy Spirit warning you not to believe something.
Watchman Nee wrote, "All God’s revelations and all the moving of the Holy Spirit are known by the believers through the intuition. A transparent conscience will bring us into the presence of the Lord, resulting in a living fellowship with Him. Through this living fellowship, it is easy for our spirit to sense the will of God directly—this is the function of the intuition. This function depends entirely on a perfect fellowship. When our fellowship is perfect, the intuition functions properly. When our fellowship with the Lord is broken, automatically the intuition ceases to work and can be recovered only through the restoration of the fellowship."

Unless we are in perfect fellowship we should not trust our 'gut'.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM
 
Location: New England
32,285 posts, read 21,136,395 times
Reputation: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
Watchman Nee wrote, "All God’s revelations and all the moving of the Holy Spirit are known by the believers through the intuition. A transparent conscience will bring us into the presence of the Lord, resulting in a living fellowship with Him. Through this living fellowship, it is easy for our spirit to sense the will of God directly—this is the function of the intuition. This function depends entirely on a perfect fellowship. When our fellowship is perfect, the intuition functions properly. When our fellowship with the Lord is broken, automatically the intuition ceases to work and can be recovered only through the restoration of the fellowship."

Unless we are in perfect fellowship we should not trust our 'gut'.
Hi Priscilla

Have you ever considered that which is called our gut or gut feeling is actually our innermost being, the real you?. I believe it is,for it is the inner man that God speaks to and it is the inner man that hears God.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 02:01 PM
 
Location: New England
32,285 posts, read 21,136,395 times
Reputation: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Unfortunately, the internet is also an excellent way to spread "christianized" propaganda (propaganda that sounds Christian but is really satanic).

Always let your gut dictate to you what is truth and what is a lie because your "gut" is actually the Holy Spirit warning you not to believe something.
I understand what you're saying hear Thrill. For instance our gut tells us(yet we deny it and suppress it and call it the devil)there is something desperately wrong with God punishing folk and worse still punishing folk without a view of reforming, and even this does not create a right reaction towards the punisher, for basically the punisher is breaking your will with a view to conform.

He hath not dealt with us after our sins, nor rewarded us after our iniquities Psalm 103:10. God doesn't because it does not work. His tried and proven method to cause us to turn and return to Him, is His goodness Romans 2:4.

The LORD appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved you with an age enduring love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn you.Jeremiah 31:3
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top