U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2013, 12:22 PM
 
32,532 posts, read 30,676,091 times
Reputation: 32349

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
I'm hesitant to reveal the newsman's name for many people ridicule him and the news station he works for.
OT I know, but if it's a good interview it's a good interview no matter who the person asking the questions was. If you learned from it, so much the better.

(A hint at least? Or a quick DM? I'm intrigued.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2013, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Oregon
3,066 posts, read 3,048,656 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The exact dates are moot. What really matters is the concept and the story.
RESPONSE:

So you recognize that scripture contains historical errors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Oregon
3,066 posts, read 3,048,656 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There is nothing in the stories to indicate that the authors intended them to be anything but history. I don't see why I would take them as anything else.

Again...the writers used actual historical markers--pointing out who was in power, the census, etc. It just seems that it would be too easy for a 1st Century Jew living in Palestine to speak up and say "well, gee....Quirinius didn't do a census...."
RESPONSE:

So it would seem. Why do Christians swallow such an obvious contradiction while claiming that the Bible is inspired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Oregon
3,066 posts, read 3,048,656 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
The Nativity narratives are just stories, but they are beautiful stories written by good people and, like the rest of the bible stories, we can learn a lot from them.
RESPONSE:

Then is it possible that other events presented as historical in the Bible such as the Resurrection are just stories too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
9,291 posts, read 5,498,434 times
Reputation: 4049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Then is it possible that other events presented as historical in the Bible such as the Resurrection are just stories too?
Ancient, if you don't want to believe, then don't. If you need correct "history" to make you a believer then you literally don't have a prayer.

It ain't about the history. It's about the heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
 
535 posts, read 796,314 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
OT I know, but if it's a good interview it's a good interview no matter who the person asking the questions was. If you learned from it, so much the better.

(A hint at least? Or a quick DM? I'm intrigued.)
His latest book is #1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Oregon
3,066 posts, read 3,048,656 times
Reputation: 258
[quote=Priscilla Martin;31953753]This should get Wardendresden's attention.

Luke, Quirinius, and the Census

by Dave Miller, Ph.D.

The precision with which Luke reported historical detail has been documented over and over again through the centuries by archaeologists and biblical scholars. In every instance, where sufficient archaeological evidence has surfaced, Luke has been vindicated as an accurate and meticulously precise writer. Skeptics and critics have been unable to verify even one anachronism or discrepancy with which to discredit the biblical writers’ claim of being governed by an overriding divine influence.
[color=#000000]However, observe the above stated criterion that serves as the key to a fair and proper assessment of Luke’s accuracy: where sufficient archaeological evidence has surfaced. Skeptics frequently level charges against Luke and the other Bible writers on the basis ofarguments from silence. They fail to distinguish between a genuine contradiction on the one hand and insufficient evidence from which to draw a firm conclusion on the other. A contradiction exists when two statements or facts cannot both be true.

RESPONSE:

How about shorter posts. Perhaps giving a reference instead of copying and pasting a whole article?

Lets see.

Matthew 2:1 "In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea,..." NB King Herod died in 4 BC.

Luke 2:2 "This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria." NB Quinius became governor in 6 AD when the Romans exiled Archelaus, Herod's son who inherited Judea after Herod's death. (see Josephus Antiquities)

So unless Jesus was born twice, these two statements or facts cannot both be true. Hence, there is a contradiction in a supposedly inerrant divinely inspired writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 05:39 PM
 
535 posts, read 796,314 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Ancient, if you don't want to believe, then don't. If you need correct "history" to make you a believer then you literally don't have a prayer.

It ain't about the history. It's about the heart.
I agree. If you want a history book look in the history section. If you want a science book look in the science section. If you want a philosophy book look in the philosophy section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 PM
 
535 posts, read 796,314 times
Reputation: 199
[quote=ancient warrior;31972005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
This should get Wardendresden's attention.

Luke, Quirinius, and the Census

by Dave Miller, Ph.D.

The precision with which Luke reported historical detail has been documented over and over again through the centuries by archaeologists and biblical scholars. In every instance, where sufficient archaeological evidence has surfaced, Luke has been vindicated as an accurate and meticulously precise writer. Skeptics and critics have been unable to verify even one anachronism or discrepancy with which to discredit the biblical writers’ claim of being governed by an overriding divine influence.
[color=#000000]However, observe the above stated criterion that serves as the key to a fair and proper assessment of Luke’s accuracy: where sufficient archaeological evidence has surfaced. Skeptics frequently level charges against Luke and the other Bible writers on the basis ofarguments from silence. They fail to distinguish between a genuine contradiction on the one hand and insufficient evidence from which to draw a firm conclusion on the other. A contradiction exists when two statements or facts cannot both be true.

RESPONSE:

How about shorter posts. Perhaps giving a reference instead of copying and pasting a whole article?

Lets see.

Matthew 2:1 "In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea,..." NB King Herod died in 4 BC.

Luke 2:2 "This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria." NB Quinius became governor in 6 AD when the Romans exiled Archelaus, Herod's son who inherited Judea after Herod's death. (see Josephus Antiquities)

So unless Jesus was born twice, these two statements or facts cannot both be true. Hence, there is a contradiction in a supposedly inerrant divinely inspired writing.
It said on the website I took the article from that it must be used in its entirety and fully credited to its source. Just following the rules. Unless I'm mistaken you aren't a moderator on this forum. If you don't want to read it then don't read it. Whether you believe anything in the bible or elsewhere is your concern, not mine. If you want a history book, go to the history section. Dr. David Miller has spent a career studying biblical history, unlike some who think they have it all figured out reading a verse or two.

Last edited by Priscilla Martin; 10-26-2013 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 05:56 PM
 
183 posts, read 140,474 times
Reputation: 31
[quote=ancient warrior;31972005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
This should get Wardendresden's attention.

Luke, Quirinius, and the Census

by Dave Miller, Ph.D.

The precision with which Luke reported historical detail has been documented over and over again through the centuries by archaeologists and biblical scholars. In every instance, where sufficient archaeological evidence has surfaced, Luke has been vindicated as an accurate and meticulously precise writer. Skeptics and critics have been unable to verify even one anachronism or discrepancy with which to discredit the biblical writers’ claim of being governed by an overriding divine influence.
[color=#000000]However, observe the above stated criterion that serves as the key to a fair and proper assessment of Luke’s accuracy: where sufficient archaeological evidence has surfaced. Skeptics frequently level charges against Luke and the other Bible writers on the basis ofarguments from silence. They fail to distinguish between a genuine contradiction on the one hand and insufficient evidence from which to draw a firm conclusion on the other. A contradiction exists when two statements or facts cannot both be true.

RESPONSE:

How about shorter posts. Perhaps giving a reference instead of copying and pasting a whole article?

Lets see.

Matthew 2:1 "In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea,..." NB King Herod died in 4 BC.

Luke 2:2 "This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria." NB Quinius became governor in 6 AD when the Romans exiled Archelaus, Herod's son who inherited Judea after Herod's death. (see Josephus Antiquities)

So unless Jesus was born twice, these two statements or facts cannot both be true. Hence, there is a contradiction in a supposedly inerrant divinely inspired writing.


I'm not going to look it up........I don't care, frankly....but it has to do with who's calender and who's record one relies on for the exact year 0. We went over this in study and the year of Christ's birth is not the year of record, it was something like 4 years off IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top