U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 PM

32,221 posts, read 21,094,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
There is no hell.
Nor annihilation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 05:28 PM

21,804 posts, read 16,674,400 times
Quote:
How do spirits burn? How do they burn up over and over again?

And don't answer...because God can do whatever he wants......
Why do you speak of spirits when those who are sent into Gehenna - the lake of fire, are sent both body and soul as Jesus stated in Matthew 10:28?
Matthew 10:28 ''Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell (Gehenna).
Daniel 12:2 says some will be resurrected to eternal life, and others to disgrace and everlasting contempt.
Dan. 12:2 ''Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt.
John says there is a resurrection of life, and a resurrection of judgment.
John 5:28 ''Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29] and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.
Everyone will be bodily resurrected. Including those whose names are not found in the book of life, and will spend the eternal future in the lake of fire.

And that word which is translated as 'destroy' is the Greek word Apollumi and does not refer to annihilation but to a ruined or useless condition. And so will be the case with those who are sent to the lake of fire. As for 'burning', we do not know the actual nature of the judgment that is undergone in the lake of fire.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes there is. But what we call 'hell', the Bible describes as the lake of fire, the eternal fire, the black darkness, and other terminology. And no one is annihilated in the lake of fire. When the beast and the false prophet are thrown into the lake of fire when Christ returns at the end of the Tribulation (Rev. 19:20) they will still be there a thousand years later when they are joined by Satan and the fallen angels (Rev. 20:10), and then by those members of the human race whose names are not found in the book of life (Rev. 20:15). And they will be tormented forever (Rev. 20:10).
Quote:
No, John describes as a lake of fire.
Are you attempting to make some point here? You do not believe John?

Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 PM

7,556 posts, read 11,890,246 times
Doesn't the fact that there was a burning garbage dump outside Jerusalem called Gehenna (which was translated hell in scripture) during Jesus' ministry have something to do with His talk of burning people? Didn't He constantly use imagery and parables from their culture and society to teach them?

Old 10-25-2013, 06:26 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,621,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yeah, but why did he forget to mention eternal hell AND annihilation ?.
I've seen about 180 threads on this topic in the past year or so I've been posting here. Seriously...why must this debate continue? Hell is a Biblical teaching. The church has believed it from the beginning. If you don't want to believe it, there is nothing we can do. You'll just continue to roll your own theology.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:31 PM

535 posts, read 795,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've seen about 180 threads on this topic in the past year or so I've been posting here. Seriously...why must this debate continue? Hell is a Biblical teaching. The church has believed it from the beginning. If you don't want to believe it, there is nothing we can do. You'll just continue to roll your own theology.
And put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Last edited by Priscilla Martin; 10-25-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-25-2013, 06:34 PM

32,221 posts, read 21,094,471 times
Quote:
Because why it is proclaimed by those who vehemently believe in it, it will be vehemently opposed by those who on a scriptural basis reject it. If you want to stick your head in the sand and continue to believe in it, you will continue to reflect the belief of it in your life.

By the way, what is your answer to the OP ?, do you have one ?, I'm sure you should have being a Pastor?.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:57 PM

22 posts, read 26,337 times
OP
You know God didn't have to tell them right? Adam and Eve chose to disobey God and thereby causing a separation between them and God. God made a lot of promise to Adam that in obeying Him, so many great things will happen to mankind, but Adam chose to forget all of it and go with Eve to disobey God.

Also how do we know God didnt eventually tell Adam and Eve about hell. Even Abraham and all the other people God spoke to, He might have told them. We do know the Bible is just like a tip of the iceberg concerning what really happened in those days. The Bible is mainly about Jesus Christ and did not really expantiate on the lives of those who lived before Jesus.

The OT was brief in most of its stories. Just to give you an idea of those who lived before Christ came. If everything that happened/or were discussed were written, I don't think it could fit in the biggest book one earth.

If I were you, I would just take the word of Jesus for what it is. What He says is where the truth lies. I dont think anyone should be looking at OT for their hope or for the way. I believe whatever comes out of the mouth of Jesus is the truth. Just take it for what He says for sure.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:29 PM

183 posts, read 140,294 times
Quote:

Then seriously answer to the death of death.

You don't get to have it both ways.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Doesn't the fact that there was a burning garbage dump outside Jerusalem called Gehenna (which was translated hell in scripture) during Jesus' ministry have something to do with His talk of burning people? Didn't He constantly use imagery and parables from their culture and society to teach them?
Yes, Jesus did use imagery and parables from Jewish culture. Judaism has the concept of Olam Habah - the world that is to come. In Olam Habah Judaism has the concept of Gan Eden which is Judaism's version of heaven. But in Judaism only the very righteous go to Gan Eden immediately. Everyone else must spend some time (up to12 months) in Gehinnom- Gehenna.
Only the utterly wicked do not ascend at the end of this period; their souls are punished for the entire 12 months. Sources differ on what happens at the end of those 12 months: some say that the wicked soul is utterly destroyed and ceases to exist while others say that the soul continues to exist in a state of consciousness of remorse. Judaism 101: Olam Ha-Ba: The Afterlife
But Jesus did not teach that time in Gehenna was temporary. Revelation chapter 20 tells us that even after a thousand years the beast and the false prophet will still be there and joined by Satan, and then by those human beings whose names are not recorded in the book of life. And they will be tormented forever.

Still, what is the actual nature of the fire in the lake of fire which was symbolized by the literal fire in the garbage dump of Gehenna outside of Jerusalem in Jesus' day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity