U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:38 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,759,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've seen about 180 threads on this topic in the past year or so I've been posting here. Seriously...why must this debate continue? Hell is a Biblical teaching. The church has believed it from the beginning. If you don't want to believe it, there is nothing we can do. You'll just continue to roll your own theology.
Can't you simply ignore those threads that "bother" you? No one is forcing you to read or participate. Or do you have something against the freedom of speech on certain topics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
Then seriously answer to the death of death.

You don't get to have it both ways.
What could be better than the death of death? I consider that the ultimate blessed hope. Do you believe God can destroy death?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Did you actually read the post? He's asking a series of rhetorical questions to point out that God never warned anybody in the Old Testament about some mythical place of fire and brimstone where people burn for all eternity.

If such a place existed God would have screamed it out on every single page in the scriptures to give everyone enough chances to avoid such a fate. Instead, there's just a handful of veiled, vague references to fire here and there that could be interpreted anyway you want to interpret them. The fundamentalists choose to interpret them in such a way as to scare the bejesus out of people, or maybe just for fun, or maybe because they just get a kick out of seeing people's hair stand on end.
Maybe Dante's Infernal Hell was created during that long silent period between Malachi and Matthew. . . ?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
This "mythical place" as you call it is discussed in The Bible. The problem is you are either making Hades-Sheol and The Lake of Fire-Gehenna the same place, or you are simply choosing to deny what The Bible states. Either way, once one is cast into the Lake of Fire, they are consumed and exist no more. There is no return.
Really, then why is it said in the scriptures that those who are overcomers shall not be HURT by the 2nd death? It doesn't say they will not go through it - but that they will not be HURT by it. And also, explain to me how if God is a Consuming Fire that we can dwell with him. We will have to be made fire-proof, right? This speaks of being purified. Fire purifies. Some people are only saved by fire and have nothing to show for, whereas others have built on the sure foundation (Jesus Christ) will receive certain rewards. I believe some of those rewards are given while we are in mortal bodies -- it is a REWARD to KNOW HIM before we are changed. The bible does not deny that some people are more blessed than others. Why did Abraham (father of the faithful) beg God to spare the wicked city? And why was Moses (one who quaked with fear) angry with the people he had to lead? Just a few things to think about.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:55 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,724,435 times
I thought the all went to Hades regardless until Jesus got the keys to hell to get them all out?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:11 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,873,869 times
Sheol
Hades
Ghenna
Tartarus
Lake of fire
Outer darkness

Does every single one of these always mean a place where folks will burn? Or did the translators translate Sheol hell only about of the time. When it was convenient.
If hades means a place to burn, then let it always mean that.
Ghenna really meant a place where people will literally burn, but not the worm? It is funny how God will let the worm eat forever the flesh of humans. I though we were at least worth more than a sparrow. I guess there was a change of heart. So worms will enjoy eternity eating humans?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:14 PM

183 posts, read 140,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
What could be better than the death of death? I consider that the ultimate blessed hope. Do you believe God can destroy death?

You miss the point.

If God does away with the one that is suppose to torture you for all eternity, who will be there to torture you?
If all things are done away with, all things of this age, what is left? A new heaven, a new earth......oh and let me guess and brand new hell too..........?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 PM

Isaiah 65:17
"See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.

Revelation 21:1
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Revelation 20:14
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:25 PM

If you claim simplicity and ignorance is bliss.......NO, you toil with it all, every verse.

For those of you who teach, you teach every damn bit of it, you will be held accountable.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:31 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,873,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I thought the all went to Hades regardless until Jesus got the keys to hell to get them all out?
Your bible might be missing the 2nd book of revelation. It say in 2Rev 13:24: " then the church system snatched the keys away from Jesus, changed the locks of hell. Then the beastly system announced ' the gates of hell are locked from the inside'".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity