U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 PM
 
238 posts, read 230,161 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements


• “For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath,
because he knows that he has a short time.” (Revelation 12:12)

You’ve heard about God’s plans for Satan (and the angels who followed him).
This is the reason why Satan hates God’s elect so much … because they get
to be with God throughout eternity … while he gets to be in the lake of fire!

A quick review of Satan’s beginnings …
• “the seal of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty … You were the
anointed cherub who covers … You were perfect in your ways from the day
you were created, till iniquity was found in you … you sinned” (Ezekiel 28:12-16)
• “For you have said in your heart: ”I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my
throne above the stars of God … I will be like the Most High.” (Isaiah 14:12-17)


And a reminder of who Satan is NOW on earth …
• “the god of this age” (2 Corinthians 4:4)
• “the ruler of this world” (John 12:31)
• “the whole world lies in the power of the evil one” (1 John 5:19)
• “the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world” (Revelation 12:9)
• “there is no truth in him ... he is a liar and the father of it” (John 8:44)
• “the ruler of the demons” (Matthew 12:24)


Satan has blinded the eyes of all unregenerated humans …
• “… those who are perishing, whose minds the god of this age has blinded,
who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ,
who is the image of God, should shine on them.” (2 Corinthians 4:3-4)

But, God gives the free gift of grace-faith (a revelation of truth) to some!

From here on … when I say Satan, I mean Satan or one (or more) of his demons.

Satan and man’s free will …
God created humans to have free will, not wishing to be worshipped by robots.
Satan can plant thoughts in man’s head (but cannot read his thoughts).
• If a Christian insists on entertaining a thought from Satan, and ignores
God’s “still small voice” (the Holy Spirit’s warning), God will NOT force him
to change his mind, i.e. He will NOT violate the Christian’s free will.
• If churches insist on entertaining thoughts from Satan, and ignore
God’s “still small voice” (the Holy Spirit’s warning), God will NOT force them
to change their minds, i.e. He will NOT violate their free will.

Satan and non-Christians …
How successful do you think Satan has been in deceiving the human race?
How successful has he been in keeping man from God’s plan of salvation?
If you believe Jesus is the only way, then you believe Satan has had enormous
triumphs in deceiving people to follow other major religions, cults, and sects.

Satan and the Christian churches …
Is deceiving Christians beyond the ability of “the god of this age”?
No, it is NOT … and this is why there are so many warnings about him in the NT.
What do you think his #1 priority would be … re: deceiving those in the church?
Surely, it would have to do with reducing the number of people gaining salvation.
I am aware of 2 major areas in which Satan has triumphed.

If anyone is interested, we can pursue this further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2013, 07:21 PM
 
9,922 posts, read 6,797,669 times
Reputation: 2492
There is no Satan.

Satan is merely the symbol of evil within us.

We need to move out of the dark ages.

The folks that wrote the bible lived in an era where evil was explained as Satan. We need to move into the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Status: "Watching America made small." (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
26,111 posts, read 13,579,286 times
Reputation: 11766
Satan is religion's Bogeyman - designed to frighten children and keep them compliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 PM
 
20,615 posts, read 9,935,590 times
Reputation: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
We need to move out of the dark ages.
We need to move into the 21st century.

"The nature of mankind, holds onto that which has been recorded throughout history; long after it has past."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 12:28 AM
 
535 posts, read 800,095 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
There is no Satan. Satan is merely the symbol of evil within us.
We need to move out of the dark ages. The folks that wrote the bible lived in an era where evil was explained as Satan. We need to move into the 21st century.
From The Catholic Catechism:
VII "BUT DELIVER US FROM EVIL"
2850 The last petition to our Father is also included in Jesus' prayer: "I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one."163 It touches each of us personally, but it is always "we" who pray, in communion with the whole Church, for the deliverance of the whole human family. The Lord's Prayer continually opens us to the range of God's economy of salvation. Our interdependence in the drama of sin and death is turned into solidarity in the Body of Christ, the "communion of saints."164

2851 In this petition, evil is not an abstraction, but refers to a person, Satan, the Evil One, the angel who opposes God. The devil (dia-bolos) is the one who "throws himself across" God's plan and his work of salvation accomplished in Christ.

2852 "A murderer from the beginning, . . . a liar and the father of lies," Satan is "the deceiver of the whole world."165 Through him sin and death entered the world and by his definitive defeat all creation will be "freed from the corruption of sin and death."166 Now "we know that anyone born of God does not sin, but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him. We know that we are of God, and the whole world is in the power of the evil one."167

The Lord who has taken away your sin and pardoned your faults also protects you and keeps you from the wiles of your adversary the devil, so that the enemy, who is accustomed to leading into sin, may not surprise you. One who entrusts himself to God does not dread the devil. "If God is for us, who is against us?"168

2853 Victory over the "prince of this world"169 was won once for all at the Hour when Jesus freely gave himself up to death to give us his life. This is the judgment of this world, and the prince of this world is "cast out."170"He pursued the woman"171 but had no hold on her: the new Eve, "full of grace" of the Holy Spirit, is preserved from sin and the corruption of death (the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption of the Most Holy Mother of God, Mary, ever virgin). "Then the dragon was angry with the woman, and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring."172 Therefore the Spirit and the Church pray: "Come, Lord Jesus,"173 since his coming will deliver us from the Evil One.

2854 When we ask to be delivered from the Evil One, we pray as well to be freed from all evils, present, past, and future, of which he is the author or instigator. In this final petition, the Church brings before the Father all the distress of the world. Along with deliverance from the evils that overwhelm humanity, she implores the precious gift of peace and the grace of perseverance in expectation of Christ's return By praying in this way, she anticipates in humility of faith the gathering together of everyone and everything in him who has "the keys of Death and Hades," who "is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."174
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 04:02 AM
 
8,129 posts, read 7,122,290 times
Reputation: 1445
satan and his hoards hates all of God creation , and if you see if God were to removes satan from the earth then Hospitals and the medical community would go out of business, Jails and prisons would close , and polices and judges would have nothing to do , atheism and false religions would disappear, evil thoughts and deeds would be gone .............. See satan and his hoards are busy monsters of the earth and are very spiritually real and not a conjuncture of ideas of only evil of man ................. See the very judgment of the cross of Christ is the turning away from the tyrant satan who manipulated men to put Jesus on the cross and tried to kill Him for people who are Christians .................... See Christians can now rejoice to the Lord , that the authority of the earth is now under Lord Jesus Christ forever now ...Still satan and his hoards are a lot of work for this dispensation of the seasons of heaven .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 04:55 AM
Zur
 
949 posts, read 652,755 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
From The Catholic Catechism:
VII "BUT DELIVER US FROM EVIL"
2850 The last petition to our Father is also included in Jesus' prayer: "I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one."163 It touches each of us personally, but it is always "we" who pray, in communion with the whole Church, for the deliverance of the whole human family. The Lord's Prayer continually opens us to the range of God's economy of salvation. Our interdependence in the drama of sin and death is turned into solidarity in the Body of Christ, the "communion of saints."164

2851 In this petition, evil is not an abstraction, but refers to a person, Satan, the Evil One, the angel who opposes God. The devil (dia-bolos) is the one who "throws himself across" God's plan and his work of salvation accomplished in Christ.

2852 "A murderer from the beginning, . . . a liar and the father of lies," Satan is "the deceiver of the whole world."165 Through him sin and death entered the world and by his definitive defeat all creation will be "freed from the corruption of sin and death."166 Now "we know that anyone born of God does not sin, but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him. We know that we are of God, and the whole world is in the power of the evil one."167

The Lord who has taken away your sin and pardoned your faults also protects you and keeps you from the wiles of your adversary the devil, so that the enemy, who is accustomed to leading into sin, may not surprise you. One who entrusts himself to God does not dread the devil. "If God is for us, who is against us?"168

2853 Victory over the "prince of this world"169 was won once for all at the Hour when Jesus freely gave himself up to death to give us his life. This is the judgment of this world, and the prince of this world is "cast out."170"He pursued the woman"171 but had no hold on her: the new Eve, "full of grace" of the Holy Spirit, is preserved from sin and the corruption of death (the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption of the Most Holy Mother of God, Mary, ever virgin). "Then the dragon was angry with the woman, and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring."172 Therefore the Spirit and the Church pray: "Come, Lord Jesus,"173 since his coming will deliver us from the Evil One.

2854 When we ask to be delivered from the Evil One, we pray as well to be freed from all evils, present, past, and future, of which he is the author or instigator. In this final petition, the Church brings before the Father all the distress of the world. Along with deliverance from the evils that overwhelm humanity, she implores the precious gift of peace and the grace of perseverance in expectation of Christ's return By praying in this way, she anticipates in humility of faith the gathering together of everyone and everything in him who has "the keys of Death and Hades," who "is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."174
I find it interesting that Julian, a defender of CC faith is refuted by his own catholic book, the Catechism. But here they say mostly what the bible also says, except 2853 about Mary, what is not from the bible.
I agree also with 2852 where it says through Satan sin and death entered this world. He sinned before Adam in the world of old and became the ruler of darkness. It is also right that through the sin of Adam he could enter. Both go together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 09:29 AM
 
9,922 posts, read 6,797,669 times
Reputation: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
From The Catholic Catechism:
VII "BUT DELIVER US FROM EVIL"
2850 The last petition to our Father is also included in Jesus' prayer: "I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one."163 It touches each of us personally, but it is always "we" who pray, in communion with the whole Church, for the deliverance of the whole human family. The Lord's Prayer continually opens us to the range of God's economy of salvation. Our interdependence in the drama of sin and death is turned into solidarity in the Body of Christ, the "communion of saints."164

2851 In this petition, evil is not an abstraction, but refers to a person, Satan, the Evil One, the angel who opposes God. The devil (dia-bolos) is the one who "throws himself across" God's plan and his work of salvation accomplished in Christ.

2852 "A murderer from the beginning, . . . a liar and the father of lies," Satan is "the deceiver of the whole world."165 Through him sin and death entered the world and by his definitive defeat all creation will be "freed from the corruption of sin and death."166 Now "we know that anyone born of God does not sin, but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him. We know that we are of God, and the whole world is in the power of the evil one."167

The Lord who has taken away your sin and pardoned your faults also protects you and keeps you from the wiles of your adversary the devil, so that the enemy, who is accustomed to leading into sin, may not surprise you. One who entrusts himself to God does not dread the devil. "If God is for us, who is against us?"168

2853 Victory over the "prince of this world"169 was won once for all at the Hour when Jesus freely gave himself up to death to give us his life. This is the judgment of this world, and the prince of this world is "cast out."170"He pursued the woman"171 but had no hold on her: the new Eve, "full of grace" of the Holy Spirit, is preserved from sin and the corruption of death (the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption of the Most Holy Mother of God, Mary, ever virgin). "Then the dragon was angry with the woman, and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring."172 Therefore the Spirit and the Church pray: "Come, Lord Jesus,"173 since his coming will deliver us from the Evil One.

2854 When we ask to be delivered from the Evil One, we pray as well to be freed from all evils, present, past, and future, of which he is the author or instigator. In this final petition, the Church brings before the Father all the distress of the world. Along with deliverance from the evils that overwhelm humanity, she implores the precious gift of peace and the grace of perseverance in expectation of Christ's return By praying in this way, she anticipates in humility of faith the gathering together of everyone and everything in him who has "the keys of Death and Hades," who "is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."174
Priscilla:

The CC still has Satan on the books. Now, that is very sad because one assumes the church to be better than that. IN this regard they need to come out of the Dark Ages and move to the 21st century. I have no issues in pointing out areas where the CHurch needs to change. The CC already believes in evolution and the Big Bang, so there is hope for change. At the priest level some have already made the switch and acknowledge there is no Satan.

The Problem with EVIL is a theological nightmare.

If God is all mighty, omnipotent, and ALL good------- how can God allow EVIL. By definition nothing EVIL comes from God. If we have a God that does nothing to prevent evil then God is seen as imperfect. One would think that a true God which is perfection would not create evil or allow evil.

What to do????? How can the so called theologians of the OT deal with EVIL and not affect the perfection of God. Easy! Come up with an adversary. Let another creature be in charge of EVIL and voilá this leaves God's reputation intact.

However, the mere fact that God allows Satan to exist is still a problem because it diminishes God at some level.

Furthermore, the existence of Satan creates the "The devil made me do it" concept which is highly illogical.

IN the end EVIL is within us and a result of our own free will. Satan is nothing but the symbol of evil within us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,565 posts, read 11,938,486 times
Reputation: 4522
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelist-77 View Post
Satan and man’s free will …
God created humans to have free will, not wishing to be worshipped by robots.
Satan can plant thoughts in man’s head (but cannot read his thoughts).
• If a Christian insists on entertaining a thought from Satan, and ignores
God’s “still small voice” (the Holy Spirit’s warning), God will NOT force him
to change his mind, i.e. He will NOT violate the Christian’s free will.
• If churches insist on entertaining thoughts from Satan, and ignore
God’s “still small voice” (the Holy Spirit’s warning), God will NOT force them
to change their minds, i.e. He will NOT violate their free will.
Regarding "free will":

Ultimate Responsibility:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 10:12 AM
 
238 posts, read 230,161 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
satan and his hoards hates all of God creation , and if you see if God were to removes satan from the earth then Hospitals and the medical community would go out of business, Jails and prisons would close , and polices and judges would have nothing to do , atheism and false religions would disappear, evil thoughts and deeds would be gone .............. See satan and his hoards are busy monsters of the earth and are very spiritually real and not a conjuncture of ideas of only evil of man ................. See the very judgment of the cross of Christ is the turning away from the tyrant satan who manipulated men to put Jesus on the cross and tried to kill Him for people who are Christians .................... See Christians can now rejoice to the Lord , that the authority of the earth is now under Lord Jesus Christ forever now ...Still satan and his hoards are a lot of work for this dispensation of the seasons of heaven .....
Thanks, hljc, for sharing your beliefs ... you have a strong revelation from God about who our mortal enemies are!
Many churches today have done a truly terrible job of sharing spiritual truths like this one with the masses!

However, the Holy Spirit is in BACs to lead them into "all truth".
IMO, those who do not even believe in Satan are not BACs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top