U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:20 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,641,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post

In fact my 8 year old son will educate the rest of you on all pagan holiday.
Not likely. I know actual Pagans. In fact I expect to open the mailbox this week and find my Happy Samhain cards. In return, I will send them Merry Christmas cards in December.

Tolerance and a sense of humor. Don't leave home without both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 08:31 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,873,079 times
Quote:
Worthy of a separate post-

My son will not stand before the Father on his day of judgment and say "but....but....well....I didn't know........please don't........"

Nope, not my son, he'll give no excuses.
You should be proud. So how old is this kid that knows it all and will not have even one excuse?

Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 PM

183 posts, read 140,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
You should be proud. So how old is this kid that knows it all and will not have even one excuse?

He'll be 8 on Nov 2nd.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:46 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,085,728 times
On the other hand, Pagans where not as blood thirsty as Christians have been in the past.

Of course can look at the Old Testament for how to do horrible things to other people. And they invented some of their own such as the Inquisition, the Crusades, and the witch hunts. Not to mention the burning stakes or the torture chambers.

I think I might prefer the peaceful pagans.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:47 PM

183 posts, read 140,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
On the other hand, Pagans where not as blood thirsty as Christians have been in the past.

Of course can look at the Old Testament for how to do horrible things to other people. And they invented some of their own such as the Inquisition, the Crusades, and the witch hunts. Not to mention the burning stakes or the torture chambers.

I think I might prefer the peaceful pagans.

Those are pagans.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:50 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccl 12vs13 View Post
One of the 2nd most popular seasons is upon us. My question is this: Will you allow your children, or even yourselves, to participate in MAN'S Halloween tradition?

Or how about looking at it this way; Do you think God would condone such a practice, knowing that it's origin is something God said we should not do? Do you think He would be ok with it? Or better yet....what if Jesus return happened on Halloween? Would you be ashamed or proud of what you are doing? What do you think He would say no matter WHAT you or your children were dressed up as?

Let's read a few verses;

Deut.12
[30] Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou inquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.

1 John 5:21
21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

God says to hold on to that which is good.
God tell us to avoid anything that may even appear to be evil.

Romans 12:9
9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

Paul tells us to abhor evil.

Deuteronomy 18:9-12
9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
[10] There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
[11] Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
[12] For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

God Himself tells us not to do the abominations of the other nations.

2 Corinthians 6:14-17
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

God tells us to separate ourselves from the customs of the world. What fellowship should you have with things once associated with idols and with darkness?

Not only were these things 'once' associated with witchcraft......they still are today. There are yet those today that consider Oct. 31st a most hallowed day. And yes! There are yet those that believe a human sacrifice is needed for their cause......yet another reason there are missing children and even adults.

Do you believe God has changed His mind today? That dressing up an ANY costumes and trick n treating is now alright in His sight?

Just consider if Jesus were to return on Halloween? Do you not think He knows the origin of this celebration? Do you think He would think this is something those that call themselves Christians should be participating in? Would He see this celebration as ‘separating ourselves from the world’?

Now let's read where ALL of our doctrine and teaching is to come from;

2 Tim.3
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Is the celebration of Halloween a doctrine that appears to line up with the practices of the bible?

Just something to think about!

God called.

He says you have too much time on your hands.

Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just the messanger!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:57 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,085,728 times
Quote:
Those are pagans.
History and the facts disagree with your perception

Old 10-26-2013, 09:02 PM

40,039 posts, read 26,720,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think God has a lot more important things to worry about than children playing dress-up and gathering candy from their neighbors. God didn't invent movies or sports, either. Men did. I also enjoy these activities and I'm pretty sure he's okay with them, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
LOL!
Ah Katz . . . you are so wise!Cannot rep you again so soon. It is a shame . . . the stupid things people allow themselves to worry about and make life such a drag for themselves and those they influence.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,164,770 times
Quote:
One of the 2nd most popular seasons is upon us. My question is this: Will you allow your children, or even yourselves, to participate in MAN'S Halloween tradition?

Or how about looking at it this way; Do you think God would condone such a practice, knowing that it's origin is something God said we should not do? Do you think He would be ok with it? Or better yet....what if Jesus return happened on Halloween? Would you be ashamed or proud of what you are doing? What do you think He would say no matter WHAT you or your children were dressed up as?

Let's read a few verses;

Deut.12
[30] Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou inquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.

1 John 5:21
21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

God says to hold on to that which is good.
God tell us to avoid anything that may even appear to be evil.

Romans 12:9
9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

Paul tells us to abhor evil.

Deuteronomy 18:9-12
9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
[10] There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
[11] Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
[12] For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

God Himself tells us not to do the abominations of the other nations.

2 Corinthians 6:14-17
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

God tells us to separate ourselves from the customs of the world. What fellowship should you have with things once associated with idols and with darkness?

Not only were these things 'once' associated with witchcraft......they still are today. There are yet those today that consider Oct. 31st a most hallowed day. And yes! There are yet those that believe a human sacrifice is needed for their cause......yet another reason there are missing children and even adults.

Do you believe God has changed His mind today? That dressing up an ANY costumes and trick n treating is now alright in His sight?

Just consider if Jesus were to return on Halloween? Do you not think He knows the origin of this celebration? Do you think He would think this is something those that call themselves Christians should be participating in? Would He see this celebration as ‘separating ourselves from the world’?

Now let's read where ALL of our doctrine and teaching is to come from;

2 Tim.3
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Is the celebration of Halloween a doctrine that appears to line up with the practices of the bible?

Just something to think about!

Can you name what was celebrated on a New Moon by Christians that pagans happened to miss?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:29 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,618,890 times
Quote:

Since I've been converted, I have decided to refrain from Halloween as I see it as a tradition which is very much associated with overt sexuality. I believe you've hit upon a key point when you mention "separating ourselves from the world". From my experience with the world and Christians, it seems that there are many who are too caught up in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think God has a lot more important things to worry about than children playing dress-up and gathering candy from their neighbors. God didn't invent movies or sports, either. Men did. I also enjoy these activities and I'm pretty sure he's okay with them, too.
I'm not sure that God "worries" about anything. He is the supreme Sovereign who has ordained all that has and will come to pass. Not sure there's much room for worry there. Lots of movies and sports aren't associated with the sinfulness of Halloween though, though there are some which are rather adulterous (some movies which come to mind) and it would be well for a Christian to avoid those as well.

If Halloween were a clean activity for little children in which gifts were passed out by neighbors, I don't feel there is much problem with it, though the origin of it would probably still be something which I would not feel comfortable with; my main problem with it is the trash which is associated with the adult Halloween parties. There is too much lasciviousness associated with the costumes and parties. Just for that, I would eschew the activity all together. Whatever it may have been ere one time, it has degenerated into a heathenish activity replete with the lustfulness of the reprobate.

It will do well to remember the situation in which many a time would bring about the wrath of the Lord: "...because they have cast away the law of the Lord of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel" (Isa 5:25). Perhaps instead of engaging in what usually amounts to much display of sexual immorality, adults as well as their children should devote the 31st of October to engaging in the study of God's word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or