U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:19 AM

827 posts, read 3,074,222 times

Advertisements

Partnership between a supermarket manager and a food bank director, to share "expired" food. Most expiration dates are not true expiration dates, but rather a "best by" date. This partnership yielded 685,000 lbs of food in 6 months!

A few blips from the article:

Between 30 and 40 percent of the country’s food supply is wasted, according to the Department of Agriculture. In 2010, the department estimates, 133 billion pounds of food from stores, restaurants and homes went to trash rather than the table.

The Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service says that “even if the date expires during home storage, a product should be safe, wholesome and of good quality if handled properly.”

The FoodBank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties had to find creative and sustainable methods for their ever depleting warehouse to feed the 127,000-plus people it serves.

When the expiration — or ‘sell by’ or ‘best by’ – date hits on grocery shelves the FoodBank replenishes its stores with products otherwise destined for the Dumpster. In six months the FoodBank collected more 685,000 pounds of food — nearly all of it expired and is on pace to exceed its goal of 1 million pounds for the year.

The program exists because of the expiration date — the little date stamped on by the manufacturer to suggest best taste or when it was produced. That way you know that it is time to move the hamburger meat from the fridge to the freezer and to slug the last of the milk.
Milk, commonly unloaded prematurely by retailers, is good for another week after its expiration. Meat can be frozen for up to a year, he said. The program in effect gives food a second life.

It is a WIN/WIN when retailers are educated to how products that previously went into the trash can help hungry stomachs get filled when they otherwise would not have.

• It’s tax-deductible, so it makes sense for retailers.
  • It cuts the cartage bill.
  • It’s free.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...50069&gcheck=1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM

758 posts, read 597,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
If your area is anything like mine, you get all kinds of requests for food aid for the poor. Salvation Army, Food banks, churches, etc, seem to be constantly trying to raise money to purchase food for poor people. But frankly, I find this confusing. Our nation has a record number of people on food stamps. Schools offer free breakfast and lunch. I've heard they will even send home snacks for the rest of the day. Food banks freely offer food to many. In our area, the food bank supposedly serves 100,000 people a year, which is about 1/3 of the total population of this area. Meals on wheels offers free meals to seniors. Yet one of our nations biggest problems is obesity.

I will probably get blasted for this, but I don't give to these organizations, except Salvation army, who tries to get the homeless back on their feet. Doesn't the words of Paul apply anymore, If any shall not work, neither should he eat. Certainly we don't apply this to the elderly or handicapped or children, but it seems to me a lot of able bodied people may just be living off the hard work of others. I think the food thing is being way overdone and the evidence is the high rates of obesity.

Tell me where I'm wrong. I'm waiting for someone to straighten me out.
Jesus said: The poor you will ALWAYS have with you. (feed them).

Do I have to expound on that simple statement? OR is it going to be twisted into meaning something totally different ?

Didn't Jesus also say - visit those that are "sick"?

Didn't jesus also say - visit those that are in prison?

It's all about "compassion" for others. This is Love - putting someone else first; ahead of your desires & wants. Making a "sacrifice".

Giving out of your excess is not giving - (Don't even Bother).

Giving what you can't afford; Now that is the one to whom God will bless in a mighty way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or