Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I will not give to charities that are for cancer or diabetes. These can be cured very easy with proper nutrition. Bit people rather have chemo than change their diets. It is sad that we even get these self inflicted cancers. Then we say that we inherited them. Rubbish. You inherent eye color. Your diet usually asks for these diseases. You can prevent it. And if you got it, it can be healed. But you never really hear about all the folks that are healed. Healing cancer is illegal in USA.
I realize this post was days ago but in my defense, I am just now starting to read the thread.

Just wanted to comment that the lack of basic knowledge contained within it may be a new record (low) for this forum.

Now back to reading....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:42 PM

Ok. Done reading.

At least there was some balance between the piously indignant and those who were actually right.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 PM

264 posts, read 351,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
If your area is anything like mine, you get all kinds of requests for food aid for the poor. Salvation Army, Food banks, churches, etc, seem to be constantly trying to raise money to purchase food for poor people. But frankly, I find this confusing. Our nation has a record number of people on food stamps. Schools offer free breakfast and lunch. I've heard they will even send home snacks for the rest of the day. Food banks freely offer food to many. In our area, the food bank supposedly serves 100,000 people a year, which is about 1/3 of the total population of this area. Meals on wheels offers free meals to seniors. Yet one of our nations biggest problems is obesity.

I will probably get blasted for this, but I don't give to these organizations, except Salvation army, who tries to get the homeless back on their feet. Doesn't the words of Paul apply anymore, If any shall not work, neither should he eat. Certainly we don't apply this to the elderly or handicapped or children, but it seems to me a lot of able bodied people may just be living off the hard work of others. I think the food thing is being way overdone and the evidence is the high rates of obesity.

Tell me where I'm wrong. I'm waiting for someone to straighten me out.

You are correct! The poor that we are to go out to feed are those who are spiritual starving and the food is the Bread of life so that God can raise up their standards and be their God.
When we go out and hand out sandwiches to those who have not come into the kingdom of God by accepting Christ, we are making us their god for they have no heart to know God, they just look to you to bring the next supply of food. The welfare teaches us that!
You can not buy hearts for God.
And famine and poverty come from being under the curse for disobedience to God's Word. I do not mean to say that you can not give a starving person a sandwich if he is put in your path.. but to go out with money that belongs to the people of God that need help, to the ungodly to reward them when they are not living right is WRONG!
Jesus nor any apostle handed out food to the poor... before you JUMP and say, Jesus fed 5,000!!
Take a look at that story again and you will plainly see that FIRST the people ate the spiritual meal that Jesus was serving to them that day, Secondly they gave an offering.. of all they had, to the man of God to be lifted up in Thanksgiving unto God giving back to God for their appreciation for the meal for their souls. THEN.. God the Father in heaven multiplied their offering so that it not only fed all of them, men, women and children, but there was 12 baskets left over! So Jesus never went about just feeding physical food to those who rejected TRUTH.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 PM

264 posts, read 351,018 times
Speaking of dishing out OFFERINGS to cancer and other diseases to find cures. I do not give to godless charities.
There is already a cure for them all his name is Jesus the Word of God that takes away all of our diseases when we just obey the Voice of the LORD.
Ex 15:26
26 And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.
KJV
Ps 103:1-3
Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
KJV

And as you are stumbling and falling as a babe in Christ who is learning how to WALK in the Word. While you are still down there on your knees ask for forgiveness and ask the Father for His Hand to help you back up and He will help you get back on track and heal all your wounds.
James 5:14-16
14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
KJV

The Great Physician never tells us to go see a man because he has no idea what is the matter or the type of ailment you suffer from, he IS the cure All!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Must be some kind of funda-magnet that draws them here....

Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Some people fail to understand that often the help God(swt) gives us is that which we can provide to ourselves and others.

Prayer does not remove our responsibility to physically do what we can for our fellow travelers on this planet.

There is the story of the deeply pious man who lived in a cabin deep in the woods. He knew God(swt) would provide for his needs and keep him from harm.

One day a it began to rain and the river near him began to rise. He prayed for protection. A game warden came by in a jeep and told the man to leave before the river flooded. The man stayed and prayed all the stonger. The water kept coming and a Red cross worker came by in a boat and told him to get in. He refused and said he trusted in the Lord(swt) and knew his prayers would save him.

The water got deeper he climbed up on the roof of his cabin and prayed more. A rescue helicopter came by and he refused to leave saying he knew God(swt) Would protect him.

He drowned.

He asked God(swt) why weren't his prayers answered and God(swt) let him drown.

His answer was "I sent you a jeep, a boat and even a helicopter. You refused my help."

MORAL: Even Noah had to build the ark by hand.

REMINDER: We our self may sometimes be the answer to another person's prayer, let us all be mindful to do what we can for those we can help. God(swt) does answer prayers but often that answer will be in the hands of our Brothers and sisters.

From the word's of Muhammad(saws): "Trust in Allah(swt), but remember to tie up your camel."

Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
I do not give to godless charities.
Do you tithe?

Old 11-07-2013, 03:31 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
You are correct! The poor that we are to go out to feed are those who are spiritual starving and the food is the Bread of life so that God can raise up their standards and be their God.
When we go out and hand out sandwiches to those who have not come into the kingdom of God by accepting Christ, we are making us their god for they have no heart to know God, they just look to you to bring the next supply of food. The welfare teaches us that!
You can not buy hearts for God.
And famine and poverty come from being under the curse for disobedience to God's Word. I do not mean to say that you can not give a starving person a sandwich if he is put in your path.. but to go out with money that belongs to the people of God that need help, to the ungodly to reward them when they are not living right is WRONG!
Jesus nor any apostle handed out food to the poor... before you JUMP and say, Jesus fed 5,000!!
Take a look at that story again and you will plainly see that FIRST the people ate the spiritual meal that Jesus was serving to them that day, Secondly they gave an offering.. of all they had, to the man of God to be lifted up in Thanksgiving unto God giving back to God for their appreciation for the meal for their souls. THEN.. God the Father in heaven multiplied their offering so that it not only fed all of them, men, women and children, but there was 12 baskets left over! So Jesus never went about just feeding physical food to those who rejected TRUTH.
Is the parable of the Good Samaritan in your bible ?.

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers

Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
"Jesus! Don't give that man any bread or fish. He smokes, I'm his landlord and I don't like how he manages his money. I'm telling you Jesus. Just stop. I know more about this situation than you do and being charitable to this guy bugs the heck out of me. What? You want ME to give you a fish to multiply? No, way! I earned my fish. Let all these people go out and earn their own! I'm pretty sure I saw one of these women use a SNAP card then get in an Escalade with really nice rims."
2 Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."

Proverbs 28:19 "Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits will have plenty of poverty" (Proverbs contains TONS of great verses about lazy people.)

Proverbs 6:6 "Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise."

Read this page for more information on what the Bible says about laziness: What does the Bible say about laziness?

I wouldn't have to tell Jesus not to give that man any bread or fish because Jesus would do one of two things: He would either withhold those items on the grounds that this sluggard had earned his lot, or he would feed the guy and tell him "Go and sin no more". Since He is Jesus, the guy would certainly believe and obey him just as did the prostitute whom He saved from a stoning. Since none of the rest of us is Jesus, we cannot create such an immediate change in a person.

I'm plenty charitable to people who are in true need... sometimes to a fault. But there is no exhortation in the Bible to be charitable to those who are not in true need. If you are using a SNAP card but you can afford to drive an Escalade, I have nothing positive to say about you and I sure as heck won't feed you nor willingly support any organization that does. Get your butt off the couch, put down the cigarettes and beer, and get to work. Sell the Escalade if you have to, and buy a 10-year-old Cavalier to get around. That'll give you some working money for now, and you'll still have transportation. Escalades are for people who can afford their own food and shelter in addition to a fancy car.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
2 Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."

Proverbs 28:19 "Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits will have plenty of poverty" (Proverbs contains TONS of great verses about lazy people.)

Proverbs 6:6 "Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise."

Read this page for more information on what the Bible says about laziness: What does the Bible say about laziness?

I wouldn't have to tell Jesus not to give that man any bread or fish because Jesus would do one of two things: He would either withhold those items on the grounds that this sluggard had earned his lot, or he would feed the guy and tell him "Go and sin no more". Since He is Jesus, the guy would certainly believe and obey him just as did the prostitute whom He saved from a stoning. Since none of the rest of us is Jesus, we cannot create such an immediate change in a person.

I'm plenty charitable to people who are in true need... sometimes to a fault. But there is no exhortation in the Bible to be charitable to those who are not in true need. If you are using a SNAP card but you can afford to drive an Escalade, I have nothing positive to say about you and I sure as heck won't feed you nor willingly support any organization that does. Get your butt off the couch, put down the cigarettes and beer, and get to work. Sell the Escalade if you have to, and buy a 10-year-old Cavalier to get around. That'll give you some working money for now, and you'll still have transportation. Escalades are for people who can afford their own food and shelter in addition to a fancy car.
And this is SO why I know longer attend church. The belief that every man but me is nothing but a thief.

I would rather have a few steal from me in order to feed the truly hungry rather than be a jackal and let the many starve in order to keep a few thieves away.

People can read about Jesus' life---the only people He ever criticized were the most religious of His day--and then because they twisted scripture for their own selfish purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity