U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:08 PM

383 posts, read 723,787 times

Advertisements

cupper3, thank you for responding to my post. Why yes, we have told our children that the actual dates of Christmas and Easter are not "correct". Hmmm, the very definition of Christmas is the celebration of Christ's birth -- totally not a pagan origin. Now what the world has made of it, that is a whole other story. Easter is the celebration of Christ's resurrection -- again, not a pagan origin.

I do not assume that everyone on this forum is from the USA. I am aware that many countries do not even have a holiday called "Thanksgiving". For those that do, my intention is to focus on the true meaning of that holiday -- being thankful for what we have been given (life to start with).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,149,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
cupper3, thank you for responding to my post. Why yes, we have told our children that the actual dates of Christmas and Easter are not "correct". Hmmm, the very definition of Christmas is the celebration of Christ's birth -- totally not a pagan origin. Now what the world has made of it, that is a whole other story. Easter is the celebration of Christ's resurrection -- again, not a pagan origin.

I do not assume that everyone on this forum is from the USA. I am aware that many countries do not even have a holiday called "Thanksgiving". For those that do, my intention is to focus on the true meaning of that holiday -- being thankful for what we have been given (life to start with).
Have you ever given thought as to why the Christian Church adopted the pagan holidays?

Old 11-01-2013, 06:10 PM

4,463 posts, read 4,120,130 times
To make it easier for the Pagans to join Christianity back then. They didnt want to give up their holidays.

A better thought should be why doesn't Christianity do what the bible says and DO NOT conform itself to the world and must partake in every worldly thing there is and just slap the name Jesus on top of it and suddenly all is well.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:15 PM

21,999 posts, read 22,312,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I don't think anybody should bash Christmas, we should just recognize that the term here means different things to different people.

To many secular people, is a wonderful time of the year for family together. For Christians see it as a religious holiday. Some religions celebrate the rebirth of the Sun the Northern Hemisphere.
I hope you didn't take me seriously. I get no pleasure out of bashing anybody's holidays, religious or otherwise. It just seems like every year, though, we have to go through the holidays one-by-one and listen to people telling us why we shouldn't be celebrating them. I'm just kind of getting ready for the onslaught from the posters from one particular Christian denomination who always have to spoil Christmas for all of the rest of us, just because they don't believe in celebrating it.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:41 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,149,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I hope you didn't take me seriously. I get no pleasure out of bashing anybody's holidays, religious or otherwise. It just seems like every year, though, we have to go through the holidays one-by-one and listen to people telling us why we shouldn't be celebrating them. I'm just kind of getting ready for the onslaught from the posters from one particular Christian denomination who always have to spoil Christmas for all of the rest of us, just because they don't believe in celebrating it.
No problem. Discussing ideas can be done even when we disagree significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or