U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM

6,822 posts, read 5,158,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
OK. I just fear that I will come off sounding ridiculous given the fact that I still choose to drink.
I think if the Holy Spirit is indwelling you, than you will feel conviction of the sin in your life. Listen to Him and yield to Him. We are told to not grieve God's Holy Spirit. Sin grieves God. We are also told not to be drunk with wine but filled with the Holy Spirit. For the saved, God is working to conform His Children into the image of His son. This conforming involves sacrifice as God is transforming our character to align with His ultimately for His glory and for our benefit.

Christian growth is a process. You can certainly be a Christian and have a drink, but if He's bought you than He is committed to you and forming Christ in you. His Spirit will convict you of sin and work in you where eventually to will no longer want to drink as God hates drunkenness.

There are some other heavy Scripture regarding getting drunk that need to be taken into consideration..

Matthew 24:48-51

But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;

And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,

And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM

21,648 posts, read 30,269,947 times
Quote:
I attend a Christian church, and attended a retreat last weekend. The night before, I was invited to a naughty ladies party. I declined, thinking that wouldn't be the best spiritual preparation the night before a retreat. During the retreat, I found out that my friend has decided to hold another naughty lady party at her house next month. Being at the retreat, my first instinct was to decline because it all just doesn't seem like something a mature Christian woman would take part in.

Well now I'm back in the "real world" and first of all, I am too afraid to tell my friend, who I drink with all the time, that I cannot attend her party because I'm trying to mature in my Christian walk. She might laugh me out of her house! Secondly, I'm starting to think, what is the big deal, I'll just go and not buy anything. Would it really be that big of a deal if I went?
Is this a place you would take Jesus to? You know He is everywhere you go.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 PM

183 posts, read 140,530 times
Quote:
OK. I just fear that I will come off sounding ridiculous given the fact that I still choose to drink.

Drunks won't enter the Kingdom.........either.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 PM

13,889 posts, read 12,655,712 times
If you invited these women to a Christian get-together, would they come? If not, why should you feel obligated to go to their party?

Old 10-28-2013, 09:10 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,697,051 times
Quote:
I attend a Christian church, and attended a retreat last weekend. The night before, I was invited to a naughty ladies party. I declined, thinking that wouldn't be the best spiritual preparation the night before a retreat. During the retreat, I found out that my friend has decided to hold another naughty lady party at her house next month. Being at the retreat, my first instinct was to decline because it all just doesn't seem like something a mature Christian woman would take part in.

Well now I'm back in the "real world" and first of all, I am too afraid to tell my friend, who I drink with all the time, that I cannot attend her party because I'm trying to mature in my Christian walk. She might laugh me out of her house! Secondly, I'm starting to think, what is the big deal, I'll just go and not buy anything. Would it really be that big of a deal if I went?
If this woman is your FRIEND she will respect the fact that you're trying to walk a new path.

Does she know you attend a Christian church? I can't say I know that many Christian women who get invited to those types of parties. Not if they are open about their faith. They tend to get invited to book club night and actual Tupperware parties. Not naughty ladies night.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 PM

25,889 posts, read 13,451,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
Drunks won't enter the Kingdom.........either.
You have the list eh?

Lucky, lucky you.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,646,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You have the list eh?

Lucky, lucky you.
Maybe he is able to read the list that God gave us.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 PM

25,889 posts, read 13,451,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Or not.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,697,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Whoa. There is a BIG difference between having drinks and being a drunk. The OP should be allowed the courtesy, IMHO, of not being subjected to a lot of judgement and posts about drunks and your opinion of who gets into heaven when all she asked about was attending a particular type of party. Unless this "list" is everyone who has a drink. In which case Heaven will be filled with puritanical Americans and a LOT of people are going to be very surprised to find out they made the rules. Not God.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-28-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,426,465 times
Quote:
I still choose to drink, too. Must I give up EVERY fun thing? Not ready to give up EVERYthing (given up enough). I know: compared to what Jesus gave up, my stuff isn't anything (but truthfully, it's something to ME).
I wouldn't attend the naughty ladies party because it would probably frustrate me (as I've been celibate for a while). Temptation is crazy. One starts thinking stuff like, "Sure wish I had someone to use this with." If you do (a husband), great. If not, darn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity