U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 PM

9,311 posts, read 5,507,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I attend a Christian church, and attended a retreat last weekend. The night before, I was invited to a naughty ladies party. I declined, thinking that wouldn't be the best spiritual preparation the night before a retreat. During the retreat, I found out that my friend has decided to hold another naughty lady party at her house next month. Being at the retreat, my first instinct was to decline because it all just doesn't seem like something a mature Christian woman would take part in.

Well now I'm back in the "real world" and first of all, I am too afraid to tell my friend, who I drink with all the time, that I cannot attend her party because I'm trying to mature in my Christian walk. She might laugh me out of her house! Secondly, I'm starting to think, what is the big deal, I'll just go and not buy anything. Would it really be that big of a deal if I went?
You know what you want and you know what you should do.

Choose this day whom you will serve.

I've frequently given in to what I "want" to do, but I've never "regretted" doing what I should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 PM

794 posts, read 677,790 times
A "party" like this is just another manifestation of sin. I would say that someone who finds joy and has no remorse over hosting an event such as this probably is not saved. You shouldn't vex your saved soul by attending it. Your mind may tell you that you can handle it, but its a lie. The devil uses every little thing in your sight and memory to accuse you and make you feel guilty. You also shouldn't worry about feeling ridiculous around people you fear may see you as ridiculous for saying no to attending such a thing. Remember that people of the world will always try to down play sin to make it sound like not such a bad things. That is why we have children today talking worse than drunken sailors and doing things that a career criminal wouldn't even approve of. Don't forget there are consequences for sin. Not punishment anymore for the believer. Believers do not reap the sins they sow because they are saved. However, they still suffer the consequences. For example, if you are rude to people you won't have many friends. That is not God punishing you. That is a consequences for the sin of rudeness. In this case, going to a thing like this can get you labeled, cause rumors, tempt you and effect other areas of your life that you may never expect. The world is always tempting us but we don't have to give in to feel accepted because we are accepted into something so much better, God's everlasting family!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 PM

183 posts, read 140,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe he is able to read the list that God gave us.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

New International Version (NIV)

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

A good bible teaching church huh? (Edit) I should give you the benefit of the doubt but you did not post chapter and verse. I have no idea if you were being sincere or climbing on with the smart alec?

Last edited by ShepherdMaster; 10-28-2013 at 11:39 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 11:20 PM

183 posts, read 140,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You have the list eh?

Lucky, lucky you.
Well looky here, a list, imagine that.......

A short Bible Study on Drunkenness.
Pr 23:29-35 (NIV) Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaints? Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes? Those who linger over wine, who go to sample bowls of mixed wine. Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly! In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper. Your eyes will see strange sights and your mind imagine confusing things. You will be like one sleeping on the high seas, lying on top of the rigging. "They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt! They beat me, but I don't feel it! When will I wake up so I can find another drink?" Isa 5:11-12 (NIV) Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine. They have harps and lyres at their banquets, tambourines and flutes and wine, but they have no regard for the deeds of the Lord, no respect for the work of his hands.
1Sam 1:14 (NIV) and said to her, "How long will you keep on getting drunk? Get rid of your wine."
Pr 20:1,17 (NIV) Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise... He who loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and oil will never be rich.
Pr 23:20-21 (NIV) Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.
Pr 31:4-7 (NIV) "It is not for kings, O Lemuel--not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, lest they drink and forget what the law decrees, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights. Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more."
Isa 5:22 (NIV) Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks.
Isa 19:14 (NIV) The Lord has poured into them a spirit of dizziness; they make Egypt stagger in all that she does, as a drunkard staggers around in his vomit.
Isa 28:1,7-8 (NIV) Woe to that wreath, the pride of Ephraim's drunkards, to the fading flower, his glorious beauty, set on the head of a fertile valley--to that city, the pride of those laid low by wine!.. And these also stagger from wine and reel from beer: Priests and prophets stagger from beer and are befuddled with wine; they reel from beer, they stagger when seeing visions, they stumble when rendering decisions. All the tables are covered with vomit and there is not a spot without filth.
Jer 25:27 (NIV) "Then tell them, 'This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Drink, get drunk and vomit, and fall to rise no more because of the sword I will send among you.'"
Hos 7:14 (NIV) They do not cry out to me from their hearts but wail upon their beds. They gather together for grain and new wine but turn away from me.
Amos 6:6 (NIV) You drink wine by the bowlful and use the finest lotions, but you do not grieve over the ruin of Joseph.
Mic 2:11 (NIV) If a liar and deceiver comes and says, 'I will prophesy for you plenty of wine and beer,' he would be just the prophet for this people!
Ge 9:21 (NIV) When he [Noah] drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent.
Hab 2:15-17 (NIV) "Woe to him who gives drink to his neighbors, pouring it from the wineskin till they are drunk, so that he can gaze on their naked bodies. You will be filled with shame instead of glory. Now it is your turn! Drink and be exposed! The cup from the Lord's right hand is coming round to you, and disgrace will cover your glory. The violence you have done to Lebanon will overwhelm you, and your destruction of animals will terrify you. For you have shed man's blood; you have destroyed lands and cities and everyone in them."
Mat 24:49 (NIV) "...and he then begins to beat his fellow-servants and to eat and drink with drunkards."
Luke 12:45 (NIV) But suppose the servant says to himself, `My master is taking a long time in coming,' and he then begins to beat the menservants and maidservants and to eat and drink and get drunk.
Luke 21:34 (NIV) "Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap."
Rom 13:13 (NIV) Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.
Gal 5:19-21 (NIV) The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Eph 5:18 (NIV) Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
1Th 5:7-8 (NIV) For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,558,529 times
Despite great criticism, and being grossly tangential, I am curious what else the OP needs at this juncture? Some telling her to follow her heart, some suggesting it would be a temptation and vexation, some suggesting diverse other choices. Can you tell us what you did/will do OP and how we can help you, if possible, on the topic of your choice?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 PM

8,767 posts, read 10,864,802 times
Quote:
I attend a Christian church, and attended a retreat last weekend. The night before, I was invited to a naughty ladies party. I declined, thinking that wouldn't be the best spiritual preparation the night before a retreat. During the retreat, I found out that my friend has decided to hold another naughty lady party at her house next month. Being at the retreat, my first instinct was to decline because it all just doesn't seem like something a mature Christian woman would take part in.

Well now I'm back in the "real world" and first of all, I am too afraid to tell my friend, who I drink with all the time, that I cannot attend her party because I'm trying to mature in my Christian walk. She might laugh me out of her house! Secondly, I'm starting to think, what is the big deal, I'll just go and not buy anything. Would it really be that big of a deal if I went?

You already have a great and very relevant answer ... all you need now is a delivery system. Remember, "fear is not of the Lord."

Old 10-31-2013, 09:38 PM

25,889 posts, read 13,458,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
Well looky here, a list, imagine that.......

A short Bible Study on Drunkenness.
Pr 23:29-35 (NIV) Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaints? Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes? Those who linger over wine, who go to sample bowls of mixed wine. Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly! In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper. Your eyes will see strange sights and your mind imagine confusing things. You will be like one sleeping on the high seas, lying on top of the rigging. "They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt! They beat me, but I don't feel it! When will I wake up so I can find another drink?" Isa 5:11-12 (NIV) Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine. They have harps and lyres at their banquets, tambourines and flutes and wine, but they have no regard for the deeds of the Lord, no respect for the work of his hands.
1Sam 1:14 (NIV) and said to her, "How long will you keep on getting drunk? Get rid of your wine."
Pr 20:1,17 (NIV) Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise... He who loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and oil will never be rich.
Pr 23:20-21 (NIV) Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.
Pr 31:4-7 (NIV) "It is not for kings, O Lemuel--not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, lest they drink and forget what the law decrees, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights. Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more."
Isa 5:22 (NIV) Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks.
Isa 19:14 (NIV) The Lord has poured into them a spirit of dizziness; they make Egypt stagger in all that she does, as a drunkard staggers around in his vomit.
Isa 28:1,7-8 (NIV) Woe to that wreath, the pride of Ephraim's drunkards, to the fading flower, his glorious beauty, set on the head of a fertile valley--to that city, the pride of those laid low by wine!.. And these also stagger from wine and reel from beer: Priests and prophets stagger from beer and are befuddled with wine; they reel from beer, they stagger when seeing visions, they stumble when rendering decisions. All the tables are covered with vomit and there is not a spot without filth.
Jer 25:27 (NIV) "Then tell them, 'This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Drink, get drunk and vomit, and fall to rise no more because of the sword I will send among you.'"
Hos 7:14 (NIV) They do not cry out to me from their hearts but wail upon their beds. They gather together for grain and new wine but turn away from me.
Amos 6:6 (NIV) You drink wine by the bowlful and use the finest lotions, but you do not grieve over the ruin of Joseph.
Mic 2:11 (NIV) If a liar and deceiver comes and says, 'I will prophesy for you plenty of wine and beer,' he would be just the prophet for this people!
Ge 9:21 (NIV) When he [Noah] drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent.
Hab 2:15-17 (NIV) "Woe to him who gives drink to his neighbors, pouring it from the wineskin till they are drunk, so that he can gaze on their naked bodies. You will be filled with shame instead of glory. Now it is your turn! Drink and be exposed! The cup from the Lord's right hand is coming round to you, and disgrace will cover your glory. The violence you have done to Lebanon will overwhelm you, and your destruction of animals will terrify you. For you have shed man's blood; you have destroyed lands and cities and everyone in them."
Mat 24:49 (NIV) "...and he then begins to beat his fellow-servants and to eat and drink with drunkards."
Luke 12:45 (NIV) But suppose the servant says to himself, `My master is taking a long time in coming,' and he then begins to beat the menservants and maidservants and to eat and drink and get drunk.
Luke 21:34 (NIV) "Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap."
Rom 13:13 (NIV) Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.
Gal 5:19-21 (NIV) The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Eph 5:18 (NIV) Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
1Th 5:7-8 (NIV) For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.
Too bad the source isn't credible.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:43 PM

6,840 posts, read 7,905,746 times
Quote:

You don't even have to say anything about your beliefs or Christian walk. Just tell your friend you're not into that type of gathering. I know plenty of secular people who wouldn't partake in that. Also, it's perfectly fine to enjoy a couple of drinks. Now, if you're getting plastered on a regular basis, or doing very stupid and unholy things while you drink, that's another issue alltogether.....

Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 AM

767 posts, read 430,692 times
Quote:

anything that isn't of a spiritual nature. And would be deemed detestable to Jehovah God ,(Exo. 6:3) and Jesus. Those who say they are christians shouldn't get involved with.That party was of satan, even though they wasn't worshiping him...per say. This is why Jehovah God and Jesus show their people are NOT to be part of satan's world. Meaning don't get involved with certain activities...

1. James4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendshipof the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friendof the world is the enemy of God.

2.1John2:15,16 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. Forall that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

3. John17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

This is how MANY will cause themselves to be destroyed. They worry more about what an imperfect human would do or say, Than Jesus and his Father, who can save them. In a sense you're fearing man, (figure of speech). This is why Jehovah God warns us NOT to even be in company of those who refuse to do his WILL ,as Jesus said, (Matt.7:21). and (Psa.1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful). as well as follow Jesus ,(Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me). You asked if it would be a big deal if you go? Again, you are more worried of how she would act, than who could save your life. Yes if you claim to follow Jesus, it's a very big deal to him. As well as it would be to his Father Jehovah God.

We can't straddle the fence. Either we're going to make satan happy, (which by the way, he's the one putting in your head, the feelings of how your friend would act), Or Jesus and Jehovah God. It's not hard for many to do Jehovah will or follow Jesus. Because many people could care less about what friends, family and society would think. So satan has to find another trick for them ,(Ephe. 6:11). Satan knows our weaknesses, and he WILL use it against us. You'll just have to figure out what's more important, your friendship with someone who's basically following satan. Or if you truly want a relationship with Jesus ,and his Father(3 John 1:11 Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God).Peace

Old 11-01-2013, 12:13 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,767,037 times
I've never heard of a "naughty ladies party". I must be sheltered because I am 50 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity