Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 04:26 PM

6,370 posts, read 6,986,043 times

Advertisements

Luk 13:6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
Luk 13:7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
Luk 13:8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
Luk 13:9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

I see this verse a direct warning to everyone that ever disregards the Truth. I am curious though about the 3 years. This means something but I'm not sure why 3. With Christ and these statements it is never arbitrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 05:00 PM

9,664 posts, read 9,919,726 times
Means to fertilize to tree or nurture it with food , see there is plenty of nutrition from manure from sheep and cows , and horses , when the animal eat hay, and digest it come out , which the farmer puts on His plants ...but if you feed the animal grain then E coli bacteria virus which is a hazard , but if you feed the animal hay or grasses then the manure will be good for fertilizer......... See as a metaphor people could be the tree , and development in Christ could come to the person or no development and no fruit of the spirit developed from the Spirit which the gift of Christ went ignored , could be a metaphor of the parable , since the fig tree means sin , as Adam and Eve hid themselves from God with fig leaves , which are the very large leaves

Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 PM

535 posts, read 962,167 times
Fruiting fig trees have a long juvenile period compared to other fruit trees. Most figs will not produce a crop for the first four to five years, notes Rutgers University. If the fig is severely injured by over-pruning or an unusual frost, it may take longer to fruit for the first time.

Even healthy, mature fig trees may not bear fruit on schedule if the right environmental conditions are missing. Figs may not pollinate properly in hot, dry weather. This can cause a poor crop or no fruit at all. You may also have problems with figs if you over-prune during the winter or if you prune improperly. Figs that suffer from root knot nematodes may also have trouble fruiting correctly.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
three years—a long enough trial for a fig tree, and so denoting probably just a sufficient period of culture for spiritual fruit. The supposed allusion to the duration of our Lord's ministry is precarious.

Last edited by Priscilla Martin; 10-28-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 06:11 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,289,799 times
Three years was the duration of Christ's active ministry on earth. When he was done with that, he'd look elsewhere for fruit (Gentile outreach, diaspora, persecution).

Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,594,770 times
Hebrews 6

1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
3 And this will we do, if God permit.
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:
8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

I think there is a direct application here.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:42 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,416,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
Three years was the duration of Christ's active ministry on earth. When he was done with that, he'd look elsewhere for fruit (Gentile outreach, diaspora, persecution).
Yes, that was the symbolic meaning when Jesus eventually cursed the fig tree in Matthew 21. The fig tree was the Jewish nation of Israel and Jesus found no fruit in it.

That is why Jesus said what he did in Matthew 8:10-12
“Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.
I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.
But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Last edited by twin.spin; 10-29-2013 at 01:54 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,650,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Luk 13:6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
Luk 13:7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
Luk 13:8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
Luk 13:9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

I see this verse a direct warning to everyone that ever disregards the Truth. I am curious though about the 3 years. This means something but I'm not sure why 3. With Christ and these statements it is never arbitrary.
Yes, Israel is a lesson for us all to remember that within this parable stands a warning for anyone to whom God has revealed His truth: Do not delay producing good fruit (I Peter 4:17-19; II Peter 3:3-10)!

The coming of the owner for fruit I see is God's desire for His people to produce good works. The barrenness of the tree portrays the wickedness of the people, who produced nothing of benefit to others.
Through Israel by not believing and obeying God this parable lesson teaches the importance that we listen and obey God when He speaks and blesses us through His word and especially following through with whatever He has commanded us in any given situation to produce His good works within our lives and benefiting other's according to the truth He reveals to us.... or we too shall find our roots cut down.(Matthew 21:19).

I also believe God's good works in our life is reveal in a changed heart and resulting with
"the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
And others will greatly benefit from the work of God in the life of one who believes and obeys, following the leading of the Spirit in the heart that has been changed and given to God completely to do His good works, amen !!

"I am curious though about the 3 years".

You will find that numbers do have significance in the word of God.
About a month ago I, just like you was curious about a situation where it came to a number biblically and had me curious and so I did a search to see biblically how the importance numbers have in the Scripture and found it quite interesting in my finds to the significance and meaning of numbers according to/in God's word.

A little something about the number 3:
1. The number three represents that which is solid, real, substantial, and something in its completeness.
2. Also number 3 usually indicates something of importance or significance in God's plan of salvation by identifying an important event in Salvation History.
3. The number 3 also operates as a "sign-post" in Scripture study for the reader to "pay attention" to the significance of the next event.

Here is a list which number 3 is the first of the 4 perfect numbers:
3 (divine perfection)
7 (spiritual perfection)
10 (ordinal perfection)
12 (governmental perfection)

I'll leave this find ^^^^ for you as you seek out your curiosity of the 3 years !

Note: we do need to pray continually and be careful by staying within the Spirit's leading when it comes to placing such interest in numbers biblically.
As a warning and cautious when assigning too much importance to numbers in the Bible, as this has lead some groups to mystical and theological extremes, believing numbers can reveal the future, or uncover hidden information. This, of course, delves into the dangerous realm of divination.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:58 AM

76,829 posts, read 47,146,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post

Yes, I think the 'fruit' in this case is not referring to works, but repentance and accepting the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity