U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 PM

21,607 posts, read 16,590,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
In scanning through the Christianity forum postings I find very few threads and posts that deal with prayer. The Bible is full of verses about prayer. Walk into any mass or service and you will find people praying. Why aren’t we talking about it?

I found the following online.

The Importance of Prayer - Colossians 1:9,10 if it doesn’t send a chill up and down your spine I don’t know what will.

Jay Kesler, the former President of Youth for Christ and the current President of Taylor University, was on one of his frequent flights. When lunch was served the young man next to him declined a lunch tray.
[font=Verdana]During the whole lunchtime this man sat with his head bowed, apparently in [font=Verdana]prayer.Moderator cut: edit

leaders of the Christian world will fall. We pray that they will fall into sexual sin, and that their family life would crumble."

R. A. Torrey the great American evangelist, pastor, preacher, teacher and writer wrote in How To Pray, Chapter 1 The Importance of Prayer,

How To Pray - Christian Classics Ethereal Library
But why is this constant, persistent, sleepless, overcoming prayer so needful?
[font=Verdana]First of all, BECAUSE THERE IS A DEVIL.He is cunning, he is mighty, he never rests, he is ever plotting the downfall of the child of God; and if the child of God relaxes in prayer, the devil will succeed in ensnaring him. [font=Verdana]This is the thought of the context. The 12th verse [Ephesions 6] reads: "For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (R.V.) Moderator cut: edit

Of 11 reasons for prayer R.A. Torrey cites, this is number 1. I repeat THIS IS #1. I read post after post, thread after thread claiming there is no devil, there are no demons. Ladies and gentlemen, that is exactly what Satan wants you to believe. I don’t know where it came from other than the father of all lies himself-the devil-but I see more threads and posts on this Christianity forum stating as if it were some scientifically proven fact that there are no demons and no Satan. You’re being played by the master of deception.

Hi Priscilla. Prayer is certainly important. God communicates with man through His Word, and He has provided prayer as a grace means for believers to communicate with Him. And God desires and expects for us to come to Him in prayer. In fact, prayer is so important that both Jesus and the Holy Spirit pray on our behalf. Hebrews 7:25 tells us that Jesus is always making intercession for us while Romans 8:26-27 tells us that the Holy Spirit intercedes for us according to the will of God with reference to God the Father.
Hebrews 7:24 but Jesus, on the other hand, because He continues forever, holds His priesthood permanently. 25] Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

Romans 8:26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27] and He who searches the hearts know what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
Through prayer we give thanks to God, we intercede for others, and make petitions regarding our own needs. God knows our needs before we ask, but He wants us to talk to Him and express our needs to Him.

And through intercessory prayer we enter into ministry for others by praying for them. Prayer is a part of our portfolio of divine operating assets which God has given the believer and is a function of our priesthood.

There are a number of reasons why prayer goes unanswered and they are all related to carnality on the part of the believer.
Lack of faith: Matthew 21:22, Mark 11:24

Wrong motives, Selfishness: James 4:2-3

Lack of compassion: Proverbs 21:13

Lack of domestic tranquility: 1 Peter 3:7

Pride: Job 35:12-13

Asking for things outside of God's will: 1 John 5:14

Disobedience: 1 John 3:22

Not being filled with the Spirit: Ephesians 6:18

When we are not filled with the Spirit we are in a state of carnality under the control of our old sin nature. All of the reasons given above involve some facet of carnality. To be filled with the Spirit and move from carnality to status quo spirituality we must acknowledge our sins to God as per the principle of 1 John 1:9 That puts us in a position to pray. But as soon as we manifest any of the first six things listed above we go right back into a state of carnality and are not filled with the Spirit and need to get back into fellowship again.
Prayer therefore involves,
1. Confession of sin: 1 John 1:9

2. Thanksgiving: Ephesians 5:20; 1 Thessalonians 5:18

3. Intercession for others: Ephesians 6:18

4. Petition for ourselves: Hebrews 4:16

Now regarding Satan, because we live in the devil's world, and because it is Satan's desire to remain unnoticed by mankind which makes it easier for him to achieve his goals, he promotes the belief that he does not exist. And so when the subject of Satan's existence is brought up, there is going to be opposition from those who having been deceived by him and are unwittingly being used by him, will deny that he is a real being. But the Bible which is God's objective revelation to man, makes it clear that Satan does exist, and that he is not merely a symbol of evil.

Satan is the enemy of God and the enemy of man. Ephesians 6:18 tells us to pray in the Spirit and to be on the alert at all times. While most believers will never have a personal encounter with Satan, he influences and deceives the world by means of the cosmic system he has established as the ruler of this world. Prayer is a necessity in order to successfully resist the spiritual dark forces of this world system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 04:31 PM

7,556 posts, read 11,866,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Prayer is a necessity in order to successfully resist the spiritual dark forces of this world system.
When Jesus was confronted by Satan in the wilderness, what did He do to put him down?

"It is written."

Once again I submit, God has given us His word (both written and inspired) to hold the hill. If we agree with God that we have the victory, we'll see the enemy flee. We see this throughtout scripture, that we are victorious, we are healed, we are more than conquerors, etc - then faith is alive and working.

The enemy hates faith. As it is in natural battle - it's easier to hold a position than it is to take ground from your enemy. It's finished, now rest in that fact. I'm not belittling Satan, but I'm certainly saying that our God is Lord of him, too.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 PM

21,607 posts, read 16,590,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
When Jesus was confronted by Satan in the wilderness, what did He do to put him down?

"It is written."

Once again I submit, God has given us His word (both written and inspired) to hold the hill. If we agree with God that we have the victory, we'll see the enemy flee. We see this throughtout scripture, that we are victorious, we are healed, we are more than conquerors, etc - then faith is alive and working.

The enemy hates faith. As it is in natural battle - it's easier to hold a position than it is to take ground from your enemy. It's finished, now rest in that fact. I'm not belittling Satan, but I'm certainly saying that our God is Lord of him, too.
Here's the thing. The believer is to take the offensive in his spiritual life and advance spiritually to the high ground of spiritual maturity. But when it comes to Satan the believer is not to take the offensive against him, but to take a defensive stand. Yes, Jesus quoted the Word when tempted by Satan. I have pointed that out a number of times on this forum. But Jesus certainly was constantly praying during His temptations in the wilderness, of which only three are mentioned. He was under constant temptation during those forty days. Prayer certainly has a part in resisting temptation whether the source of that temptation be from the world, or from the old sin nature, or from Satan. Or to put it another way, from the world, the flesh, or the devil.
Matthew 26:41 ''Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.''
It is likely that Jesus had more in mind then merely resisting the temptation to go to sleep. He had already spoken of the disciples spiritual defection that night, and that should have served as a call to prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or