U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:54 PM

535 posts, read 761,107 times

Advertisements

In scanning through the Christianity forum postings I find very few threads and posts that deal with prayer. The Bible is full of verses about prayer. Walk into any mass or service and you will find people praying. Why aren’t we talking about it?

I found the following online.

The Importance of Prayer - Colossians 1:9,10 if it doesn’t send a chill up and down your spine I don’t know what will.

Jay Kesler, the former President of Youth for Christ and the current President of Taylor University, was on one of his frequent flights. When lunch was served the young man next to him declined a lunch tray.
[font=Verdana]During the whole lunchtime this man sat with his head bowed, apparently in [font=Verdana]prayer.Moderator cut: edit

leaders of the Christian world will fall. We pray that they will fall into sexual sin, and that their family life would crumble."

R. A. Torrey the great American evangelist, pastor, preacher, teacher and writer wrote in How To Pray, Chapter 1 The Importance of Prayer,

How To Pray - Christian Classics Ethereal Library
But why is this constant, persistent, sleepless, overcoming prayer so needful?
[font=Verdana]First of all, BECAUSE THERE IS A DEVIL.He is cunning, he is mighty, he never rests, he is ever plotting the downfall of the child of God; and if the child of God relaxes in prayer, the devil will succeed in ensnaring him. [font=Verdana]This is the thought of the context. The 12th verse [Ephesions 6] reads: "For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (R.V.) Moderator cut: edit

Of 11 reasons for prayer R.A. Torrey cites, this is number 1. I repeat THIS IS #1. I read post after post, thread after thread claiming there is no devil, there are no demons. Ladies and gentlemen, that is exactly what Satan wants you to believe. I don’t know where it came from other than the father of all lies himself-the devil-but I see more threads and posts on this Christianity forum stating as if it were some scientifically proven fact that there are no demons and no Satan. You’re being played by the master of deception.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-28-2013 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Re-formatted to adhere to CD's copyright rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
There's a train of thought that is consistent with Scripture - should we go to the Lord for things or has He instructed us to say to this mountain "be ye removed..."?

Moses asked God what to do, and the Lord said "Mo, you've got a rod- use it."

Old 10-28-2013, 06:24 PM

535 posts, read 761,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
There's a train of thought that is consistent with Scripture - should we go to the Lord for things or has He instructed us to say to this mountain "be ye removed..."?

Moses asked God what to do, and the Lord said "Mo, you've got a rod- use it."
little elmer, would you expound on that a little? I'm a tad bit confused. Thanks, Little Elm inhabitant.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 PM

23,263 posts, read 12,056,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
In scanning through the Christianity forum postings I find very few threads and posts that deal with prayer. The Bible is full of verses about prayer. Walk into any mass or service and you will find people praying. Why arenít we talking about it?

The Importance of Prayer - Colossians 1:9,10 if it doesnít send a chill up and down your spine I donít know what will.

Jay Kesler, the former President of Youth for Christ and the current President of Taylor University, was on one of his frequent flights. When lunch was served the young man next to him declined a lunch tray.
During the whole lunchtime this man sat with his head bowed, apparently in prayer. Kesler was impressed (and maybe a little humbled) by the man's devotion. He commented to the young man that he wondered if he was a Christian because it appeared that he was fasting. The young man replied with words that shook Kelser to the core of his being. "I am a Satan worshiper and the members of my church have agreed to fast every Friday at noon. During that time we pray that the
leaders of the Christian world will fall. We pray that they will fall into sexual sin, and that their family life would crumble."

R. A. Torrey the great American evangelist, pastor, preacher, teacher and writer wrote in How To Pray, Chapter 1 The Importance of Prayer,

First of all, BECAUSE THERE IS A DEVIL.He is cunning, he is mighty, he never rests, he is ever plotting the downfall of the child of God; and if the child of God relaxes in prayer, the devil will succeed in ensnaring him. This is the thought of the context. The 12th verse [Ephesions 6] reads: "For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (R.V.) Then comes the 13th verse: "Wherefore take up the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and, having done all, to stand." (R.V.) Next follows a description of the different parts of the Christianís armor, which we are to put on if we are to stand against the devil and his mighty wiles. Then Paul brings all to a climax in the 18th verse, telling us that to all else we must add prayeróconstant, persistent, untiring, sleepless prayer in the Holy Spirit, or all else will go for nothing.

Of 11 reasons for prayer R.A. Torrey cites, this is number 1. I repeat THIS IS #1. I read post after post, thread after thread claiming there is no devil, there are no demons. Ladies and gentlemen, that is exactly what Satan wants you to believe. I donít know where it came from other than the father of all lies himself-the devil-but I see more threads and posts on this Christianity forum stating as if it were some scientifically proven fact that there are no demons and no Satan. Youíre being played by the master of deception.

I must say I find the above to be - and I'm being gentle - a bit silly.

The only devil that exists is the part of you that is greedy/needy/manipulative/angry/demanding/selfish. Blaming some outside force may be convenient, and make it somewhat easier to ameliorate your own culpability, but it doesn't add any truth to the equation.

You choose your path from the often-myriad options presented by life, and your own previous choices. We are often presented with choices. Some come with costs. Some with rewards.

All with lessons.

But it is our choices which determine most* outcomes.

* Yeah, gotta leave some space for chance/serendipity/chaos/mood swings....

Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 PM

4,221 posts, read 1,963,196 times
The Lord knows what you need. Seek and you shall find, ask and you will receive, knock and the door will open.

Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and these things will be given to you as well.

Jesus said "Behold I am with you always even until the end of the age."

Is He saying He, Jesus is with you or the truth is with you? I find it is the truth that opens the door, that leads you to find and lets you receive.

The truth the word of God is what God wants to hear. Pray the truth and walk in the light of the Lord.

The OT Prophets and the words of Jesus will set you free, the truth.

The Lord says;

"Speak the truth yo one another"

Father your word is truth.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
little elmer, would you expound on that a little? I'm a tad bit confused. Thanks, Little Elm inhabitant.
Okey dokey...

Proverbs says life and death are in the power of the tongue. James says the tongue is the rudder that steers the ship (your life). That blessing and cursing come from it. Jesus said whatsoever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven and so on.

The point is, we were created in His image; God spoke the world into existence, and He would have us speak ours as well. Let the redeemed of the Lord say so.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 11 days ago)

13,367 posts, read 11,875,084 times
I don't find a need to pray a lot. I do believe, however, in the necessity of living in the constant presence of the Lord. To be aware of him constantly and to live your life in accordance with his teachings. But I find that prayer is really inadequate. What words can give justice to the immeasurable love that I have for God? To say "God you are awesome and I love you and appreciate all you have done for me" says it all and does not require unceasing prayer. I also don't feel comfortable asking God for things. He knows my needs and it is His prerogative to fill them as he sees fit.

As for the Devil,Moderator cut: delete well if he thinks he can tear me away from God, he's barking up the wrong tree!

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-30-2013 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language for this forum

Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 AM

I'm also thinking how Peter simply said, "What I do have I give to you...". No mention of him having to ask for anything from the Lord; it was already his to draw from. And when Jesus sent the men out to preach, heal, cast out demons, etc. It was all in His name through faith.

We certainly go to the Lord for our righteousness, but don't you think that there's a parallel with the children of Israel- He's given us the land to possess it?

Old 10-29-2013, 04:33 PM

8,825 posts, read 6,296,268 times
Quote:
In scanning through the Christianity forum postings I find very few threads and posts that deal with prayer. The Bible is full of verses about prayer. Walk into any mass or service and you will find people praying. Why arenít we talking about it?

The Importance of Prayer - Colossians 1:9,10 if it doesnít send a chill up and down your spine I donít know what will.

[font=Verdana]During the whole lunchtime this man sat with his head bowed, apparently in [font=Verdana]prayer.Moderator cut: edit

[font=Verdana]First of all, BECAUSE THERE IS A DEVIL.He is cunning, he is mighty, he never rests, he is ever plotting the downfall of the child of God; and if the child of God relaxes in prayer, the devil will succeed in ensnaring him. [font=Verdana]This is the thought of the context. The 12th verse [Ephesions 6] reads: "For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (R.V.) Moderator cut: edit

Of 11 reasons for prayer R.A. Torrey cites, this is number 1. I repeat THIS IS #1. I read post after post, thread after thread claiming there is no devil, there are no demons. Ladies and gentlemen, that is exactly what Satan wants you to believe. I donít know where it came from other than the father of all lies himself-the devil-but I see more threads and posts on this Christianity forum stating as if it were some scientifically proven fact that there are no demons and no Satan. Youíre being played by the master of deception.

Priscila:

There is no devil. There are no demons that manipulate people into doing evil. The evil comes from within.

You want to know what evil is?

Evil is well represented by the person or persons that created a fictitious character named Mary Ann Collins (a so-called former nun) and then wrote dozens of anti-Catholic books spewing HATE against Catholics.

That is what EVIL is all about. It is that inner force that makes people do bad things to others. It is that inner force that makes people HATE others for simply being different.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM

23,263 posts, read 12,056,137 times
Prayer is fine. Prayer + Deeds increases your odds of a happy outcome. Ask for what you need. But don't keep waiting for a different answer if the recurring one happens to be: increase your education/skills/effort. We need to be our own catalysts for change - self-motivating. Don't let life happen. Happen to life. PS- I hope they fix the formatting problems they've been plagued with here, soon. Apologies if they have not and you're reading one, increasingly fat paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or