U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 AM

21,895 posts, read 16,711,964 times

Advertisements

On another one of my threads, a poster made the following comment. ''Our God is not a God of rewards and punishments of any kind . . . differing levels notwithstanding. Our Spirits have consequences based on what we sow . . . but they are neither rewards nor punishments GIVEN by God. They just ARE.'' Because of that statement I decided to start this thread and show that the Bible has quite a bit to say concerning the fact that the faithful believer will be rewarded for his faithfulness in serving God in this life. In both the Millennial kingdom and throughout the eternal future the believer will have rewards, rulership responsibilities, and privileges based upon faithful service in this life. I hope everyone will take the time to read this post.

The Bible quite clearly states that God does reward and that some will receive more rewards than others. Let's see what Jesus said.
Matthew 6:1 ''Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.''

Matthew 6:3 ''But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4] so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.''

Matthew 6:6 ''But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.''

Matthew 6:17 ''Whenever you fast, anoint your head and wash your face 18] so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

Matthew 6:19 ''Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20] But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; 21] for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.''

Matthew 16:27 ''For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds.

Revelation 22:12 ''Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done.
Rulership responsibilities in the Millennial kingdom and in eternity future are one of the rewards that the faithful believer will be given. Some will have greater rulership responsibilities than others. Jesus speaks of this in His parable of the ten minas. This parable illustrates that Jesus will reward the faithful according to their service to Him, and that His enemies (those who reject Him) will be judged before Him.
Luke 19:11 While they were listening to these things, Jesus went on to tell a parable, because He was near Jerusalem, and they supposed that the kingdom of God was going to appear immediately. 12] So He said, '' A nobleman went to a distant country to receive a kingdom for himself, and then return. 13] ''And he called ten of his slaves, and gave them ten minas and said to them, 'Do business with this until I come back.' 14] ''But his citizens hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, 'We do not want this man to reign over us.' 15] ''When he returned, after receiving the kingdom, he ordered that these slaves, to whom he had given the money, be called to him so that he might know what business they had done. 16] ''The first appeared, saying, 'Master, your mina has made ten minas more.' 17] ''And he said to him, ''Well done, good slave, because you have been faithful in a very little thing, you are to be in authority over ten cities.' 18] ''The second came, saying, 'Your mina, master, has made five minas.' 19] ''And he said to him also, 'And you are to be over five cities.' 20] ''Another came, saying, 'Master, here is your mina, which I kept put away in a handkerchief; 21] for I was afraid of you, because you are an exacting man, you take up what you did not lay down and reap what you did not sow.' 22] ''He said to him, 'By your own words I will judge you, you worthless slave. Did you know that I am an exacting man, taking up what I did not lay down and reaping what I did not sow? 23] 'Then why did you not put my money in the bank, and having come, I would have collected it with interest?' 24] ''Then he said to the bystanders, 'Take the mina away from him and give it to the one who has the ten minas.' 25] 'And they said to him, 'Master, he has ten minas already.' 26] ''I tell you that to everyone who has, more shall be given, but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. 27] ''But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence.''
The faithful believer will receive his rewards at the judgment seat of Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
The 'bad' refers not to sins, for all sin was judged at the Cross. The 'bad' refers to works which while humanly good, are works that were done in the energy of the flesh instead of under the power of the Holy Spirit and are therefore rejected by God as human good which is not acceptable to Him. Such works are referred to in 1 Corinthians 3:12 as 'wood, hay, and straw'.

1 Corinthians 3:11-15 contrasts the believer's works which will be burned up, and the works for which he will receive a reward.
1 Corinthians 3:11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12] Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13] each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. 14] If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15] If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
We as believers are urged to be careful not to miss out on a full reward.
2 John 8 Watch yourselves, that you do not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward.

Revelation 3:11 'I am coming quickly; hold fast what you have, so that no one will take your crown.
There are five different crowns which a believer can potentially receive.
1) The crown of glory is for faithful undershepherds. 1 Peter 5:4

2) The crown of Rejoicing is for soul winners. 1 Thessalonians 2:19

3) The Incorruptible crown is awarded for living a disciplined life as outlined by the word of God for the believer. 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

4) The crown of righteousness is for those who have loved his appearing. 2 Timothy 4:8

5) The crown of Life is for those who love the Lord and persevere under pressure. James 1:12; Revelation 2:10
For those who have crowns, how joyous it will be to cast them before the throne of the Lord.

While we should be motivated to serve the Lord out of love for Him, God does reward us for that faithful service. We should all desire to be able to say with Paul.
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord , the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing. (2 Timothy 4:7-8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM

668 posts, read 570,994 times
Mike what is really happening is you are basing what you believe upon what God has revealed to us about Himself and our future. Some people disregard what God has to say and choose to believe God must do things the way they want them. It's a sad state for someone to be in.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
Mike what is really happening is you are basing what you believe upon what God has revealed to us about Himself and our future. Some people disregard what God has to say and choose to believe God must do things the way they want them. It's a sad state for someone to be in.
I agree that it is sad, and even tragic, when in cognizance of what God has revealed in His Word, that revelation is nevertheless ignored in favor of one's personal opinions. And some people will always place a higher value their personal opinions than on the Scriptures. Still, it is a good thing to point out what the Bible teaches. In the case of this thread, what the Bible teaches concerning the fact that God rewards faithfulness in service to Him.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:36 PM

Despite 2 John 2:8 which is mentioned in the OP and which speaks of being able to receive a full reward, which means that the possibility exists of receiving less than a full reward, and despite the parable of the ten minas, also mentioned in the OP and which speaks of reward regarding rulership over cities, one man would be ruler over ten cities while another would rule over five cities, and another would rule over nothing, there are some, who looking at the parable of the laborers in the vineyard in Matthew 20:1-16 might still conclude that everyone receives the same reward. But that is not what the parable of the laborers is teaching. Here is the parable.
Matthew 20:1 ''For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. 2] ''When he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius for the day, he sent them into his vineyard. 3] ''And he went out about the third hour and saw others standing idle in the market place; 4] and to those he said, 'You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you. And so they went. 5] ''Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did the same thing. 6] ''And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing around; and he said to them, 'Why have you been standing here idle all day long?' 7] ''They said to him, 'Because no one hired us.' He said to them, 'You go into the vineyard too.' 8] ''When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last group to the first.' 9] ''When those hired about the eleventh hour came, each one received a denarius. 10] ''When those hired first came, they thought that they would receive more; but each of them also received a denarius. 11] ''When they received it, they grumbled at the landowner, 12] saying, 'These last men have worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the scorching heat of the day.' 13] ''But he answered and said to one of them, 'Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14] 'Take what is yours and go, but I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. 15 'Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with what is my own? Or is your eye envious because I am generous?' 16] ''So the last shall be first, and the first last.''
The parable of the laborers in the vineyard is not teaching that everyone in the kingdom will receive the same reward. If it were, then it would be contradicting the parable of the ten minas which teaches that in the kingdom, some will have greater rulership responsibilities than others, and some will have none at all.

What this parable in Matthew 20:1-16 is teaching is that rewards in the kingdom depend upon God's sovereign grace. Immediately before beginning the parable Jesus says to the disciples in Matthew 19:30,
Matthew 19:30 ''But many who are first (now, in this life) will be last; and the last, first (in the kingdom).
And this is how the parable ends in Matthew 20:16.
Matthew 20:16 ''So the last shall be first, and the first last.''
Since in the kingdom some will be first, and some will be last, then obviously this parable is not talking about equality in the kingdom.

Concerning the parable, The Bible Knowledge Commentary says,
By this illustration, Jesus was teaching that the matter of rewards is under the sovereign control of God, the ''Landowner'' in the parable. God is the One before whom all accounts will be settled. Many who have prominent places will someday find themselves demoted. And many who often find themselves at the end of the line will find themselves promoted to the head of the line; The last will be first, and the first will be last. (This supports what Jesus had said in 19:28-30.) In the final accounting, the Lord's analysis will carry the greatest and only important weight. [The Bible Knowledge Commentary, New Testament, An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty, p. 66]
Far from teaching equality of rewards in the kingdom, this parable in Matthew 20:1-16 teaches that some who are first in this life will be last in the kingdom, while some who are last in this life will be first in the kingdom. God rewards each believer according to his faithfulness and spiritual production in this life.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM

20,421 posts, read 9,840,546 times
Literally or figuratively?

Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 PM

Will your wages; pay or salary, be greater because you committed to work all day?

Old 10-30-2013, 05:08 AM

183 posts, read 140,491 times
No, we are not all equal, some are simply cast out while others are rewarded.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 AM

13,574 posts, read 21,726,369 times
Moderator cut: cut

Good morning fellow posters. Several delete's in this first page of a thread on "REWARDS" not eternal punishment and not on provoking a flame war.
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Literally or figuratively?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Will your wages; pay or salary, be greater because you committed to work all day?
You appear to be denying the imputation of Christís righteousness?
Now, you are going to earn a crown of righteousness?

Isnít this hypocritical, predicated on your theology?
Or should we get busy, working our way to a better deal in heaven?

"A rewards member, who imposes guilt trips through pride of ownership."

Old 10-30-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

Good morning fellow posters. Several delete's in this first page of a thread on "REWARDS" not eternal punishment and not on provoking a flame war.
misthos: wages, hire
Original Word: μισθός, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: misthos
Phonetic Spelling: (mis-thos')
Short Definition: wages, reward
Definition: (a) pay, wages, salary, (b)reward, recompense, punishment.

My apologies to the mod(s) and forum member(s).
But it appears to me, that if you are going to utilize a word?
Then, it should encompass the entire meaning of that word?

Unless of course, we are selectively using it for our own purpose(s)?
Just a humble opinion, although I am not a big fan of Strong's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or