U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Chicago Area
8,036 posts, read 4,202,065 times
Reputation: 3039

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Another Side of Catholicism: Insights from a Former Catholic Nun: Mary Ann Collins: 9780595319558: Amazon.com: Books

Can anyone prove that there is an actual woman named Mary Ann Collins?

Have anyone seen Mary Ann Collins?

Any live interviews?

Any photos?

Thank You
I've always had a tremendous dislike for religion bashing of any kind. I suppose I'd have to read her stuff a bit to get a real sense of her religious background. In general, what I've noticed is that those who came from a specific religion tend to have a certain tone ... for lack of a better word.

For example, I find it highly unlikely that the atheist and author Phillip Pullman has anything other than Catholicism in his religious background. He definitely comes across as a disillusioned Catholic and deconstructs (bashes) Christianity and all notions of the existence of God through a very Catholic lens. His approach to attacking Christianity would make very little sense to any non-Catholic Christian.

A life-long Protestant bashing Catholicism tends to have a very familiar tone as well. I found some of her stuff online and the tone of it is very much that of a lifelong Protestant bashing Catholicism. I'd have to read a lot more to be certain, but I would at least expect better familiarity with Catholicism than what I'm seeing so far. You would also expect to see something along the lines of, "I used to accept this teaching but one day realized it was false" Followed by a detailed description of her paradigm shifting experience. I'm not seeing much of that. There is no way to be 100% sure, but to me she doesn't come across as a former Catholic at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2013, 09:56 AM
 
415 posts, read 626,643 times
Reputation: 542
did you see the Bishop of bling in Germany on the news, the Pope is calling him on the carpet... he has been having 50 million dollars work done on his house and flys first class....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM
 
19,950 posts, read 13,631,972 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Vizio:

This is what I call EVIL and this EVIL is within the people behind this. This is all done with the purpose of trying to damage others. If there is no Nun this is a blatant lie. Why create a fictitious personality, a so-called ex-Nun-----to attack Catholics? The only reason to do this is to try to have more credibility by lying. That is EVIL to the marrow.

And this EVIL needed no help from Satan because there is no Satan. This is the evil side of humans. And humans that believe in Jesus are not immune from this.
Do you KNOW the writer wasnt a nun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM
 
9,798 posts, read 6,731,943 times
Reputation: 2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I've always had a tremendous dislike for religion bashing of any kind. I suppose I'd have to read her stuff a bit to get a real sense of her religious background. In general, what I've noticed is that those who came from a specific religion tend to have a certain tone ... for lack of a better word.

For example, I find it highly unlikely that the atheist and author Phillip Pullman has anything other than Catholicism in his religious background. He definitely comes across as a disillusioned Catholic and deconstructs (bashes) Christianity and all notions of the existence of God through a very Catholic lens. His approach to attacking Christianity would make very little sense to any non-Catholic Christian.

A life-long Protestant bashing Catholicism tends to have a very familiar tone as well. I found some of her stuff online and the tone of it is very much that of a lifelong Protestant bashing Catholicism. I'd have to read a lot more to be certain, but I would at least expect better familiarity with Catholicism than what I'm seeing so far. You would also expect to see something along the lines of, "I used to accept this teaching but one day realized it was false" Followed by a detailed description of her paradigm shifting experience. I'm not seeing much of that. There is no way to be 100% sure, but to me she doesn't come across as a former Catholic at all.
My wife used to be a Presbyterian. I used to go to her church and when we got married she decided to convert because she felt the Catholic Church was more sacred. However, she would never bash her former religion.


Atheists have a hard time disproving the existence of God and therefore the target religion which is something completely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 AM
 
9,798 posts, read 6,731,943 times
Reputation: 2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you KNOW the writer wasnt a nun?
This is one of her many anti-catholic books:

Is Catholicism Biblical?: A Former Nun Looks At The Evidence: Mary Ann Collins: 9781453861059: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 11:28 AM
 
400 posts, read 452,437 times
Reputation: 50
Unusual study asks former Catholics why they left church | National Catholic Reporter

My own personal experience is said here,
Since Vatican II 100,000 Priest[s] Have Left The Priesthood http://www.churchmilitant.tv/cia/05rebellion/14.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,960 posts, read 22,122,586 times
Reputation: 10700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The allegations have to do with the same silly arguments of idolatry, Saints, Virgin Mary, celibacy, the Eucharist, "it is not in the Bible", etc--------same old stuff. It is basically putting down another religion. It would be like you and me saying the Mormons are a bunch of "loonies" because of their belief system.

Then, by using a fictitious character there can be lying about many other things. If the ex Nun says she was raped by a Priest then the words become very powerful. This is simply extremely poor form and some people buy into this stuff.
I put about as much stock in stuff like this as I do in books written by ex-Mormons. There is no one more "anti" than an "ex," and you're always going to get more sensationalism than truth from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 12:42 PM
 
9,798 posts, read 6,731,943 times
Reputation: 2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I put about as much stock in stuff like this as I do in books written by ex-Mormons. There is no one more "anti" than an "ex," and you're always going to get more sensationalism than truth from them.
My wife who has been both Protestant and Catholic has lost of admiration for other religions. She has no issues with Judaism or Muslims. And I agree with her!

I would love to see the Mormon Temple in DC, but only certain members of the Church are allowed. However, they have a very nice reception area and an amazing Christmas light display every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM
 
19,950 posts, read 13,631,972 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
What's your point? I asked you if you knew she wasn't a nun. Do you?

You posted earlier about how great Scott Hahn was. His bio says he was a protestant pastor. Should I now begin to question that, and accuse him of making it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2013, 01:07 PM
 
9,798 posts, read 6,731,943 times
Reputation: 2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What's your point? I asked you if you knew she wasn't a nun. Do you?

You posted earlier about how great Scott Hahn was. His bio says he was a protestant pastor. Should I now begin to question that, and accuse him of making it up?
Vizio:

You are being disingenuous on purpose which is a debating tactic that rarely works.

It is very easy to find out Scott Hahn is a real person and a true man of God.

OTOH, this woman does not exist. It is OK to use a pseudonym, but the kicker is that they say she is a former nun and that is a lie. I have no problems if they use that name, but saying she is a former nun is deceitful and rather devilish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top