U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:43 AM

9,775 posts, read 6,729,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
The Bible was written by people that had a different concept of god. They were rooted in mythological ancient illogical principles and had no other way to communicate their message.

The passages that you quote seriously diminish God. If there is a Good that is ALL good and a Satan that is ALL evil we are severely diminishing God.

God cannot have anything against him. God is well above all that! God has no limits! God is everything!

This was the essence of the writings of Augustine and Saint Thomas of Aquinas two of the greatest philosophers and theologians that ever lived. And these folks got it right in the 4th and the 13th century.

It is a shame that today in the 21st century we still have people that are stuck in the time where there was no reason.

Satan is merely a symbol. No one denies EVIL, but EVIL is within us and Satan is just the symbolic representation of this EVIL. Guys, this is not rocket science.

Do not take the Bible literally. Learn to ascertain when ht passage is simply allegory.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-31-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 AM

9,526 posts, read 9,412,026 times
Although there is still some anti-Catholicism from the traditional Protestant sources, I think the strongest anti-Catholicism now comes from people with no religion, and from people who claim to be Catholic but want to remake the Church into their own image - one that is not more "Bible-believing", but one where their consciences reign supreme.

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 10-31-2013 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
It is so hard not to scoff at this ..... that shows just how little you know the Bible or what is taught in it.
fyi .... there is no such books as (Abraham 3:27), (Moses 4:1) in the Bible.
Dude, I paid no attention to your quotes. And I give zero credibility to the OT because it was written by barbarians.

You know the verses, but you do not know in which circumstances these verses were written.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:22 AM

9,526 posts, read 9,412,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Dude, I paid no attention to your quotes. And I give zero credibility to the OT because it was written by barbarians.

You know the verses, but you do not know in which circumstances these verses were written.

Catholics should pay attention to the Old Testament. That is why at least one passage from the Old Testament and the Psalms are read at every Mass! How can you in good conscience call yourself a Catholic and disregard the Old Testament?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Catholics should pay attention to the Old Testament. That is why at least one passage from the Old Testament and the Psalms are read at every Mass! How can you in good conscience call yourself a Catholic and disregard the Old Testament?
Yes, you are correct. One passage form the OT is read and one psalm is done singing. However, they carefully exclude the parts of the OT that make absolutely no sense. I do not deny some parts of the OT are useful for worship. But, other parts should be removed.

Quote:
The problem with the Old and New Testaments is that they are dated pieces of literature that reflect the values and mores of those who wrote them between 1000 BCE and 135 CE.

Many passages in the Old Testament reflect a tribal mentality that portrays God as hating everyone the people of Israel hated. It also portrays God as killing the firstborn male in every household in Egypt on the night of the Passover; justifies the institution of slavery (except for fellow Jews) and defines women as the property of men.

Note that even the Ten Commandments exhort us “not to covet our neighbor’s house, his wife, his slaves, his ox, his ass, etc.” The neighbor is clearly a male, and the things we are forbidden to covet are all male possessions.

Quote:
We mistakenly tribalize God, we believe he shows favoritism to our group and opposes other groups whom we oppose. God is reduced to a tribal deity. The origin of this tribalism is the Old Testament, the Jewish perception of God. God supported the Jews and opposed the Egyptians, etc. God had a special relationship with Jewish figures, Abraham, Moses, Noah, etc and a contemptuous relationship with others. The special relations expressed by the Jews has been adopted by today’s Christians, every Christian faith believes that they are special to God. Our act to confine and define God is contrary to God’s true nature, indefinable, not limited to a context. We dwell on what God is not and it becomes our truth.

Please read the above. This is exactly how I feel about the OT and some Christians that feel they are the selected ones.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 AM

11,826 posts, read 10,169,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Yes, you are correct. One passage form the OT is read and one psalm is done singing. However, they carefully exclude the parts of the OT that make absolutely no sense. I do not deny some parts of the OT are useful for worship. But, other parts should be removed.

Please read the above. This is exactly how I feel about the OT and some Christians that feel they are the selected ones.
like you who feel they are the selected ones
  • ... who declares that everyone is Catholic
  • ... who declares the true church is founded on Catholicism
  • .... who feels qualified what parts of the OT should be removed
......... Dude

Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Although there is still some anti-Catholicism from the traditional Protestant sources, I think the strongest anti-Catholicism now comes from people with no religion, and from people who claim to be Catholic but want to remake the Church into their own image - one that is not more "Bible-believing", but one where their consciences reign supreme.
It is not anticatholicism. I think it means one does not check the brain out when going to mass. But, there is another way to handle these discrepancies. I accept then as the traditions (small t) of men that lived thousands of years ago. I know why they wrote the bible with the concept of Satan versus God or evil versus good.

I can see why the Jews felt they were the chosen people. No different than modern day fundamentalists that believe they are also the chosen people as long as they follow the bible to the letter. BTW, the Muslims also feel they are the chosen people.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
like you who feel they are the selected ones
  • ... who declares that everyone is Catholic
  • ... who declares the true church is founded on Catholicism
  • .... who feels qualified what parts of the OT should be removed
......... Dude
The CC can easily do this. They could have another council and remove books or verses from the OT. The CC is guided by the Holy Spirit and was founded by Jesus. So, yes they could do this if they wished to do so, but I doubt they will.

And yes, the Catholic folks also feel they are the chosen ones because of Matthew 16:16-18.

However, I believe no one is favored or "chosen people". Religion is imperfect, whether Catholic or Protestant.

God is one thing and religion is something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or