Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM

485 posts, read 878,634 times

Advertisements

I have often wondered (as a Christian living in the U.S.) how one becomes officially married. I used to just assume you got a marriage license and had a ceremony by someone legally able to do so. This is intriguing to me as the U.S. has only been a country for a couple hundred years yet the Bible's teaching existed long before. Who's to say that a man and woman who decide to live together and maintain an exclusive relationship aren't married (besides the U.S. government)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,271,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I have often wondered (as a Christian living in the U.S.) how one becomes officially married. I used to just assume you got a marriage license and had a ceremony by someone legally able to do so. This is intriguing to me as the U.S. has only been a country for a couple hundred years yet the Bible's teaching existed long before. Who's to say that a man and woman who decide to live together and maintain an exclusive relationship aren't married (besides the U.S. government)?
Marriage is a sacrament.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,841,168 times
Nothing in the Bible says marriage is a sacrament. Rome's lies again. IMHO, a government issued license is not absolutely necessary for a couple to be considered married in God's eyes, neither is it necessary for a Christian minister to bless it. What is expected for Christians is that this declaration of marriage be public, and that the man and woman commit themselves to life long permanent marriage in front of witnesses. A secret marriage is not sufficient to prevent one of the couple from reneging and denying such a commitment was made. Unfortunately, people could take advantage of the other party with a secret marriage. After that declaration they are then husband and wife. They and everyone else can and should treat them as married persons.

I will add it is best, if possible for Christians to follow the law, as God does expect us to follow the laws of the land that God has placed us in. Rom. 13.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
IMHO, a government issued license is not absolutely necessary for a couple to be considered married in God's eyes, neither is it necessary for a Christian minister to bless it. What is expected for Christians is that this declaration of marriage be public, and that the man and woman commit themselves to life long permanent marriage in front of witnesses.
Is that biblical?

CAn you cite a verse?

Thanks

Old 10-29-2013, 07:33 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,575,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Marriage is a sacrament.
Sorry not a sacrament nor is marriage between only a male and female biblical. As to the other comment, I believe that marriage is not a church institution. Civil marriage is no different in the eyes of the government than a church marriage. What differs is the blessing before God - don't want it, okay but you are still married (if you have a service). In some places, like Canada we have common-law marriage; live together for X period of time and you are the equivalent of married in the eyes of the government.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Sorry not a sacrament nor is marriage between only a male and female biblical. As to the other comment, I believe that marriage is not a church institution. Civil marriage is no different in the eyes of the government than a church marriage. What differs is the blessing before God - don't want it, okay but you are still married (if you have a service). In some places, like Canada we have common-law marriage; live together for X period of time and you are the equivalent of married in the eyes of the government.
If you are Catholic marriage is a sacrament.

If you are not Catholic then marriage is whatever you want marriage to be.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 PM

183 posts, read 191,585 times
Hebrews 13:4 Give honor to marriage, and remain faithful to one another in marriage. God will surely judge people who are immoral and those who commit adultery.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
Hebrews 13:4 Give honor to marriage, and remain faithful to one another in marriage. God will surely judge people who are immoral and those who commit adultery.
I realize this. I'm wondering if anyone has Biblical verses or interpretation of how one goes about becoming married as God sees fit.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 PM

183 posts, read 191,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I realize this. I'm wondering if anyone has Biblical verses or interpretation of how one goes about becoming married as God sees fit.
The Hebrew marriage cerimony is the likeness of the marriage cerimony of Christ and his Bride (yet to come). I have never been to a Hebrew cerimony and have no experience to share. Had I to get married again I would consult a rabbi. Would I ever step foot in a church again? No, but I would have a cerimony and I would likely choose a messianic rabbi. Dont' believe the bible ignorant BS posted above regarding shacking up or pretending to be married, you'll pay a price for that.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
The Hebrew marriage cerimony is the likeness of the marriage cerimony of Christ and his Bride (yet to come). I have never been to a Hebrew cerimony and have no experience to share. Had I to get married again I would consult a rabbi. Would I ever step foot in a church again? No, but I would have a cerimony and I would likely choose a messianic rabbi. Dont' believe the bible ignorant BS posted above regarding shacking up or pretending to be married, you'll pay a price for that.
The Bible is ignorant? Did you not just quote it earlier?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity