U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 PM

6,847 posts, read 7,917,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Personally I'd prefer not to check my brain at the door.
But sadly, this is what Bible literalists do every day of their lives.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,778,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
angry to say the least (for sure)

angrier at most pastors in america who dont have the spine to denounce

the greed gospel aka the prosperity gospel

aka the word of faith name-it and claim it movement
Shouldn't individuals have enough common sense to know better than to try to buy and sell the truth? People who sit and watch that stuff are willingly deceived. Not that that makes the hucksters right. It is pretty incredible to me that in 2012 there is still a supporting audience for "Christian" TV. How can people watch it and not see right through the "show".

Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 PM

11,305 posts, read 11,323,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Shouldn't individuals have enough common sense to know better than to try to buy and sell the truth? People who sit and watch that stuff are willingly deceived. Not that that makes the hucksters right. It is pretty incredible to me that in 2012 there is still a supporting audience for "Christian" TV. How can people watch it and not see right through the "show".

TBN's, Daystar's, God TV's---all these Christian channels' core audience is made up of poor, uneducated, uninformed "Christians" whose sole purpose in watching people like Chris Munson, Paula White, TJ Jakes, et al and throwing their hard earned pennies (those who have pennies) at them is to figure out the magic formula they believe these hucksters used to get rich. If they only knew all they have to do to get as rich as these guys is to act like them---get up on a platform, dance around, sweat like the devil and shout gleefully, "Oh I feel a powerful anointing of the Holy Spirit coming on me. I feel it. I FEEL IT!! I FEEL IT!!! Hallalujah!!!

That kind of stuff really works. Hitler knew the power of frenzied oratory. How do you think he and these Televangelists got as far as they did?

Interesting that you don't see any of this in Europe where the average intelligence quotient is about 40 points higher than that of an average American.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,883,064 times
Total
Blasphamy
Network.

It us a shame what they do.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:39 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,487,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Total
Blasphamy
Network.

It us a shame what they do.
I agree

btw last night a christian radio show took on TBN 's fleecing and their enablers. KUDOS to christian radio shows that take on the TBN and DAYSTAR shows.

quote:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/rapture...h-jackie-alnor

Next week is TBN's Praise-A-Thon - so Jackie looks at some of the shameful acts seen in past ones.

She also looks at the bold promises made to donors and how all their boastings fell flat.

Tonight's Praise the Lord program features the most popular of today's prophecy teachers - all shameless in their willingness to join hands with T (the) B (Baal) N(network) for the sake of expansion.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/rapture...h-jackie-alnor

Old 11-02-2013, 03:20 PM

32,375 posts, read 21,209,225 times
If TBN tweeted their message from give to us to give, there would be a probability that I might just tune in. In my opinion the biggest shysters are those fleecing the flock with end time ministries and the likes of Washer and MAcArthur fleecing the confidence of the weak and vulnerable Christians through their ministry of condemnation.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:24 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,883,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If TBN tweeted their message from give to us to give, there would be a probability that I might just tune in. In my opinion the biggest shysters are those fleecing the flock with end time ministries and the likes of Washer and MAcArthur fleecing the confidence of the weak and vulnerable Christians through their ministry of condemnation.
Especially the end time so called teachers is right. They always have the next book to sell that contains nothing new about the future. They are no different than Palm readers. Crazy sick lunatics.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:49 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,778,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Don't know Washer but can't stand to hear MAcArther - his tone of voice makes my skin crawl and he's so negative and always sowing seeds of condemnation into his listener's ears. I don't know how so many people can stand to subject themselves to his, as you rightly put it, ministry of condemnation.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:43 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,333,111 times
The mere fact that these hucksters are able to fleece only believers should tell you something. I seriously doubt any non believer would even tune into these programs.

The after all do what all believers do and use the same book to support their oration. It is not like they are using another holy book is it? They do exactly what one sees in evangelical type settings in smaller churches. People speak in tongues, they fall over when prayed for and so on. How is the smaller church experience any different? It is IMO simple showmanship to a greater or lesser degree.

In one of the churches here a pastor's car was stolen when his wife was somewhere writing exams. I had an old car whose engine had been overhauled and I gave it to him. He was ridiculed by the elders of that church that his wheels did not send out the right message. Another xian used car salesman gave him a sweet deal as a trade in on a BMW. He then had to take a real job to try and pay for it. His wife left him, he lost the car and someone else gave him a car which he still used for a long time. It was also very old. This is a church of no more than 500 members so to pretend it does not filter down to small gatherings is being dishonest. Even when he had my old car I used to give him money for gas regularly. Once he had to attend a funeral of his brother and I filled up the car and gave him money for the return trip. No one in his church gave him a cent. I was not a member of that church. He was one of the few that had humility and believed in his ministry. He just was not charismatic enough to start his own church and draw folk to it. He was the one relegated to hospital visits, prison visits, ministering to the elderly just so that the church had the claim that they did these things.

Smoke and mirrors.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:20 AM

13,581 posts, read 21,758,261 times
Closed for Mod review
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or