Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
2 Timothy 4:1
I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

Just what do you think your Jesus will judge you on? by what standard? Do you deny that he will judge you?
Do you get a free pass? are you someone special?

It's a serious question, what makes you different than the common heathen?
God has already judged the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
I don't bother with the pettiness of men and their controversies.

One is called to repentance, one is called to be righteous, one must be deemed righteous before the Father.

Jesus ain't your umbrella holder.
I've never heard that metaphor before. I'd be more inclined to think of Jesus as my UMBRELLA, not the holder.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:47 AM

183 posts, read 192,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I've never heard that metaphor before. I'd be more inclined to think of Jesus as my UMBRELLA, not the holder.

Most everyone here believes that Jesus' shed blood covers their sins, grace, like and umbrella. You folks have an umbrella for everything. Oh no, you don't have to repent, you don't have to recognize your sins, no legalism of any kind, no commandments, no ordinances, notta.
I'll just grab an umbrella.

You're going to be terribly disappointed.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:50 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Deuteronomy 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

The Deuteronomy text says it all. If someone dies without faith in Christ, then they will be punished for their own sins. They will not be able to blame their parents, claim the inexperience of youth or anything else to get out of their punishment.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:46 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Deuteronomy 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

The Deuteronomy text says it all. If someone dies without faith in Christ, then they will be punished for their own sins. They will not be able to blame their parents, claim the inexperience of youth or anything else to get out of their punishment.
In other words, there is a religious card that says, "you are no longer responsible for your own thoughts, deeds and actions?"

Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

nor will they be able to claim
  • "well I was one of those who never heard ... so be fair God"
  • "well, I once believed and despite me not remaining faithful to the very end, I still get to come into heaven anyway"
  • "so I preached a different gospel message, so what does it matter what I believe"

Old 10-31-2013, 06:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Scapegoatism – is the act or practice of assigning blame and failure to another, as to deflect attention or responsibility away from oneself.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:42 PM

670 posts, read 815,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
Most agree a person should be held responsible for the crimes they commit.

Is sin transference (scapegoating) correct today?
I like questions like this,
though I am sure most other Christians are going to rant about the blood of the lamb, the Crucifixion and how you need to take communion and believe what they believe to go to heaven, rather than addressing your question.

First I'll offer my feelings on the matter, In today's society it is wrong to push blame unto another, a guilty person should pay for their crimes and another person should not be forced to suffer in the guilty parties place, though some try to frame others, and in Politics they use this Scapegoat method of lies to protect themselves while making their opponents appear awful. A different type of Scapegoating but evil none the less. Back then it was not ok either. It is different when Money is involved if the crime warrants a fine which is payable we allow people to bailout others who can't afford it, but I disagree with that system I don't think bailouts should exists, criminals should have to sit in their cell, because rich persons can get away with almost any thing, but that is getting into a different topic.

Now I will give some Scriptural support for my rejection of the "Blood of the Lamb" doctrine.

"No one can redeem the life of another or give to God a ransom for them." - Psalm 49:7
"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." - Hosea 6:6

Now while I reject the validity of blood sacrifice as a means of atonement, I do however believe Jesus is the Messiah and I attempt to follow his teachings, so while some may attempt to brand me as a non-Christian, I am in fact a Christian.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Jesus is not our scapegoat and the idea of scapegoat is a travesty on the idea of justice. Jesus changed the basis for judgement from the law of sin and death to the condition of the heart. That's not a free ticket to do harm to others or self, but a way of living in community and reestablishing community when it is violated. Repentance and forgiveness is the basis of that reestablishment.
The biggest problem is the primitive notion that justice requires punishment. It does not. It requires a change of heart in the violator and reparation as far as possible. It requires recognition of that change by the victim(s) and forgiveness. (a very important word)

Old 11-01-2013, 03:49 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Scapegoating blood sacrifices are for those who desire to be outwardly clean. Faith in the knowledge of the width,depth, height and length of the God that he's always had for us that Jesus Christ left us in no doubt of by dying to prove it, cleanses our consciences to boldly approach the throne of grace and live effectively in this world in the knowledge that God is ever present with us, always hears us and always meets us.

It was always about love not blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity