Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:51 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,298,265 times

Advertisements

I am a middle aged Christian with moderate conservative views. I have not ever read the bible or dedicated myself to any Christian Church denomination.

For me, a person with general views of Christianity the options are confusing. I am looking for middle of the run type of church denomination to follow. Let me explain. For example, I read literature on Unitarian Universalist Church which appeared interesting but it was too liberal for me. On the flip side, Evangelicals are far to the right for me.

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 PM

183 posts, read 191,934 times
You are ahead of the game if your mind is not cluttered by man's BS.

Just read the bible, accept what is in front of you, take nothing away and add nothing to it.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:21 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,759,968 times
I can't help but, be a little skeptical of a claim to be a 'conservative Christian' who is looking for answers, but, almost proudly announces (?) that 'they have never, ever read the Bible, and have no commitment to any church or denomination.' What exactly do you believe makes you a 'Christian'? (It's not church or Bible reading, but, you got your information about Christ somewhere?)

I'm not trying to make judgments about your 'Christianity.' But, seeking answers about God from men and churches .... apart from God's Word, is like hanging a flashing neon sign around one's neck declaring, "I'm open to deception ... as long as it agrees with whatever I think."

-- You need to seek-out a church that strongly teaches and follows the Bible ... not a liberal or conservative agenda or even your own philosophy or beliefs. Then, verify their teachings in your own Bible ... asking plenty of questions.

Last edited by jghorton; 10-30-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 06:30 PM

183 posts, read 191,934 times
My entire family considers themselves Christian and have never read the bible, they believe the fables they have been taught and live like the heathens they are.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,298,265 times
Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I can't help but, be a little skeptical of a 'conservative Christian' who is looking for answers, but, almost proudly announces (?) that 'they have never, ever read the Bible, and have no commitment to any church or denomination.' What exactly do you believe makes one a 'Christian', and why do you believe it?

I'm not trying to make judgments about your 'Christianity.' But, seeking answers about God from men and churches .... apart from God's Word, is like hanging a flashing neon sign around one's neck declaring, "I'm open to deception ... as long as it agrees with whatever I think."
Maybe the moderate conservative approach is from an upbringing or associations. I dont understand the skepticism.

Even more, I did not proudly announce that I did not read the bible...where are the caps or exclamation points. I clearly said, excluding my typo's, that I conducted my own research and i was not enamored with evanglism or UU because the pendilum was too far to the right or left.

Based on your confrontational note, I should accept either the right or the left because there is no middle of the road demonination.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,759,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Maybe the moderate conservative approach is from an upbringing or associations. I dont understand the skepticism.

Even more, I did not proudly announce that I did not read the bible...where are the caps or exclamation points. I clearly said, excluding my typo's, that I conducted my own research and i was not enamored with evanglism or UU because the pendilum was too far to the right or left.

Based on your confrontational note, I should accept either the right or the left because there is no middle of the road denomination.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be confrontational ... and was still typing, while you were answering. As I stated in my last paragraph:

-- "You need to seek-out a church that strongly teaches and follows the Bible ... not a liberal or conservative agenda or even your own philosophy or beliefs. Then, verify their teachings in your own Bible ... asking plenty of questions."

Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 PM

794 posts, read 842,572 times
Quote:
I am a middle aged Christian with moderate conservative views. I have not ever read the bible or dedicated myself to any Christian Church denomination.

For me, a person with general views of Christianity the options are confusing. I am looking for middle of the run type of church denomination to follow. Let me explain. For example, I read literature on Unitarian Universalist Church which appeared interesting but it was too liberal for me. On the flip side, Evangelicals are far to the right for me.

Please help!
Well, you won't feel comfortable in any church that preaches something you don't believe in. Something to remember about denominations is that they should not exist. Denominations in my opinion are a separation of the true church which is every believer in Jesus. If all believers agreed in the same gospel we wouldn't even have names for the churches. Maybe we would just call them the Place of Worship.

Being part of a church is a good thing. You can meet new people and participate in church events as well as relax on Sunday mornings and listen to the word being preached. Don't stay in any church you're not comfortable with. At first any new church may feel uncomfortable but give it a few Sunday's to see if it feels right for you. If you're looking for a place to just hear the gospel preached then I would recommend online. I listen to a preacher named Joseph Prince who is the pastor of New Creation Church in Singapore. He preaches the gospel of grace and I have found his preaching to be very enlightening and a lot of my questions were answered in the first couple months of listening to him preach than all the times I had attended a local church.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:20 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,732,746 times
Quote:
Please help!
Read the Sermon on the Mount and 1 Corinthians 13 . . . then evaluate everything you hear against them. Anything that contradicts or is incompatible with them is simply wrong. Find people who understand that and fellowship with them.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:30 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,042,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
My entire family considers themselves Christian and have never read the bible, they believe the fables they have been taught and live like the heathens they are.
How do heathens live - as opposed to non-heathens?

Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,433,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How do heathens live - as opposed to non-heathens?
what they see when they look into the mirror of God's Word (the Bible alone) determines how one does as opposed to the other.

A heathen rejects the true God
  • which prior to the written Word, they rejected when God spoke directly
  • which when God spoke directly to OT Prophets\ NT writers and he had them write down (which now is the Bible ... nothing else)
  • which today anyone who contradicts the written word which God had people penned i.e. the Bible
A heathen rejects God's will for them
  • which leads them to practice superstitions (humanism\ false religions \ cults\ atheists\ agnostics )
A heathen can live as morally pure as can be, but without faith, their humanistic morality means nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity