U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 PM

289 posts, read 425,151 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have an unusual question that is on my mind. I have always attended Church and prayed to God for guidance and also thanked him for all of my blessings including health of my family. Back in March of this year we had a number of issues that occurred to my family. My wife found out she would be losing her job at the end of the year, my youngest daughter was in a minor car accident, my oldest daughter had stomach surgery and I found out my employer will probably relocate in two years. I became very bitter and discouraged. I decided not to attend Church anymore, stopped praying and became distant from God. This is no one's fault but my own. In September I felt some pain in my knee and found out that I would need knee surgery in October. I was informed I will be out for 8 weeks and having time alone at home resting and having quiet time I started to ask myself this question... Did God have this happen so I would become close to him again? I know it is a reach but if there are any pastors or deeply religious Christians on this message board please let me know your opinion. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:51 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,877,342 times
Only you can distant yourself from God. He is always where He is. You stopped doing things and thought that He went away. God is where He had always been. You cannot shoo Him off.
God does not punish just because you stop going to church. That is in your mind. The church system has tried to push that agenda to keep you enrolled. Maybe God is now drawing you closer to a intimate relationship. One that does not require you to do much. One that puts Him back on the throne. One that you cannot get any glory.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:36 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,766,117 times
I don't think anyone can know the answer, but if you feel that this is God's way of getting you to be still so you can listen to him, it very well might be. Your recovery time could be wasted in many ways, especially if you feel a desire to tune in to spiritual things, then just do it and trust God to meet you there for your heart's desire to be closer to him is surely a joy to Him.

I was thinking about a similar thing recently - thinking about the fact that God is a personal being who we can both grieve and bring joy to. If we put ourselves in his shoes (for sake of understanding) how would you feel if you longed for intimacy and quality time with someone you love and they constantly ignored every opportunity for it). I'm sure most of us who have been married for a long time know the answer to that. God says he is married to us - so when we ignore the things of the spirit, it is like ignoring our spouse.

I hope you make a good recovery. And in fact, I am having surgery a week from today myself. So my life circumstances are similar to yours even though I have not been running from God, I do often work too much to tune into spiritual things as much as I should.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:20 AM

11,270 posts, read 11,286,561 times
My experiences which led to my present beliefs is that life is a series of random events that are under the control of God. Bad things happen to good people and to bad people. Good things happen to good people and to bad people. In all things there are some lessons to be learned to better you for the next world and how you grow from these bad experiences determines which level in the spirit world you will arrive at when you die, but you will be in the company of spirits that are at the same level of development as you because like-spirits tend to gravitate to like-spirits. All along the way there will be spirit guides to help you in your growth toward the ultimate oneness-with God.

Realize that all of us have loved ones taken from us. You are not alone, and blaming God for your woes is just a sign of immaturity--something you need to learn to deal with and accept that that is just the way life has worked out. This is why beautiful innocent children get leukemia and die and evil children go on living. It has nothing to do with God punishing you for some sins you committed; it has everything to do with these seeming random events keeping the universe in order in a way we cannot begin to understand. Example; if innocent children didn't die of horrible diseases there'd be something terribly wrong with the natural order of things, wouldn't there?

Old 11-02-2013, 03:40 AM

8,109 posts, read 7,083,089 times
Actually God does not come and put sickness or disease on anyone , or He does not take Jobs away from people ....... But in your lack of faith and interest in God and His provision , you invited the adversary spirit of this world to come back and make a home ....... See when believers turn their back and go back to the world then there are so many Words from God that` if people want the world then they can have the world and the curses in it if they want it `....... And then only repentance and turning away from the sin of the world and back to Jesus in faith and hope , as` we are to seek first the kingdom of heaven , then the all the things of God can be added ``........` Not to turn away from God and expect God to give us all the things of God `..... Best to turn back to God in repentance , as it is Good to forgive and then forget the sins of the old Church were you left and then find a better church where the Gospel is preached and there is evidence of Holy Spirit through the people , and then pray and give charity to Jesus and get your seed of faith on your table before the Lord

Old 11-02-2013, 05:19 AM

183 posts, read 140,530 times
It's not an unusual question and whether or not you go to church has nothing to do with it. I have not stepped foot in a 'church' in about 4 years and I never will again, my life has been blessed for it.

My life experience is unimportant to you, nor would you appreciate the miracles, no one would. That said, it was through tragedy that the Father got my attention.

When you realize that only through the Father's mercy are you even alive today.... that's when you begin to grow up.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 AM

19,950 posts, read 13,646,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
Hello, I have an unusual question that is on my mind. I have always attended Church and prayed to God for guidance and also thanked him for all of my blessings including health of my family. Back in March of this year we had a number of issues that occurred to my family. My wife found out she would be losing her job at the end of the year, my youngest daughter was in a minor car accident, my oldest daughter had stomach surgery and I found out my employer will probably relocate in two years. I became very bitter and discouraged. I decided not to attend Church anymore, stopped praying and became distant from God. This is no one's fault but my own. In September I felt some pain in my knee and found out that I would need knee surgery in October. I was informed I will be out for 8 weeks and having time alone at home resting and having quiet time I started to ask myself this question... Did God have this happen so I would become close to him again? I know it is a reach but if there are any pastors or deeply religious Christians on this message board please let me know your opinion. Thank You!
What has happened as a result? Have you grown in your walk with Christ?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 AM

Thank you everyone for your helpful knowledge and suggestions regarding this question. I am thankful I had all of you reply and I am beginning today to start a new chapter. Thank You!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 PM

Default Thank you and good luck on your surgery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I don't think anyone can know the answer, but if you feel that this is God's way of getting you to be still so you can listen to him, it very well might be. Your recovery time could be wasted in many ways, especially if you feel a desire to tune in to spiritual things, then just do it and trust God to meet you there for your heart's desire to be closer to him is surely a joy to Him.

I was thinking about a similar thing recently - thinking about the fact that God is a personal being who we can both grieve and bring joy to. If we put ourselves in his shoes (for sake of understanding) how would you feel if you longed for intimacy and quality time with someone you love and they constantly ignored every opportunity for it). I'm sure most of us who have been married for a long time know the answer to that. God says he is married to us - so when we ignore the things of the spirit, it is like ignoring our spouse.

I hope you make a good recovery. And in fact, I am having surgery a week from today myself. So my life circumstances are similar to yours even though I have not been running from God, I do often work too much to tune into spiritual things as much as I should.
Hello Heartsong, Thank you for the helpful advice. Very good message! Good luck with your surgery! I will remember your message.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM

Thank you everyone for your helpful information! I really appreciate your opinions and advice on this topic. I appreciate this message board! murph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or