U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:32 AM

40,084 posts, read 26,750,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Obeying Jesus has nothing to do with gaining eternal life. We have that thanks to Jesus. But following His instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't IS important for us to achieve our purpose as children of God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is not about rewards or punishments, SAAN. We will reap what we sow . . . but they are neither. Everyone seems to ignore the fact that we exist for a purpose and that we are to fulfill that purpose. The purpose is NOT to believe the right things ABOUT Jesus and God!!! We are children of God. Children are reproductions of their parents. God is agape love. We are to produce as much agape love as possible during our lifetime by following Christ's instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. It doesn't matter how long we are here or in what conditions or circumstances we find ourselves. It is about how much agape love we produce . . . 100 fold, 60 fold or 30 fold. Ignoring our PURPOSE for nonsense about beliefs is pointless. We are not pets doing tricks for rewards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The sad thing when you read threads like this is, it seams like believing the right things is mistaken for good works, and now signs and wonders. We know what Jesus said about this......exactly, I never knew you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Yes, and we have to tap into the gifts God has already given us. It takes knowledge and faith in what has been revealed to grow in the grace of God. The natural is a reflection of the spiritual and no woman on earth ever gave birth to a full grown adult. The same is true in the Spirit. But the baby talk is all around us.
You hit on the major problem created by and perpetuated by the mainstream religions, Heartsong. They have retained the "carnal milk" of our ancestors and venerated it as a sign of faith in God. They have stifled the normal spiritual growth and maturity that was supposed to occur. They wanted to grow membership and retain exclusive control at the expense of their members' spiritual growth and maturity. They carry a heavy burden for stifling the spiritual maturity of their members for over 2000 years now. It is a travesty and abomination before God of immense proportions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 AM

17,570 posts, read 10,635,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Biblical obedience means, simply, to hear, trust, submit and surrender to God and obey his Word.

I believe this is the mark of the Holy Spirit filling and leading a life and the sure evidence of God working, His workmanship, sanctifying a life in Him.

When God reveals His love to an individual it will create a heart that will hunger and thirst after righteousness. Seeking it (Him) with all their heart soul and mind. And God promised to fill them.

When I posted amen, agreeing in obeying God, let me make clear that my heart thoughts was that I truly do believe.....

That when someone states it in a way that demands, insisting that an individual MUST obey God in order to receive eternal life you are misrepresenting God's love and creating an emotional yoke of bondage, a false guilt causing such a person to emotionally carry a heavy load of responsibilities God never intended for one to do.
As Jesus said, come to Me all who are burdened and heavy laden and He will give us rest, is a far cry from insisting one MUST be a certain way or act in order to receive God's promises, eternal life.

Yes, the Bible does place strong emphasis on obedience, yet it is VERY important that one remember that believers are not justified (made righteous) by our obedience. Salvation is a free gift of God, and we can do nothing to merit it.
A true Christian obedience flows from a heart of gratitude for the grace we have received from the Lord God and it most definitely be evident that God has created a new changed life.

One of the greatest lesson for the believers today is found in the OT as God promised the Israelites a land filled with milk and honey from a life of bondage in Egypt, And all they had to do is trust and obey Him, resting in His provisions, believing Him all the way no matter what on their journey to the promise land.

Yet, did they ????

This is one of the greatest example for the believer today. Our promise land is eternal life, believing, trusting and yes,obeying by resting in God's provision, Jesus Christ, amen !

We walk by faith, not sight !

Blessings
Well if the will of God is that we do not murder, fornicate, etc, then not obeying that, no matter how many "altar calls" someone makes, they have a dead faith. Even that land of milk and honey they had to work to make it their home. Obedience in thought and actions is needed all the time someone is alive. IF we goof, we must repent and turn about or we spit on Jesus sacrifice.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,172,179 times
Quote:
Biblical obedience means, simply, to hear, trust, submit and surrender to God and obey his Word.

I believe this is the mark of the Holy Spirit filling and leading a life and the sure evidence of God working, His workmanship, sanctifying a life in Him.

When God reveals His love to an individual it will create a heart that will hunger and thirst after righteousness. Seeking it (Him) with all their heart soul and mind. And God promised to fill them.

When I posted amen, agreeing in obeying God, let me make clear that my heart thoughts was that I truly do believe.....

That when someone states it in a way that demands, insisting that an individual MUST obey God in order to receive eternal life you are misrepresenting God's love and creating an emotional yoke of bondage, a false guilt causing such a person to emotionally carry a heavy load of responsibilities God never intended for one to do.
As Jesus said, come to Me all who are burdened and heavy laden and He will give us rest, is a far cry from insisting one MUST be a certain way or act in order to receive God's promises, eternal life.

Yes, the Bible does place strong emphasis on obedience, yet it is VERY important that one remember that believers are not justified (made righteous) by our obedience. Salvation is a free gift of God, and we can do nothing to merit it.
A true Christian obedience flows from a heart of gratitude for the grace we have received from the Lord God and it most definitely be evident that God has created a new changed life.

One of the greatest lesson for the believers today is found in the OT as God promised the Israelites a land filled with milk and honey from a life of bondage in Egypt, And all they had to do is trust and obey Him, resting in His provisions, believing Him all the way no matter what on their journey to the promise land.

Yet, did they ????

This is one of the greatest example for the believer today. Our promise land is eternal life, believing, trusting and yes,obeying by resting in God's provision, Jesus Christ, amen !

We walk by faith, not sight !

Blessings
Very true and correct.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:02 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,264,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Well if the will of God is that we do not murder, fornicate, etc, then not obeying that, no matter how many "altar calls" someone makes, they have a dead faith.
Agree

Quote:
Even that land of milk and honey they had to work to make it their home.
Are you familiar with any of the OT ?

Quote:
Obedience in thought and actions is needed all the time someone is alive.
Agreed,
Yet, one in whom genuinely loves God will trust and obey the Lord because they have come to know the pure joy of a heart full of thankfulness for what Christ has done. And they desire nothing but to live a life hungering and thirsting after the righteousness of God.
Their deepest desires is to Keep them self in the love of God and not waiver to the flesh, the way they use to be. It is a desire, a love, not a have too because God said so.....

Quote:
IF we goof, we must repent and turn about or we spit on Jesus sacrifice.
What do you mean by "goof" ? .

A person who genuinely loves God knows not to play the games of "goof," as they have a love for Him which is greater then their "goofs" or should I say a desire to turn to sin.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 PM

17,570 posts, read 10,635,974 times
Quote:
Agree

Are you familiar with any of the OT ?
Very

Quote:
Agreed,
Yet, one in whom genuinely loves God will trust and obey the Lord because they have come to know the pure joy of a heart full of thankfulness for what Christ has done. And they desire nothing but to live a life hungering and thirsting after the righteousness of God.
Their deepest desires is to Keep them self in the love of God and not waiver to the flesh, the way they use to be. It is a desire, a love, not a have too because God said so.....
Yes without love we cannot [please God. With love we will exert ourselves to make God pleased with us.

Quote:
What do you mean by "goof" ? .

A person who genuinely loves God knows not to play the games of "goof," as they have a love for Him which is greater then their "goofs" or should I say a desire to turn to sin.
Yep sins are bad. We would not want to sin, have no desire to. Now that is easy for most things, but we each have one or more areas where we can be and are tempted. It is one thing to stumble into a hole and another thing to jump in.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:12 AM

1,542 posts, read 1,059,229 times
Quote:
Yes without love we cannot [please God. With love we will exert ourselves to make God pleased with

Yep sins are bad. We would not want to sin, have no desire to. Now that is easy for most things, but we each have one or more areas where we can be and are tempted. It is one thing to stumble into a hole and another thing to jump in.
Great post- I believe that if we have the spirit of the Holy Ghost within, we are able to avoid willful, premeditated malicious sins. We beg the Lord for forgiveness and He cleanses us of all unrightousness [1 John 1:9']
If we jump in, as you say, we are on the verge of commiting the unpardonable sin, which is unto death [Heb. 10:[26] For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth [which comes with the gift of the Holy Ghost, which Peter says in Acts 5:32 that God gives to those who obey Him.] there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
If we did not have a mind to obey Christ in a superficial repentance and did not have the Holy Ghost power, we can still be forgiven if we commit a willful sin if we truly repent this time, and receive the Holy Ghost.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Note the works that do not save are specifically the works of the Law, not works in obedience to God and His Son. Of course no work without faith is of anymore value than any faith without works. Both are dead.

However calling Jesus Lord, means he is your master and you must obey Him. Matt 28:19,20 being one example and there are others where we have direct commands from Christ, or the Apostles under inspiration.
Excellent post. Jesus Himself said, [46] And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 AM

32,227 posts, read 21,115,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Excellent post. Jesus Himself said, [46] And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
Robert, what do you believe the things which I say are ?.

Last edited by pcamps; 11-07-2013 at 05:55 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 05:26 AM

The sermon on the Mount (Matt. chapters 5-7) are chock full of the sayings of Jesus for starters.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 AM

11,826 posts, read 10,172,179 times
Quote:

Yes without love we cannot [please God. With love we will exert ourselves to make God pleased with us..
two observations,
[1] you said:
Quote:
Yes without love we cannot [please God..
The truth accurately from God's Word says:
"And without faith it is impossible to please God"
[2] you said:
Quote:
With love we will exert ourselves to make God pleased with us..
that's some pretty big talk coming from the created ... just how do you think anybody can make God do anything?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or