Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He gave humanity, the way, the truth; and the life that we should live.
Among other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:34 PM

238 posts, read 270,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
I am convinced that the OSAS doctrine is highly approved by Satan. It flies in the face of the 2nd part
of the great commission in Matt. 28:[20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:
and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

These are red-letter words of our blessed Lord and Savior'

Evangelist Greg Laurie agrees with James that Faith without works is dead, being alone. The vast majority of protestant denominations are turning the scriptures into a lie, insisting that we are saved by faith alone. The words quoted from Eph. 2:8-10 by the OSAS crowd usually leave out verse 10. EPh. 2:[8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast. [10] For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Yes, re: the part of your Matt 28 that I underlined ... please everyone sit down while reading this!
One of the most major things Jesus taught them was to evangelize with signs-wonders-miracles.
How's the church been doin' for 1700+ years carrying out the Great Commission?

Yes, re: your Eph 2:10 ... OSASers I've met just say the truly saved by grace naturally do good works.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:15 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
The sad thing when you read threads like this is, it seams like believing the right things is mistaken for good works, and now signs and wonders. We know what Jesus said about this......exactly, I never knew you.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:47 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelist-77 View Post

There are multitudes of warning passages that do not blatantly warn of losing eternal life.
Here is one of my favorites:

Matt 7:24-27 • “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them,
I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain
descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house;
and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them,
will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended,
the floods came,and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.”

“The difference between a true Christian and a false Christian cannot easily be seen …
If our greatest desire is to know Christ and to be like Him, then we are building our
house on the rock … The true Christian is the one who knows Christ and obeys Him.
He hears the words of Christ and puts them into practice (Matt 7:24).
To know Christ is to love Christ. To love Christ is to obey Christ.
He is the one who builds his house upon the rock.”
… The Applied New Testament Commentary, Thomas Hale, ChariotVictor Publishing

More verses to do with obeying Jesus

Heb 5:9 • “And after being perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.”
“It was through His obedience that Jesus became the source of eternal salvation.
In the same way, it is through our obedience to Him that we obtain that salvation.
… Both faith and obedience together are necessary for our salvation.
… It is impossible to separate faith and obedience; they are like two blades of a scissors.
… we are saved through obedience to Christ is the same as saying that
we are saved through faith in Christ” (see Reference above)

Luke 8:21 • “My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it.”
Luke 11:28 • “More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

John 14:15 • “If you love Me, keep My commandments.”
John 14:21 • “He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me.”
John 14:23 • “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word …”
John 15:14 • “You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.”

Rom 6:16-19 • “Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are
that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to
righteousness? … so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.”

In Romans 6:15-23, Paul is very tactfully saying:
“You had better be slaves of obedience, instead slaves of sin ... or face eternal death!”

Heb 3:17-18 • “Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned,
whose corpses fell in the wilderness? And to whom did He swear that they would not
enter His rest, but to those who did not obey?”

James 1:21-22 • “… receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to
save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”

“The word of God has been planted in us. We need to believe it, accept it, study it, nurture it.
If God’s word grows within us, it will save us. However, if we allow God’s word within us to die,
it will not save us (see Mark 4:14-20).” (see Reference above)
This last part is what the Parable of the Sower is teaching!

1 Pet 1:22 • “Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit …”
IMO, the Spirit told them to obey the gospel and Christ’s commands.

1 John 5:2-3 • “ By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and
keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments.”

1 John 3:24 • “Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.”

Warning: put your trust only in the Scriptures and the precious Holy Spirit.
Many say to obey Jesus but fail to obey Him themselves. He said "As the Father sent me that is how I send you". But yet I do not see anyone speaking and teaching as Jesus did. He said He sent His followers as He was sent with the same words given to Him. He said His followers are the light of the world but I hear no one saying this. If Jesus said we are to do as He did using the words He did and continue in His teaching why is it everyone follows Paul and not Jesus. Jesus said He came to spread the truth the word of God, the good news, so isn't that how to love your neighbor as yourself. You love yourself and give yourself the word of God so why not love others as you love yourself, with the word of God. That is how the son of man loves others.

The Lord says this;

"Let your heart hold fast to my words ,keep my commands so you will live."

"My son, receive my words and the years of your life will be many."

"Let the man who has my word speak my word and speak the truth."

The one who enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep.

Anyone who acts in truth comes to the light so that his deeds are revealed as works of God.

I am the light of the world, no one who follows me shall ever walk in darkness because they will possess the light of life.

Those are not my words but the words of the Lord who sent me. He commanded me what to say and how to speak and since I know His commandment is eternal life what I say is spoken just as He instructed me.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:50 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
What does it mean to you "to gain eternal life"? How do you define "eternal life"?

To many, that means un-ending existence in God's presence (in the future). But some know that we are now seated with him in heavenly places and have only to continue to grow in the knowledge of God and watch what God is doing as he changes us and our brothers/sisters from glory to glory. Our journey is to be an ongoing revelation of God to us.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:56 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Obeying Jesus has nothing to do with gaining eternal life. We have that thanks to Jesus. But following His instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't IS important for us to achieve our purpose as children of God.
Yes, and we have to tap into the gifts God has already given us. It takes knowledge and faith in what has been revealed to grow in the grace of God. The natural is a reflection of the spiritual and no woman on earth ever gave birth to a full grown adult. The same is true in the Spirit. But the baby talk is all around us.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:40 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Obeying Jesus has nothing to do with gaining eternal life. We have that thanks to Jesus. But following His instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't IS important for us to achieve our purpose as children of God.
Out of love not duty. Love seeks no reward.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
KJV Matt 7: 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Biblical obedience means, simply, to hear, trust, submit and surrender to God and obey his Word.

I believe this is the mark of the Holy Spirit filling and leading a life and the sure evidence of God working, His workmanship, sanctifying a life in Him.

When God reveals His love to an individual it will create a heart that will hunger and thirst after righteousness. Seeking it (Him) with all their heart soul and mind. And God promised to fill them.

When I posted amen, agreeing in obeying God, let me make clear that my heart thoughts was that I truly do believe.....

That when someone states it in a way that demands, insisting that an individual MUST obey God in order to receive eternal life you are misrepresenting God's love and creating an emotional yoke of bondage, a false guilt causing such a person to emotionally carry a heavy load of responsibilities God never intended for one to do.
As Jesus said, come to Me all who are burdened and heavy laden and He will give us rest, is a far cry from insisting one MUST be a certain way or act in order to receive God's promises, eternal life.

Yes, the Bible does place strong emphasis on obedience, yet it is VERY important that one remember that believers are not justified (made righteous) by our obedience. Salvation is a free gift of God, and we can do nothing to merit it.
A true Christian obedience flows from a heart of gratitude for the grace we have received from the Lord God and it most definitely be evident that God has created a new changed life.

One of the greatest lesson for the believers today is found in the OT as God promised the Israelites a land filled with milk and honey from a life of bondage in Egypt, And all they had to do is trust and obey Him, resting in His provisions, believing Him all the way no matter what on their journey to the promise land.

Yet, did they ????

This is one of the greatest example for the believer today. Our promise land is eternal life, believing, trusting and yes,obeying by resting in God's provision, Jesus Christ, amen !

We walk by faith, not sight !

Blessings

Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Biblical obedience means, simply, to hear, trust, submit and surrender to God and obey his Word.

I believe this is the mark of the Holy Spirit filling and leading a life and the sure evidence of God working, His workmanship, sanctifying a life in Him.

When God reveals His love to an individual it will create a heart that will hunger and thirst after righteousness. Seeking it (Him) with all their heart soul and mind. And God promised to fill them.

When I posted amen, agreeing in obeying God, let me make clear that my heart thoughts was that I truly do believe.....

That when someone states it in a way that demands, insisting that an individual MUST obey God in order to receive eternal life you are misrepresenting God's love and creating an emotional yoke of bondage, a false guilt causing such a person to emotionally carry a heavy load of responsibilities God never intended for one to do.
As Jesus said, come to Me all who are burdened and heavy laden and He will give us rest, is a far cry from insisting one MUST be a certain way or act in order to receive God's promises, eternal life.

Yes, the Bible does place strong emphasis on obedience, yet it is VERY important that one remember that believers are not justified (made righteous) by our obedience. Salvation is a free gift of God, and we can do nothing to merit it.
A true Christian obedience flows from a heart of gratitude for the grace we have received from the Lord God and it most definitely be evident that God has created a new changed life.

One of the greatest lesson for the believers today is found in the OT as God promised the Israelites a land filled with milk and honey from a life of bondage in Egypt, And all they had to do is trust and obey Him, resting in His provisions, believing Him all the way no matter what on their journey to the promise land.

Yet, did they ????

This is one of the greatest example for the believer today. Our promise land is eternal life, believing, trusting and yes,obeying by resting in God's provision, Jesus Christ, amen !

We walk by faith, not sight !

Blessings
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity