U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 PM

238 posts, read 229,315 times

Advertisements

There are multitudes of warning passages that do not blatantly warn of losing eternal life.
Here is one of my favorites:

Matt 7:24-27 • “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them,
I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain
descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house;
and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them,
will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended,
the floods came,and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.”

“The difference between a true Christian and a false Christian cannot easily be seen …
If our greatest desire is to know Christ and to be like Him, then we are building our
house on the rock … The true Christian is the one who knows Christ and obeys Him.
He hears the words of Christ and puts them into practice (Matt 7:24).
To know Christ is to love Christ. To love Christ is to obey Christ.
He is the one who builds his house upon the rock.”
… The Applied New Testament Commentary, Thomas Hale, ChariotVictor Publishing

More verses to do with obeying Jesus

Heb 5:9 • “And after being perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.”
“It was through His obedience that Jesus became the source of eternal salvation.
In the same way, it is through our obedience to Him that we obtain that salvation.
… Both faith and obedience together are necessary for our salvation.
… It is impossible to separate faith and obedience; they are like two blades of a scissors.
… we are saved through obedience to Christ is the same as saying that
we are saved through faith in Christ” (see Reference above)

Luke 8:21 • “My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it.”
Luke 11:28 • “More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

John 14:15 • “If you love Me, keep My commandments.”
John 14:21 • “He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me.”
John 14:23 • “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word …”
John 15:14 • “You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.”

Rom 6:16-19 • “Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are
that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to
righteousness? … so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.”

In Romans 6:15-23, Paul is very tactfully saying:
“You had better be slaves of obedience, instead slaves of sin ... or face eternal death!”

Heb 3:17-18 • “Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned,
whose corpses fell in the wilderness? And to whom did He swear that they would not
enter His rest, but to those who did not obey?”

James 1:21-22 • “… receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to
save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”

“The word of God has been planted in us. We need to believe it, accept it, study it, nurture it.
If God’s word grows within us, it will save us. However, if we allow God’s word within us to die,
it will not save us (see Mark 4:14-20).” (see Reference above)
This last part is what the Parable of the Sower is teaching!

1 Pet 1:22 • “Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit …”
IMO, the Spirit told them to obey the gospel and Christ’s commands.

1 John 5:2-3 • “ By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and
keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments.”

1 John 3:24 • “Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.”

Warning: put your trust only in the Scriptures and the precious Holy Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 05:59 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,148,021 times
Ah! Eternal Insecurity.

No assurance of eternal life outside of works.

Sorry, no. Does your Bible contain Ephesians, chapter two? Just curious. Mine does as well as the book of James.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Status: "Living rent-free in Mr. Wade’s head" (set 14 hours ago)

16,360 posts, read 8,903,254 times
John 6:29

29 Jesus said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

Old 11-04-2013, 09:57 AM

400 posts, read 452,521 times
In our first paradise in Eden there was a way to go out but no way to go in again. But as for the heavenly paradise, there is a way to go in, but not way to go out.
—Richard Baxter

Richard Baxter (1615-1691) was an English Puritan church leader, theologian, poet, hymn writer and prolific author. His life was one of ill health and much persecution. He was imprisoned twice, once for keeping a conventicle, a group of laypeople having religious meetings. The second imprisonment was for libeling the Church of England.

Christ Leads Me Through No Darker Rooms
-Richard Baxter, 1681

Christ leads me through no darker rooms
Than he went through before
And he that to God's kingdom comes
Must enter by this door.

Come, Lord, when grace hath made me meet
Thy blessed face to me
For if thy work on earth be sweet
What will thy glory be?

My knowledge of that life is small,
The eye of faith is dim;
But 'tis enough that Christ know all,
And I shall be with him.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 AM

11,826 posts, read 10,172,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
John 6:29

29 Jesus said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”

Old 11-04-2013, 10:49 AM

6,370 posts, read 5,818,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelist-77 View Post

There are multitudes of warning passages that do not blatantly warn of losing eternal life.
Here is one of my favorites:

Matt 7:24-27 • “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them,
I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain
descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house;
and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them,
will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended,
the floods came,and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.”

“The difference between a true Christian and a false Christian cannot easily be seen …
If our greatest desire is to know Christ and to be like Him, then we are building our
house on the rock … The true Christian is the one who knows Christ and obeys Him.
He hears the words of Christ and puts them into practice (Matt 7:24).
To know Christ is to love Christ. To love Christ is to obey Christ.
He is the one who builds his house upon the rock.”
… The Applied New Testament Commentary, Thomas Hale, ChariotVictor Publishing

More verses to do with obeying Jesus

Heb 5:9 • “And after being perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.”
“It was through His obedience that Jesus became the source of eternal salvation.
In the same way, it is through our obedience to Him that we obtain that salvation.
… Both faith and obedience together are necessary for our salvation.
… It is impossible to separate faith and obedience; they are like two blades of a scissors.
… we are saved through obedience to Christ is the same as saying that
we are saved through faith in Christ” (see Reference above)

Luke 8:21 • “My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it.”
Luke 11:28 • “More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

John 14:15 • “If you love Me, keep My commandments.”
John 14:21 • “He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me.”
John 14:23 • “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word …”
John 15:14 • “You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.”

Rom 6:16-19 • “Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are
that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to
righteousness? … so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.”

In Romans 6:15-23, Paul is very tactfully saying:
“You had better be slaves of obedience, instead slaves of sin ... or face eternal death!”

Heb 3:17-18 • “Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned,
whose corpses fell in the wilderness? And to whom did He swear that they would not
enter His rest, but to those who did not obey?”

James 1:21-22 • “… receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to
save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”

“The word of God has been planted in us. We need to believe it, accept it, study it, nurture it.
If God’s word grows within us, it will save us. However, if we allow God’s word within us to die,
it will not save us (see Mark 4:14-20).” (see Reference above)
This last part is what the Parable of the Sower is teaching!

1 Pet 1:22 • “Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit …”
IMO, the Spirit told them to obey the gospel and Christ’s commands.

1 John 5:2-3 • “ By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and
keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments.”

1 John 3:24 • “Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.”

Warning: put your trust only in the Scriptures and the precious Holy Spirit.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:03 PM

40,084 posts, read 26,750,404 times
Default The NT insists that you must obey Jesus to gain eternal life!

Obeying Jesus has nothing to do with gaining eternal life. We have that thanks to Jesus. But following His instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't IS important for us to achieve our purpose as children of God.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,068,110 times
Not obeying Jesus may not keep you out the Kingdom if OSAS is actually true, but I guarantee you will have not any rewards when you get to heaven. God will not reward equally someone who Loves him and follows his commands out of Love, not obligation vs someone who just does their own thing and ignores the commands of the father or just willfully disobeys them.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,900,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Ah! Eternal Insecurity.

No assurance of eternal life outside of works.

Sorry, no. Does your Bible contain Ephesians, chapter two? Just curious. Mine does as well as the book of James.
Apparently his bible does not include Matthew 25 either. You know, the one that says good works get you to heaven, but lack of good works gets you to that other place, whatever "that other place" may be.

Recently, Pope Francis declared that atheists can go to heaven. It would seem he places, as do I and many others, more importance on morality and good works than in the necessity of belief in God and Jesus.

Funny how there are those whose proofs of this, that, or the other doctrine consists of meandering through the bible picking those words and phrases that when stitched together create "proof" of their supposition.

The message of Jesus was very simple. Be right with God. Be right with your fellow humans. Everything else will take care of itself.

PS for those atheist out there, if you are right with your fellow humans, you will be right with God, whether you believe in Him or not. Hence atheist can go to heaven, If there is a heaven, something that remains a mystery.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,068,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Apparently his bible does not include Matthew 25 either. You know, the one that says good works get you to heaven, but lack of good works gets you to that other place, whatever "that other place" may be.
While works cant save your soul. Living a life of sin after you are saved will keep you out of heaven. No amount of OSAS doctrine can disprove the fact If a person was once a believer and turns around and is a atheist for the rest of their life and dies unrepentant in their sin, that they are not going to heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or