Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You continue top use Straw Men. Try to be clear and specific.

I say the RCC has biblical foundation for the Eucharist. You typically say: "Do you have a verse?". I showed you huge chunks of the NT. I am afraid I don't understand your point.
No strawman. I'm asking you to read it in context. If you suggest John 6 is the proof text passage for it then it says that by consuming the eucharist grants eternal life.

You seem to be completely missing that point. Maybe you don't want to see it....it would shatter the catholic teaching on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 01:19 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No strawman. I'm asking you to read it in context. If you suggest John 6 is the proof text passage for it then it says that by consuming the eucharist grants eternal life.

You seem to be completely missing that point. Maybe you don't want to see it....it would shatter the catholic teaching on the subject.
The NT has several passages that suggest salvation and they are somewhat different from each other. However, there is a theme going on. The NT suggests that Jesus is the path and from there this is emphasized in different manner more than once.

For me communion is just one component to salvation. I do not say it is the only path and neither does Jesus. However, he strongly encourages the Eucharist.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
The NT has several passages that suggest salvation and they are somewhat different from each other. However, there is a theme going on. The NT suggests that Jesus is the path and from there this is emphasized in different manner more than once.

For me communion is just one component to salvation. I do not say it is the only path and neither does Jesus. However, he strongly encourages the Eucharist.
This passage point blank states that if you partake of the flesh and blood of Christ you will have eternal life.

There is no argument -- if it points to the Eucharist, as you say it does, then that's all we need for eternal life.

So which is it?

1. This passage says nothing of the Eucharist?

-- or --

2. This passage teaches salvation by eating the Eucharist?

Old 11-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
This passage point blank states that if you partake of the flesh and blood of Christ you will have eternal life.

There is no argument -- if it points to the Eucharist, as you say it does, then that's all we need for eternal life.

So which is it?

1. This passage says nothing of the Eucharist?

-- or --

2. This passage teaches salvation by eating the Eucharist?
I pick no. 2!

Old 11-08-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I pick no. 2!
So baptism is not necessary? Confession to a priest? No believing in Jesus?

Just eat the wafer and you're good to go?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
So baptism is not necessary? Confession to a priest? No believing in Jesus?

Just eat the wafer and you're good to go?
Ha, ha. I told you a million times that salvation in the CC is a package. But, now I see where you were going.
And once again you used the straw man.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Ha, ha. I told you a million times that salvation in the CC is a package. But, now I see where you were going.
And once again you used the straw man.
you're the one that quoted this passage and asked "why the controversy?" If you are going to lean on this passage for the eucharist...then lean on it. The passage says that anyone that eats has eternal life--no other requirements. No other "package".

Now, if you would like to change your mind and say that this is not speaking of the eucharist, then ok.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
you're the one that quoted this passage and asked "why the controversy?" If you are going to lean on this passage for the eucharist...then lean on it. The passage says that anyone that eats has eternal life--no other requirements. No other "package".

Now, if you would like to change your mind and say that this is not speaking of the eucharist, then ok.
This is clearly suggesting the Eucharist. Is there any other interpretation? I would love to hear your take.:-)

Old 11-08-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
This is clearly suggesting the Eucharist. Is there any other interpretation? I would love to hear your take.:-)
Again--there are implications of the text. Haven't we covered this already? If you think this implies the eucharist...then the ONLY conclusion is that the eucharist grants one entrance to heaven. There is no mention of anything else being required. You don't seem to be getting that.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Again--there are implications of the text. Haven't we covered this already? If you think this implies the eucharist...then the ONLY conclusion is that the eucharist grants one entrance to heaven. There is no mention of anything else being required. You don't seem to be getting that.
I do. Jesus clearly says do.

But, I believe Jesus often talks about this issue using different phrases. In the end Jesus is saying that salvation comes through him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity