Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:15 PM

55 posts, read 62,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Yikes.

Does that include rejecting the lap top you're using?

Your chistianity is man's creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 02:46 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
But wait! That's not all! Every home-schooled child gets a free set of steak knives!

Consider the sources behind that piece of advertising...
Let me know when you've done so. Their sources are right at the bottom. Did you look them up?

Old 11-10-2013, 03:28 PM

Ultimately, I think the debate of homeschool vs formalized schooling comes down to this: Before the information age and all of the accompanying technological leaps forward, if you wanted knowledge you had to travel great distances to get it. You had to go to schools and universities and libraries when there weren't very many of them to be had. The average person was illiterate and never traveled outside of their home city or village. That is the era when a university education first became so highly touted and prized.

The world has undergone a radical change since then. If you want to know anything about anything, you don't have to travel miles and miles. You don't even have to leave home. Curricula are not the sole possessions of public schools. You can buy them for yourself. And without all the distractions you typically get from public schools, you can go through the material faster. Because we do not have 7 classrooms of 30 students each, we can spend more time focusing on the "students" making sure they've learned the material and giving them more individual help. Very unlikely that you're going to fail to notice that your kid is struggling or illiterate -- and those are things that public schools miss with great regularity. You get the invaluable ability of teaching your children to be self-starters and to independently work through it all. Since they are not limited by the rest of a class, they can move forward if they so desire. And quite significantly, homeschooling avoids much of the social pressure to drink, smoke, experiment with drugs and experiment sexually. You don't eliminate all problems but you can significantly decrease many of them. I can only guess, but I expect that the reduction of negative social pressures is what results in home-schooled kids testing out as better socially adjusted on average.

Here in the state of Illinois, our kids will be tested to ensure that we're getting the job done and that they are not falling behind.

So far, we've yet to hit the deciding line of "to preschool/kindergarten, or to home-school." Our oldest is 2 years old. But with pretty insubstantial effort on our part, our two year old son knows all of his colors, letters, letter sounds, shapes, counts to 50 and is already reading and writing a few hundred words. If our son wants to play football or basketball or whatever for the high school team, he has that option here without needing to be formally enrolled in the public school. The only hesitation on the matter are whether we will have enough time to do all the home-schooling and whether we will be able to do enough to ensure they get just as much social interaction as any other children.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:30 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Yes some of the schools are now forced to give sexual orientation were homo sexual are the thing to be , and schools are passing out condoms and the such to under age children ..and some were passing out clean needles to prevent aids and other diseases .. Then there is manipulation of other children to become corrupt into drugs and bullies , were intimidation is a common thing ....Then there are guns and knives and even these suicide murders ...... Then from the past corruption where the schools where offering witchcraft spiritual education through books and meditation

Old 11-10-2013, 10:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Yes some of the schools are now forced to give sexual orientation were homo sexual are the thing to be , and schools are passing out condoms and the such to under age children
So do you think that having condoms available encourages sex?

If I recall correctly, teenagers had sex long before condoms were common. Better to have them then not... The sec is going to happening happen anyways. Would you rather have kids out of wedlock or disease spread?

Yeah abstinence is the ideal but it avoids the reality.

Quote:
...... Then from the past corruption where the schools where offering witchcraft spiritual education through books and meditation
What it's wrong with meditation and what does that have to do with witchcraft? Even if it did, so what?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So do you think that having condoms available encourages sex?

If I recall correctly, teenagers had sex long before condoms were common. Better to have them then not... The sec is going to happening happen anyways. Would you rather have kids out of wedlock or disease spread?
I think parents can be wiser than the typically are, but nothing is as inevitable as you seem to think it is. Insisting that your son or daughter carry a condom with them at all times would protect them, true. It would also send a very clear message that you have absolutely no faith in their ability to a exercise a little self control. In a way, you're giving them permission to have premarital sex to their hearts content, which isn't a good message. I'm just not sure that giving up on morality and abandoning all faith in our kids' ability to make intelligent decisions is the best solution.

Quote:
Yeah abstinence is the ideal but it avoids the reality.
I managed it. So did my wife. So did all 5 of my siblings. In our very sexualized modern society, self control and responsible behavior are not easy, but millions of people on this planet manage to abstain from having sex until they are married. You make it sound like it's impossible when people manage it all the time.

Quote:
What it's wrong with meditation and what does that have to do with witchcraft? Even if it did, so what?
Meditation is a perfectly Christian practice. I suppose it depends though. If there were a specific non-Christian spiritual end-goal in mind -- which would be true of traditional Hindu practice of Yoga -- then it could become anti-Christian. Yoga as practiced by fitness experts in the USA generally deletes the Hinduism from the Yoga and only preserves the healthy aspects of it.

I think I'd need to know more particulars about the specific example they're referencing. If its like the schools in the Bay Area of Cali that were reciting the Muslim confession of faith daily, then I think I'd have a problem with that.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 11-11-2013 at 07:44 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I think parents can be wiser than the typically are, but nothing is as inevitable as you seem to think it is. Insisting that your son or daughter carry a condom with them at all times would protect them, true. It would also send a very clear message that you have absolutely no faith in their ability to a exercise a little self control. In a way, you're giving them permission to have premarital sex to their hearts content, which isn't a good message. I'm just not sure that giving up on morality and abandoning all faith in our kids' ability to make intelligent decisions is the best solution.
When my kids went to high school (15-20 years ago now) there were condom machines in the bathrooms. I was on the parents council at the time and we had a very long debate about approving them, before doing so. I was originally opposed but in the end changed my mind... It was for the greater good.

Quote:
I managed it. So did my wife. So did all 5 of my siblings. In our very sexualized modern society, self control and responsible behavior are not easy, but millions of people on this planet manage to abstain from having sex until they are married. You make it sound like it's impossible when people manage it all the time.
Nope, just being realistic that sex is going to happen with a large number of teens whether parents want it to happen or not. I recall way back in my days ion catholic school, the girls who came from the most religious families seemed to be the most likely us boys could get "lucky" with. It got so we would target them as dates, because the " success" ratio was so high... and that was back in the'60s.

Don't assume a strict religious upbringing causes abstinence in teens.
he Yoga and only preserves the healthy aspects of it.

Quote:
I think I'd need to know more particulars about the specific example they're referencing. If its like the schools in the Bay Area of Cali that were reciting the Muslim confession of faith daily, then I think I'd have a problem with that.
I would object to that as much as I would object to any type of prayer in school.

Religion belongs at home or church, mosque, temple, or synagogue.

Nowhere else.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:15 PM

668 posts, read 690,346 times
I remember my first and second grade teachers reading the bible to us and allowing one of us to pray and to pray at lunch. It is our responsibility to teach our children and those in our care about God. No matter what some judge say's about it.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
I remember my first and second grade teachers reading the bible to us and allowing one of us to pray and to pray at lunch. It is our responsibility to teach our children and those in our care about God. No matter what some judge say's about it.
Yup, I remember the same thing.

Thought they were pretty good fairy tales then (seriously, I'm not being sarcastic and I was in grade one and two),
and now I can't understand that adults actually swallow that.

Keep that stuff out of schools... All of it, no matter what religion.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM

668 posts, read 690,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yup, I remember the same thing.

Thought they were pretty good fairy tales then (seriously, I'm not being sarcastic and I was in grade one and two),
and now I can't understand that adults actually swallow that.

Keep that stuff out of schools... All of it, no matter what religion.
You would have to kill all of our children and Christians employed to keep it out. You will never stop it. God is greater than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity