Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 02:50 PM

264 posts, read 350,929 times

Advertisements

I have heard people say that they never pray for themselves, that they only pray for others because they think it is selfish.
The error in that thinking though, is that prayer should not be just about asking for things to enjoy. We enter His presence with PRAISE AND THANKSGIVING for all He has allowed us to have, His provision, protection and His Word and then our continued prayer should be about coming to our Father to help guide us in the way that we should walk. It should be used for admitting our failures standing NAKED(nothing hid) before Him and asking for God to create in us a new heart so that we can be changed inwardly so that we may receive the blessing of Abraham in Christ Jesus.

He says to not worry about what you will eat or wear, but to seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness(way of doing things) and all your needs will be taken care of supernaturally by the Blessing and favor.
We spend so much time asking God to help someone else in their sinful hurdles, not realizing that He can not and will not take another's free will to make them obey Him, it must be THEIR request to have Him work within them, not ours.
When we seek Him to work in others, God says, why not let so and so worry about their faults and come to me about them, and lets talk about YOURS for you can not save them and they can not save you.
We do pray for others, but it is more of a prayer that we forgive them for any offenses against us so as it not be credited to their account come judgment day. We do that so that God will forgive us our short comings that offend Him and others that we have done.
To ask God to bless an unbeliever, who wants nothing to do with God or His Son, with a job, new house or anything, is WRONG. For unless they are believers and ask you to pray to God for them, they will NOT give the glory unto God, but them own selves. God will not perform miracles without receiving the GLORY for it. We can pray for His mercy upon them for their unbelief.

So the next time you come to the Father in prayer and after you enter into His presence with your THANKSGIVING and PRAISE (WORSHIP) ask Him to fill you with His precious Spirit and His Forever Word of wisdom to give you a heart to do what is good and right in His sight for it benefits that friend that you are wanting to pray for when they see the example that you use on them more than any other thing you can do for them. Jesus is the Bread of LIFE and we become what WE choose to eat and our children become what we put into them! Serve them living water and Bread of life which I call the True Breakfast of champions!

Last edited by afaithfulone4u; 11-16-2013 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: added and corrected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 03:05 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,045,936 times
Hello. I see that you found this site. I haven't been on Christianityboard for some time now. It's pretty slow. I hope that you enjoy it here.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:06 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
I've found praying in love and faith for others tends to look after myself.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:07 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,045,936 times
BTW - I will pray for myself once in awhile but I accept God's judgment if I don't get what I asked for.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:10 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
In 1 Chronicles 4: 9-10......There was ..``And Jabez was more honorable than his brethren and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow.....And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying . Oh that you would bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that your hand might be with me , and that you would keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me !....And God granted him that which he requested ....``.......See this man Jabez prayed a bless me , me ,me and keep me from evil and God blessed the man ...... So these prayer for yourself can be in the will of God ...

Old 11-16-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In 1 Chronicles 4: 9-10......There was ..``And Jabez was more honorable than his brethren and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow.....And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying . Oh that you would bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that your hand might be with me , and that you would keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me !....And God granted him that which he requested ....``.......See this man Jabez prayed a bless me , me ,me and keep me from evil and God blessed the man ...... So these prayer for yourself can be in the will of God ...

Oh, please do not ever think that I don't believe in the BLESSING of God for us for we are children of the KING of the universe and all things belong to Him and us as His OBEDIENT children. Our blessed life comes as we shed our fleshly desires that cause us to sin, that is why the world is so needy, they just don't realize the BENEFITS of coming to God and being willing to change.
Solomon prayed for wisdom to guide God's people and the LORD WAS ABLE to make Solomon WEALTHY for Solomon's heart was right before God. It is not MONEY that is the sinful thing... it is the LOVE of the money so much that we will be UNFAITHFUL TO CHRIST, meaning we will be unfaithful to God's Word to gain it. Wealth is good when we learn to worship the Creator who owns all things and can give it to whom so ever He sees FIT! Seek the blessing of God for a GOODLY life, by finding the GREAT PEARL(WISDOM)

Prov 3:11-19
11 My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:
12 For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.
13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.
14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.
15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.
16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.
17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.
19 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.
KJV

Old 11-16-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
BTW - I will pray for myself once in awhile but I accept God's judgment if I don't get what I asked for.

God's will is His Word. Does God want you sick so you die? Broke so you steal beg or borrow?
Let your requests be known unto God, even Jesus did that at his asking to take the cup away, but then He said I want what is the best Father, and you know what is best so YOUR will in this be done.
We don't always know what is best in the long run, but God does. So tell Him what you would like, but also let Him know that if it is NOT for your best in the long run... please don't answer it. But we should expect it by faith to come to pass knowing that He will even do a greater thing we may never have expected and that is just as satisfying. He just needs something to work with, for if we don't ask, we don't get : ) Yet WISDOM to grow on is the thing to seek the most as we are growing babes in Christ and kings reign by the Word/Wisdom of God.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:24 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times
you have to keep any prayers for self under 50%.
lol.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Hello. I see that you found this site. I haven't been on Christianityboard for some time now. It's pretty slow. I hope that you enjoy it here.
Bless you : )

Old 11-16-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I've found praying in love and faith for others tends to look after myself.
Well, we do always wish well for others, and we should pray for our body, meaning the body of believers in Christ, but it doesn't help our inward growth unless we ask God to keep working in us. We do not pray for the lost to be saved, they MUST come to repentance of their own FREE WILL.
Jesus himself did not pray for the lost, did you know that?
John 17:9
9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
KJV
1 Thess 5:18-25
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
19 Quench not the Spirit.
20 Despise not prophesyings.
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.
25 Brethren, pray for us.
KJV
2 Thess 1:11
11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
KJV

Luke 21:36
36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
KJV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity