U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:30 AM

27,994 posts, read 46,359,104 times

Advertisements

Statue of Jesus offers hope by surviving typhoon unscathed

This statue of Jesus Christ is located in the town of Tanauan, in the Philippines, and, in what's being called a miracle, it survived being flattened by the typhoon that destroyed nearly everything else in the region. The statue sits atop Cavalry Hill, overlooking the ruins of the town, and it's said to be a symbol of hope to the local residents, who are largely Catholic.

Jesus statue survives typhoon in the Philippines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 AM

264 posts, read 276,061 times
I am sorry that this will seem harsh to those who do not understand God is not pleased with idolatry images and I am very sad for the people, but there are no statues of Jesus, this is a man made idol carved by man's hands. How is it that they believe this to be a likeness of Jesus calling it God? Could it be that that is the reason for destruction?
Lev 26:1
26:1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.
KJV
Deut 4:25-26
25 When thou shalt beget children, and children's children, and ye shall have remained long in the land, and shall corrupt yourselves, and make a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, and shall do evil in the sight of the LORD thy God, to provoke him to anger:
26 I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that ye shall soon utterly perish from off the land whereunto ye go over Jordan to possess it; ye shall not prolong your days upon it, but shall utterly be destroyed.
KJV
Deut 5:8-9
8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:
9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,
KJV

Old 11-17-2013, 09:49 AM

8,825 posts, read 6,296,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
I am sorry that this will seem harsh to those who do not understand God is not pleased with idolatry images and I am very sad for the people, but there are no statues of Jesus, this is a man made idol carved by man's hands. How is it that they believe this to be a likeness of Jesus calling it God? Could it be that that is the reason for destruction?
Lev 26:1
26:1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.
KJV
Deut 4:25-26
25 When thou shalt beget children, and children's children, and ye shall have remained long in the land, and shall corrupt yourselves, and make a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, and shall do evil in the sight of the LORD thy God, to provoke him to anger:
26 I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that ye shall soon utterly perish from off the land whereunto ye go over Jordan to possess it; ye shall not prolong your days upon it, but shall utterly be destroyed.
KJV
Deut 5:8-9
8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:
9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,
KJV
That commandment is against idolatry and pagan religions. Christianity is not a pagan religion.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 AM

264 posts, read 276,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
That commandment is against idolatry and pagan religions. Christianity is not a pagan religion.
I hope I am not misunderstanding your response. I am taking it as you are against what I said. If not, please forgive me. I so then this is my response:

Strange, I took it right out of the Bible... are you denying THE WORD as Truth?
Acts 17:29-30
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
KJV

Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever and the Word never dies. There are still 10 original commandments as it is written in THE STONE who is Christ, however they are condensed to 2 which if done correctly cover all 10. For in the beginning was THE WORD and he is the way, the TRUTH and the LIFE and you can not say you love the Father unless you LOVE the Son who is the exact image of God. For God's Word must be exactly as God whom he proceedeth from.
John 1:1-2
1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
KJV

Lest we forget, that while God did judge the children by the father's actions in the old covenant, All who have not received Christ LIVE under the old covenant and this still applies to them. It is only when we receive Christ and desire a new creation in us that we come out from under that curse where now each man woman and child is judged solely by their own actions and God says the soul that sinneth IT shall die. He says that a soul that keeps on sinning, does not know God.
Ezek 18:2-4
2 What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?
3 As I live, saith the Lord GOD, ye shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel.
4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
KJV

Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
Could it be that that is the reason for destruction?
Nope.

There was destruction because a massive typhoon swept over the Philippines. The typhoon occurred because we live on this planet called Earth which is subject to storms, earthquakes, mudslides, fires, ice storms, etc., none of which happen because God (or anyone else) is mad at us. They are the natural order of things.

I have no idea why the statue survived. But I'm very sure it will give hope to a lot of people. And hope is a good thing.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:05 PM

21,260 posts, read 20,865,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nope.

There was destruction because a massive typhoon swept over the Philippines. The typhoon occurred because we live on this planet called Earth which is subject to storms, earthquakes, mudslides, fires, ice storms, etc., none of which happen because God (or anyone else) is mad at us. They are the natural order of things.

I have no idea why the statue survived. But I'm very sure it will give hope to a lot of people. And hope is a good thing.
Tried to rep you but couldn't. At any rate, I agree with everything you've said.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:38 PM

269 posts, read 162,118 times
hi there... the statue weighed a ton, doesn't anyone think that would have everything to do with it?

i don't understand how that offers hope?
anyone?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:40 PM

269 posts, read 162,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
hi there....

perhaps it's weight had something to do with it.

hope is a good thing, but i would argue that hoping in hope isn't.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:06 PM

17,689 posts, read 8,866,529 times
Quote:
That commandment is against idolatry and pagan religions.
Christianity is not a pagan religion.
It is very much syncretistic, drawing upon various ideologies.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:19 PM

30,138 posts, read 19,964,744 times
Quote:
It shouldn't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or