Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:42 PM

174 posts, read 504,906 times

Advertisements

There are those whom we are instructed not to pray for.

when do we cease to pray for someone???

I John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he should pray for it.

God seeks for intercessors. He wants us to intercede for saints, sinners, etc. Yet, there is one group for whom we are not to intercede.

The purpose of intercession is to keep God's mercy upon a person, in replacement for the judgment that they deserve. The mercy does not bring forgiveness, but the mercy allows God to treat them as though they were forgiven. As Jesus prayed while upon the cross, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." And Stephen prayed: "Lay not this sin to their charge."

There is a time when God refuses to be merciful. He will refuse to convict the person for whom we might intercede. He even has instructed us not to pray and intercede for them. This is a time of severity of God.

Romans 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

In the text, the Lord describes this sin as the "sin unto death." We have more commonly called it the "unpardonable sin." Any other sin, but this one, does not bring premature death to the soul. This sin causes the soul to be eternally damned, and there is no remedy for it. The person who thus sins, will never feel conviction again. The Holy Spirit is the source of conviction, and He is personally offended. He will not convict, and if there is no conviction, there can be no repentance. So if one sins the "sin unto death", it does no good to pray for them.

It is possible, and even demanded that we pray for any, and every, sin other than this one. If anyone sins any other sin, we are to intercede for them, so God will extend more mercy to them.

Jeremiah 7:16 Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to Me, for I will not hear thee.

Jeremiah 11:14 Therefore pray not thou for this people; neither lift up cry or prayer for them; for I will not hear them in the time that they cry unto me for their trouble.

Jeremiah 15:1 Then said the Lord unto me, Though Moses and Samuel stood before Me, yet, My mind could not be toward this people; cast them out of My sight, and let them go forth.

After giving Jeremiah these words, God's presence left the Temple. The city was soon destroyed, and the Temple was also. These ones about whom God spoke, were killed in the slaughter, or were taken to die in captivity in Babylon.

About this same group Ezekiel was told:

Ezekiel 14:14-16 Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job were in it, they should deliver but their own souls by their righteousness, saith the Lord God... Though these three men were in it, as I live, saith the Lord God, they shall deliver neither sons, nor daughters; they only shall be delivered, but the land shall be desolate.

Now, I am not instructing you. But, keeping you mindful of God's will towards some. Others have pointed out the possibility of a false conversion. It may be within God's will to turn this man's heart to Him. Your part would be to seek out God's will. If it is so, He will provide you the means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM

58 posts, read 137,500 times
Do you guys pray that G-d will also take pity on Adolf Hitler?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:36 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
What about Saul on the road to Damascus? Do you feel that this cannot happen again;
Saul murdered (savagely) many Christians and look at what He did to Stephen.
Yes where do you draw the line; IMO we don't we're to just obey what Christ commanded us as followers of Him, and leave the rest up to the Great White Throne of Judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity