U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 07:24 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,115,332 times

Advertisements

Hi, what does this really mean? Does it mean that those who blasphemed against the Holy Spirit would be consigned to everlasting hell or everlasting death? The Pharisees had seen the work of the Holy Spirit but said that it was the work of the ruler of the demons, so how could they receive forgiveness anyway because they would not accept it as the work of God? Jesus specifies that whoever spoke against the Holy Spirit would not be forgiven in this age or in the age to come as recorded in Matthew 12:31 and in Mark 3:28-20, it is recorded as an “eternal” (aionios) sin, aionion refering to an “age" literally. What was the penalty? I believe that it was exclusion from participating in the promises relating to the kingdom in this age and in the age to come. These religious leaders expected to participate in the coming kingdom, but they would believe in Jesus even though they had seen the work of the Holy Spirit . But if it was more, when someone is not forgiven or pardoned for a sin, they must pay the penalty for the sin. When someone pays the penalty for a crime, if it is for a specific number of years they are released after serving the time. And if they are given life in prison, doesn’t there come a time upon their death when they are released from the prison cell? And if they are given the death penalty, they pay the penalty of death. Does this mean that their death is everlasting death? How can it be everlasting death when death itself is to be abolished one day? (1 Corinthians 15) and so the unforgivable or unpardonable sin means that the person will pay the penalty or has paid the penalty, whatever it is. If you believe that it was death (which Paul describes as the wages of sin), then there will be a release when according to Romans 8, the whole of creation is to delivered from the slavery to corruption and changed into the glorious freedom of the children of God. Just sharing. God bless

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 11-23-2007 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 07:39 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,444,066 times
The unpardonable sin is to say that there is no god.

Why? Because if you believed there is no god, you can't very well ask for pardon from him, can you! However, if you changed your mind, repented of saying it, asked to be forgiven, then, of course you would be pardoned.

Have the rules been changed?

Old 11-23-2007, 07:50 PM

Well, you made a good point, Padgett. I was looking at the passages that many Christians refer to to describe the unforgivable sin. I guess the Jewish leaders of the day believed in God but they didn't believe that Jesus was the Son of God and wouldn't accept the miracles as coming from the God that they worshipped. If they attributed the miracles to Beelzebul, then they would be in a way denying God because is was His work, I guess. What do you think? God bless.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:53 PM

55,519 posts, read 74,405,087 times
i dont believe its what i believe that is going to get me bbq'ed.
i think it is what i do, my actions, that will determine that.
my beliefs and a $1.60 will get you a cup of coffee at starbucks.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:03 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,492,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i dont believe its what i believe that is going to get me bbq'ed.
i think it is what i do, my actions, that will determine that.
my beliefs and a $1.60 will get you a cup of coffee at starbucks.
Amen..
But whicht starbucks can you still get a cup of coffee for $ a buck sixty?LOL
Lighthearted humor only; don't bbq me bunky"
"just marinade me cajun spicy, and fry me in peanut oil"

Old 11-23-2007, 08:08 PM

Well, if you believe that you may be bbq'ed, even you will receive a release, maybe after you are toasted real good. God bless you.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:04 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,869,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Well, you made a good point, Padgett. I was looking at the passages that many Christians refer to to describe the unforgivable sin. I guess the Jewish leaders of the day believed in God but they didn't believe that Jesus was the Son of God and wouldn't accept the miracles as coming from the God that they worshipped. If they attributed the miracles to Beelzebul, then they would be in a way denying God because is was His work, I guess. What do you think? God bless.

One thing that always kind of confused me about the casting out of demons and miracles is this. Jesus said how can satan cast out satan. But in the last days he said people will come to him and say didn`t we cast out demons in your name and perform miracles in your name? Then he will say depart from me..I never knew you. So if they never knew him ..then by what power were they casting out demons and performing miracles?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:37 PM

Hi spm62, I never realized that. Maybe those who were casting out demons and miracles were doing counterfeit acts, not authentic in the name of Jesus and so they weren't really casting out demons or performing miracles? Just a thought. Take care and God bless.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:51 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,869,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi spm62, I never realized that. Maybe those who were casting out demons and miracles were doing counterfeit acts, not authentic in the name of Jesus and so they weren't really casting out demons or performing miracles? Just a thought. Take care and God bless.
Good point..I always learn something from you..lol

Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,779,109 times
Originally Posted by spm62
Quote:
then by what power were they casting out demons and performing miracles?
Because they didn't perform any miracles? Just invoking Jesus' name while trying to cast out spirits doesn't mean that you truly believe in Jesus.
False prophets cannot perform any miracles, they only appear to be doing miracles.
Some people only use Jesus' name to attract followers and not to help people.
They only want to help themselves to their victimís money, respect or other things they deem valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity